Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 06:06 PM

17 posts, read 48,681 times

Advertisements

For some time now we have been looking for a new home state. We currently live at the beach in Los Angeles in a place many would call perfect. Unfortunately, we just hate it here. We hate the crowds, the politics, the traffic, the snooty people, the weather, etc. We also have a house in Spokane, WA and it is an improvement but not where we want to settle down forever. (family in Spokane, will always own that house and spend some of the year there)

After looking at all the typical western states that Californians flock to we are now jumping to the other side of the country. We need so much help!

We want a smaller community but within an hour of a good sized city. We want a little space between us and the neighbors but don't necessarily need acres and acres. We need the airport a lot and do enjoy cultural activities. (after living in CA, an hours drive to live theatre would be no problem) We need basic services like a movie house maybe a Target near by... LOL We need good schools or a good number of homeschoolers. We need the seasons. (yes, even cold winters) I am a big tree lover so nothing too too flat. I am a Christian progressive (liberal I suppose) and I am married to a non religious Jewish man. Our kids are being raised Christian but I just don't want to be in a place where Jews are a complete novelty. It would be nice if hubby could at least go to temple on high holidays if he chooses too. LOL

Finding a job is not an issue but I would hate to be in a place where the economy was terrible and I was basically ensuring my children would have to leave when they grow up. (this is part of what turned us away from Montana) Lastly, a place where they do not hate folks from Los Angeles would be great.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 09:24 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,268,313 times
There are synagogues in Buffalo, Syracuse, Albany, Binghamton, Rochester, and Watertown and also in the smaller cities of Oswego, Utica, Troy, Lake Placid, Ithaca, Ogdensburg, Oneonta, and Auburn.

The smaller cities will have fewer jobs but most are within commuting distance to the larger cities where your kids may find jobs later on. Most all of upstate is hilly, green, and treed. The smaller cities will have a lower crime rate as will the suburbs of the larger cities.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:58 AM

10 posts, read 66,477 times
I would go with New Jersey, I lived there for 20 years before coming to NYC, and when i go home to visit, it's an hr. train ride. Check out Middletown and Red Bank. You can go to WWW.MOMLS.COM, then click on residential listings to browse houses and get neighborhood profiles which will show you everything you need to know about the town. Also, there are always Targets and local markets, malls that will within driving distance and 2 airports within 1 hr. away.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:16 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,856,761 times
I would consider the suburbs of Buffalo NY - you have great schools and great homeschool organizations, you could consider clarence, where the homes are not on top of one another, yet 5-10 minutes from target, movies etc toronto is not far and the airport would be about 15 minutes from clarence. I actually live in this area, if you want more details, feel free to pm me, or just ask specifics
Good Luck
Colleen

Old 11-29-2007, 11:46 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
The suburbs of Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse or Albany would be the areas that would fit your criteria. Pretty much accross the board actually. I'd suggest taking a "tour de Upstate NY" and figuring out which one you like best.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:15 AM

3 posts, read 10,311 times
Have you considered some areas in Northern California? I would suggest reconsidering California and look at the areas of Grass Valley, Auburn, Paradise, Burney, and Weaverville. All of these communities offer small town presence without the scorching valley heat or depressing rain of the North Coast.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:55 AM

14 posts, read 70,266 times
Default LA to Rochester :)

I moved from LA to a suburb of Rochester early last summer and couldn't be happier! Love it here. If I drive a mile in one direction, I'm in farmland -- two miles the other way, every store, movie, etc. People here are wonderful and although this week I'm having to learn how to drive in the snow, it's beautiful. Moving here was one of the best things I ever did for myself and my family.

Summers here (at least this past one) are more like Santa Monica than NYC. We only had 10 or so days that were humid/uncomfortable. The rest of the time was 75-low 80s. Thunderstorms are magnificent and there are no earthquakes. Skies are bluer than you've ever seen.

One thing you will notice right away here is that your stress level will decrease substantially. When you need to go somewhere, you really don't have to factor traffic into the equation. People smile and say hello here and there are millions of things to do. Nature is all around and on a normal day you will see flocks of geese, deer and other little creatures.

I really miss my family and friends, but although I've lived in LA most of my life, I don't miss it one bit.

I would say anywhere in the Finger Lakes area would be a good place to start.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:21 AM

118 posts, read 626,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniebird View Post
I moved from LA to a suburb of Rochester early last summer and couldn't be happier! Love it here. If I drive a mile in one direction, I'm in farmland -- two miles the other way, every store, movie, etc. People here are wonderful and although this week I'm having to learn how to drive in the snow, it's beautiful. Moving here was one of the best things I ever did for myself and my family.

Summers here (at least this past one) are more like Santa Monica than NYC. We only had 10 or so days that were humid/uncomfortable. The rest of the time was 75-low 80s. Thunderstorms are magnificent and there are no earthquakes. Skies are bluer than you've ever seen.

One thing you will notice right away here is that your stress level will decrease substantially. When you need to go somewhere, you really don't have to factor traffic into the equation. People smile and say hello here and there are millions of things to do. Nature is all around and on a normal day you will see flocks of geese, deer and other little creatures.

I really miss my family and friends, but although I've lived in LA most of my life, I don't miss it one bit.

