Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2014, 07:15 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yes, it is a big employer in the area and was spared the cuts that the company made for plants in a few other states. Ironically, Clayton Manor apartments are right next to the Lockheed Martin plant.
This information may be helpful too: Onondaga County Largest Employers

http://www.rochesterbiz.com/Data/Pri...ers%202013.pdf

List: Largest Employers - List: Largest Employers - Business First

Mohawk Valley Largest Employers | American Registry - Recognition Plaques, Award Plaque, Countertop Display, Acrylic Displays, Banner Printing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 08:41 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
One thing I noticed is that the entire civilized Rochester area is only about 14 miles in diameter. That's pretty small! Does it feel like a small city?

Old 01-28-2014, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
One thing I noticed is that the entire civilized Rochester area is only about 14 miles in diameter. That's pretty small! Does it feel like a small city?
It relatively dense/compact in comparison to many areas and it is easy to get around in. Hopefully, locals will chime in.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:06 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,821,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That is fine, but I still never suggested Pine Tree and if what you say is correct, then that is more reason not to check it out given its proximity to that site. There are also some other apartments near Lockheed Martin's Vine Street entrance.

If I'm reading that right, the issue is south of the Thruway, in which Clayton Manor is north of the Thruway and Lockheed Martin. If I'm not mistaken, the residential area in question is the Sunflower Park area, perhaps and there are apartments nearby and rentals within that development. There appears to have been a clean up at the Bloody Brook and contamination was concentrated on site.
I'm fairly certain you did recommend Pine Tree, but it doesn't matter. I checked it out when I checked out Clayton Manor.

Bottom line, ckh, is that you argue the most common sense of things that I post. If I say, "there is a different feeling at the coast, and that's why people vacation there and 39% of the US lives in a coastal county", there really isn't a debate about that. Its factually true unless you live in a cave. Then you back someone up who stupidly posts that I'm wrong, cause they prefer NYC (a coastal city) to Orlando (an inland city). Someone who just proved my point. Someone who had to be right because Orlando is Southern and NYC is in NY. That is so stupid. You do these things just to start an argument with me.

So many people on here see this, hence why my rep points are almost the same as my post #. They're mostly because people can't believe this nonsense that you post, for the sole purpose of defeating me in a conversation.

If I say taxes in NY are high, which is completely documented by 10000000000000 publications, you'll continue to harp on the fact that Southern states have HOA fees or $25 a year vehicle taxes, so it evens out. Really? $5k in property tax evens out with $25 a year in a vehicle tax. Just accept certain inalienable truths and then we can have a fair debate here.

I'm also keen on using "metro" stats to trump up low crime stats, and using "city" stats when comparing demographics.

I can't be bothered with this anymore. Arguing with an anonymous internet poster. I'm mad at myself for wasting time on this. You'd also be better off spending time with your wife and kids rather than debating me. So, I'm bowing out. There's no point in arguing anymore. Good day, sir.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I'm fairly certain you did recommend Pine Tree, but it doesn't matter. I checked it out when I checked out Clayton Manor.

Bottom line, ckh, is that you argue the most common sense of things that I post. If I say, "there is a different feeling at the coast, and that's why people vacation there and 39% of the US lives in a coastal county", there really isn't a debate about that. Its factually true unless you live in a cave. Then you back someone up who stupidly posts that I'm wrong, cause they prefer NYC (a coastal city) to Orlando (an inland city). Someone who just proved my point. Someone who had to be right because Orlando is Southern and NYC is in NY. That is so stupid. You do these things just to start an argument with me.

So many people on here see this, hence why my rep points are almost the same as my post #. They're mostly because people can't believe this nonsense that you post, for the sole purpose of defeating me in a conversation.

If I say taxes in NY are high, which is completely documented by 10000000000000 publications, you'll continue to harp on the fact that Southern states have HOA fees or $25 a year vehicle taxes, so it evens out. Really? $5k in property tax evens out with $25 a year in a vehicle tax. Just accept certain inalienable truths and then we can have a fair debate here.

I'm also keen on using "metro" stats to trump up low crime stats, and using "city" stats when comparing demographics.

I can't be bothered with this anymore. Arguing with an anonymous internet poster. I'm mad at myself for wasting time on this. You'd also be better off spending time with your wife and kids rather than debating me. So, I'm bowing out. There's no point in arguing anymore. Good day, sir.
Yeah, we'll agree to disagree on the Pine Tree recommendation. I use or try to use stats that are relevant to the thread. I never equated our taxes with a vehicle tax. I said that property taxes are based on real property here and that many states use real and other property to get their tax money. I stated that OVERALL cost of living is on par with many Southern state metros/communities when looking at Upstate metros/similar communities. Even those that have lived in both state this.

Finally, it is called a debate and no one is getting killed or personal on here.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:52 PM

245 posts, read 431,728 times
Oh my, this thread has devolved...lol

Poor nep321 is probably sitting there like... "What did I start???" :P

Old 01-28-2014, 01:54 PM

I act on my own and you can debate things without name calling. My point is that you can offer a range of information without being pro anything. Make all the assumptions you want, but you don't know anything about me and don't tell me what I've said, when I know what the conversation entails. Perhaps the agenda comes from the person in the mirror.

Lastly, my parents are from SC and MS, while I have siblings in NC and VA. So, there is no hate towards the South and I'm relaying information from people that live in the South. So, even that does make sense.

Here's some info: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-31-2014 at 06:51 AM..

Old 01-28-2014, 01:57 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
I looked into the weather patterns of the upstate NY metro areas and do not like what I see. It's significantly colder than CT!

Syracuse has three months straight of daily high temps averaging below freezing. Ouch!

Buffalo and Rochester each average daily highs of only 31 degrees in January. But in CT, we average 36 degrees.

In the summers, Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse all average at around 81 degrees, but in CT it averages around 86 degrees. That's disappointing man!

Old 01-28-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsauce711 View Post
Oh my, this thread has devolved...lol

Poor nep321 is probably sitting there like... "What did I start???" :P
It is quite sad, especially when that one person dogged him out and uses the thread for their platform to create drama in regards to another poster. Again, I apologize nep321. What's odd is that when the same poster was looking for a job, I PM'ed job openings from up here, as he was claiming to have a "desire" to move up here.

This same guy apologized to me in a PM, because he thought that I PM'ed him about not finding a job in Upstate NY while others may have. So, this is what we're dealing with. Very much out of the blue.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-28-2014 at 02:21 PM..

Old 01-28-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I looked into the weather patterns of the upstate NY metro areas and do not like what I see. It's significantly colder than CT!

Syracuse has three months straight of daily high temps averaging below freezing. Ouch!

Buffalo and Rochester each average daily highs of only 31 degrees in January. But in CT, we average 36 degrees.

In the summers, Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse all average at around 81 degrees, but in CT it averages around 86 degrees. That's disappointing man!
This is well documented and as you may know, it obviously snows more up here on average. That will be something to consider when weighing pros and cons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York