Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2014, 04:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,759 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering relocating to orange county, ny; specifically Warwick. We both currently work in Manhattan; he is a police officer and I am a registered nurse. We would be leaving the Bethpage/plainview area of Nassau county where we are close to the LIRR into penn station, beaches, shopping, restaurants etc. My husband grew up in Orange County so he is not worried about the transition for him; only the added commute. I on the other hand have lived on long island for almost my entire life and it would be a huge adjustment for me. I always enjoy our visits to see his family and the outdoor activities I have been introduced to but it is just so different from everything I know. I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who has made the move from long island to Warwick (or other areas in close proximity) We are newly weds and would like to start a family in a few years. I have heard that Warwick is home to many cops and fireman so I know that the commute is doable but I am just wondering how much of a stress it is. The main reason for moving off long island is so that we would be able to afford a nice home while allowing me to work part time while our children are young. It seems that there are plenty of homes in the low $300g's range in Warwick; homes that would easily be 750g or more in our current neighborhood. To summarize, I would greatly appreciate insight on the following;

1) Stress of Commute to midtown manhattan
2) How abundant is shopping, entertainment, nice restaurants?
3) What activities are there to do? Especially in the summer? (I'm used to the long island beaches)
4) Warwick School district
5) Town services; ex garbage pickup, how fast are roads plowed after a snow storm

We want to make the best decision for our family. We have crunched the numbers more times than we'd like to remember and while a modest home on long island in our dream neighborhood is within our financial means; it just would not be possible for me to work part time when we have children without causing a huge financial strain. As a nurse I am not dead set on staying at my current job in Manhattan and could transfer to a hospital closer to our home but unfortunately my husband does not have that option. While he says he would be willing to do that drive everyday I don't want his commute to be a total nightmare.

I would love to hear from people in the area, especially husbands/wives/families of nypd/fdny. Are you happy with the quality of life? I'm really just looking for some reassurance and to be sold on the idea! Thanks so much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 11:41 AM

715 posts, read 2,509,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD222 View Post
My husband and I are considering relocating to orange county, ny; specifically Warwick. We both currently work in Manhattan; he is a police officer and I am a registered nurse. We would be leaving the Bethpage/plainview area of Nassau county where we are close to the LIRR into penn station, beaches, shopping, restaurants etc. My husband grew up in Orange County so he is not worried about the transition for him; only the added commute. I on the other hand have lived on long island for almost my entire life and it would be a huge adjustment for me. I always enjoy our visits to see his family and the outdoor activities I have been introduced to but it is just so different from everything I know. I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who has made the move from long island to Warwick (or other areas in close proximity) We are newly weds and would like to start a family in a few years. I have heard that Warwick is home to many cops and fireman so I know that the commute is doable but I am just wondering how much of a stress it is. The main reason for moving off long island is so that we would be able to afford a nice home while allowing me to work part time while our children are young. It seems that there are plenty of homes in the low $300g's range in Warwick; homes that would easily be 750g or more in our current neighborhood. To summarize, I would greatly appreciate insight on the following;

1) Stress of Commute to midtown manhattan
2) How abundant is shopping, entertainment, nice restaurants?
3) What activities are there to do? Especially in the summer? (I'm used to the long island beaches)
4) Warwick School district
5) Town services; ex garbage pickup, how fast are roads plowed after a snow storm

We want to make the best decision for our family. We have crunched the numbers more times than we'd like to remember and while a modest home on long island in our dream neighborhood is within our financial means; it just would not be possible for me to work part time when we have children without causing a huge financial strain. As a nurse I am not dead set on staying at my current job in Manhattan and could transfer to a hospital closer to our home but unfortunately my husband does not have that option. While he says he would be willing to do that drive everyday I don't want his commute to be a total nightmare.

I would love to hear from people in the area, especially husbands/wives/families of nypd/fdny. Are you happy with the quality of life? I'm really just looking for some reassurance and to be sold on the idea! Thanks so much in advance.
Hello,

While I am not NYPD/FDNY, I have lived in Orange County for quite some time. Not too many OC residents on here, but hopefully this answers some of your questions:

1) Stress of commute to Midtown Manhattan: There is no sugar coating it; it can be draining. Total commute time will range from 1 hour each way to 2 hours on the absolute worst days. As for how you get it done, there are a couple of options. You can drive (17A -> 87), take the train (MNRR/NJT) from Tuxedo, or take the bus from Warwick. Each option has its own set of pros/cons. For example, taking the train can allow you to get work done or take a nap; however, it can be a longer process since you have to drive to the station, wait for the train, etc. Driving means that you have to take the windy 17A, which can be troubling during a bigger snow storm, but it allows you some more personal freedom. The bus only drops you off at the Port Authority, so you'll need to get from there to your place of work.

2) How abundant is shopping, entertainment, nice restaurants? Pretty abundant for a small town. Of course, you have your basic amenities in Warwick, along with a variety of shops, and several good restaurants. As for big box stores, there are none. Closest Target/Walmart/widespread shopping experience is Monroe to the north, or in Bergen County to the south for more upscale options. This is part of the reason why NYPD/FDNY move to Warwick: to escape the rat race and live a more relaxing lifestyle. So in a way, the rural nature of Warwick is part of what makes it pleasant. For entertainment, there are mountains in the area if you like skiing and hiking, and you are on the fringes of the Hudson Valley, which offers a wide variety of nature experiences. Other entertainment (movie theater, for instance) can be found in Monroe. Of course, there is plenty of entertainment in NYC, but you probably won't want to ever go in on one of your days off. You will still be inside of the NYC digital market area; this means little change with the TV stations/radio stations that you are used to.

3) What activities are there to do? Especially in the summer? (I'm used to the long island beaches) Touched on this in the previous answer. I think the Hudson Valley parks are amazing. You could always take a day trip to the Catskills, to a spot like Mohonk. There is also the Warwick Beach at Greenwood Lake and Mountain Creek. Obviously, there isn't anything comparable to the Atlantic Ocean-facing beaches of Long Island, but the Jersey shore isn't a long drive away.

4) Warwick School district: Have no firsthand experience with it, but have generally heard good things. Most of the schools in Orange County are solid.

5) Town services; ex garbage pickup, how fast are roads plowed after a snow storm: No firsthand experience, but have to imagine that garbage pickup is done in reasonable time. Roads plowed quickly after a snow storm, but will be sketchy during one. Warwick sees ~40 inches of snow a year. Most spots on Long Island average ~25 inches.

I would advise taking a trip to Warwick, if you haven't already, have dinner, talk to locals, etc.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York