I would say anywhere in the Finger Lakes area would be a good place to start.
AnnieBird~

I have spent the majority of my life living in the suburbs of Rochester. It is so nice to hear a complement about my hometown from someone who has moved here from such a large popular city as you.

I LOVE this area and would encourage anyone in the world to move here if they could.

I just wanted to say thank you for making me smile this morning....a lot of people who have moved away from here just love to be negative, so your positive comments are a joy to read.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:42 AM

71 posts, read 321,605 times
Default Jersey seems to fit your bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger5165 View Post
I would go with New Jersey, I lived there for 20 years before coming to NYC, and when i go home to visit, it's an hr. train ride. Check out Middletown and Red Bank. You can go to WWW.MOMLS.COM, then click on residential listings to browse houses and get neighborhood profiles which will show you everything you need to know about the town. Also, there are always Targets and local markets, malls that will within driving distance and 2 airports within 1 hr. away.
I wholeheartedly agree. Jews are NO novelty in Jersey. That's first off. I am a Unitarian, also a mixed religion family, and there are tons of UU churches in Bergen County as well as Synagogues and Temples for every level of Jew. The JCC's are more for the laid back Jews who go to high holiday, and of course we have tons of churches for everyone. But seriously, try Unitarian Universalist Church in Paramus - it is full of Christian/Jew Mix families.

Just so you know, despite the Sopranos, Jews are very well represented in Jersey.

Anyway. I would suggest trying a town like River Vale, Hillsdale, Franklin Lakes, Mahwah, Woodcliff Lake, and you will have everything you need at your fingertips, depending on how much money you have to spend on a home. Newark airport is close, about 40 mins. It is the best airport around. I would unequivically avoid Laguardia and JFK airports at all costs. Ugh.

MANY Blue Ribbon schools in Jersey. Some of the best systems are in Bergen County. Of course, my kids went to Waldorf School in New York State when I lived there, which was also a fantastic school!

If you did go to New York Upstate, you're looking at a more laid back style, but less to get to and less to do. Economy not as good.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:00 AM

165 posts, read 662,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needtoescape View Post
We hate the crowds, the politics, the traffic, the snooty people, the weather, etc.
We want a smaller community but within an hour of a good sized city. We want a little space between us and the neighbors but don't necessarily need acres and acres. We need the airport a lot and do enjoy cultural activities. (after living in CA, an hours drive to live theatre would be no problem) We need basic services like a movie house maybe a Target near by... LOL We need good schools or a good number of homeschoolers. We need the seasons. (yes, even cold winters) I am a big tree lover so nothing too too flat. I am a Christian progressive (liberal I suppose) and I am married to a non religious Jewish man. Our kids are being raised Christian but I just don't want to be in a place where Jews are a complete novelty. It would be nice if hubby could at least go to temple on high holidays if he chooses too. LOL

Finding a job is not an issue but I would hate to be in a place where the economy was terrible and I was basically ensuring my children would have to leave when they grow up. (this is part of what turned us away from Montana) Lastly, a place where they do not hate folks from Los Angeles would be great.

Any ideas?
I recommend Northern Westchester County, particularly the Bedford Hills/Katonah/Goldens Bridge/Mt.Kisco area. Generally lots of space (many areas have 4-acre zoning), cultural opportunities abound, primarily in NYC but some locally, definitely 4-seasons, LOTS of trees and LOTS of rolling hills (aesthetically beautiful). There is much diversity in religion and politics, (Jew, Christian, no difference... and mixed Jew/Christian marriages are prevalent.). Tons of non-natives, this diversity is one of the things that makes the area great, so no LA hating going on. Schools are excellent.

On the possibly negative side: Grossly expensive housing in parts so you WILL mix with snooty people from time to time (but most in the area are good, normal, hard-working people). The airport proximity could be an issue... the three NY airports are going to be a long drive... Newark is the usually the shortest drive at about 1 hr 15 minutes WITHOUT traffic, sky's the limit with traffic, LaGuardia and Kennedy are closer but usually take much longer to get to with traffic. Bradley in CT is a possible option at about 1 hr 45 min away.

I assume that since you said within an hour of "good sized city" that should pretty much rule out the rest of the state since Buffalo clocks in as the second most populous, but at about 30 times smaller in size to NYC. But if city populations of about a quarter million or less do not scare you, Buffalo and Rochester are worth a look (you should closely examine economic health and job market issues though). Personally I am a bit creeped out at the surprisingly large religious-right presence in WNY but there are some very nice more liberal-thinking areas to find enjoyment in living in WNY. True religious diversity tends to exist more in the urban centers of Buffalo and Rochester and only select suburban areas. In Buffalo the geography tends to be FLAT as a pancake until you reach the pleasant southtowns where there are scenic rolling hills. Relatively close Toronto is a MAJOR asset to the area, but border crossing can often times mean huge delays due to the lines at customs, which makes Canada trips much less convenient than they used to be.

Best of luck to you and your family!

EDIT - Arghh... just noticed your Buffalo, Rochester comment in parentheses so you can discount my comments re: Northern Westchester, but still consider that area if you have not ruled it out for some reason. Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York