U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2007, 01:37 PM

60 posts, read 328,278 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to Upstate NY, and would like to choose a suburb of one of the bigger cities for purposes of finding employment and entertainment.

My husband is a computer programmer, and I am a CPA. Can anyone help us in comparing the suburbs of one city to the next? (suburbs of Syracuse, Albany, Buffalo, and maybe Rochester or Ithica?)

Is any particular city more apt to having a bigger selection of IT/Computer jobs?

How do the areas compare in terms of:

1. Job opportunites

2. Safety

3. Selection of Towns with good school systems. Any particular towns?...

4. Family-friendly towns. Towns that offer alot of activities for children

5. Snowfall. We love it. Lots of it.

Any information provided would be greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 04:18 PM

5,265 posts, read 15,691,183 times
I'm bias of course, but I truly do believe that the suburbs of Rochester are some of the nicest towns in NY state. Brighton and Pittsford schoools are the two highest rated in Upstate NY, and in the top 50 nationally. The Rochester suburbs of Greece, Hamilin, Hilton, Irondequoit, and Webster are the only ones of any of the metro areas that have a significant shoreline with one of the Great lakes (the shoreline of Lake Erie near Buffalo doesn't seem to have nearly as much residential areas, which I suppose some may see as a good thing).

Old 12-03-2007, 02:36 AM

130 posts, read 148,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWonder View Post
How do the areas compare in terms of:

1. Job opportunites

2. Safety

3. Selection of Towns with good school systems. Any particular towns?...

4. Family-friendly towns. Towns that offer alot of activities for children

5. Snowfall. We love it. Lots of it.

Any information provided would be greatly appreciated!
As for the southern 'burbs of Syracuse (which are very close to the rural areas) I'm not sure on the job area, but I'd be wary of Syracuse in general, unless you aready have something lined up.

Saftey: on the suburbs seems pretty good- the really rural areas are very low crime, and patrolled by Sherifs and State Police (be careful on your speeds, depending on what state you're coming from, you may not be used to this--the law enforcement guys use radar! They also do "BUNY" , "Buckle Up NY" stops to check for seatbelts) Cazenovia and Manlius seem to have a very apparent police presence--although no crime...

Family Friendly: My children are older (12-18), but friends who live in Cazenovia have little ones and there seems to be a never ending Mom's taxi-service to ballet lessons, story-times at the library, and the ever popular riding lessons. The school system is quite good, and impressively, the high school displays it's awards for "good sportsmanship" in league wrestling just as proudly as they display their pennants for sectional wins in other sports. If you like a town where people will adamantly insist their kids "behave"--this is the one.

I can't tell you off the top of my head, but I'm fairly certain the HS in Caz has some fantastic graduation rate, probably a fantastic SAT score average as well.. Most of the inhabitants of the town are upper middle class, and the housing prices will reflect that....BUT...take a map of the district and then interpose it over a regular map. The district has engaged in gerrimandering in it's finest form. For some unknown reason, the district is not as it would seem and SOME residents of nearby communities qualify for education in Caz...

In terms of "family Friendly" the town of Cazenoia has a Seminary and a small college, with mostly "artsy" types...the students who wander about are pleasant and polite.

Entertainment...Um. I'm not sure what you mean by this. Nightlife? Museums? Festivals (OHHHH, do they have festivals here!)? Antiquing on the weekends? Or spending time with the kids?

Snowfall: It's here. This is to the South of Syracuse, a hilly area with lakes, rivers and waterfalls. Yes. there's plenty of snow. To the North of the city of Syracuse, the land becomes flat, and the proximity of the Great Lakes render the area INCREDIBLY snowy (It's called "Lake Effect") which may be a bit more than you're looking for..then again, maybe not.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:12 PM

70,777 posts, read 97,732,191 times
Since people are still viewing this, the Albany area is a part of the Tech Valley region and would likely have positions in IT/Computer Programming. Just do your research.....

By the way, there only one small suburb(Nedrow) south of Syracuse.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:56 AM

7,841 posts, read 8,282,570 times
I think that you'll find IT jobs in decent abundance in any of the big upstate cities. You might not with Ithaca unless you were to get a job with Cornell. I think your best bet would be to have at least one job "in hand" before moving, not vice versa.

Buffalo has a good-sized banking sector as well as several major insurance operations (back office ops where the IT and accounting folk labor). It also has a growing biomedical industry as well as high-tech industry.

Buffalo's more select suburbs that get a lot of snow are south of the city: Hamburg, Orchard Park, and Eden. All of these are close to rural areas, especially Eden which is more exurban than suburban. Boston, another exurban area, feeds into the Hamburg Central schools. Hamburg village has a nice downtown area and the village exudes charm. The only problem with these southern suburbs -- the Southtowns -- is that there are all that many IT jobs. Most of the IT jobs are going to be in/around downtown Buffalo or out in the northern/northeastern suburbs.

The biggest of Buffalo's suburbs, just northeast of the city, and probably the most diverse in everything except geography (it's kinda flat) is Amherst. It has several excellent districts, most notably Williamsville, and some that are much more average. It has all kinds of housing, from modest little houses built immediately after WW II to McMansions on cul-de-sacs. Some neighborhoods, like in the village of Williamsville, are very walkable while other areas are typical suburban sprawl and still others areas are much more exurban. Another northeastern suburb is Clarence which is a typical outer ring suburb which is primarily residential with large, newer homes on large lots.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:19 PM

70,777 posts, read 97,732,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I think that you'll find IT jobs in decent abundance in any of the big upstate cities. You might not with Ithaca unless you were to get a job with Cornell. I think your best bet would be to have at least one job "in hand" before moving, not vice versa.

Buffalo has a good-sized banking sector as well as several major insurance operations (back office ops where the IT and accounting folk labor). It also has a growing biomedical industry as well as high-tech industry.

Buffalo's more select suburbs that get a lot of snow are south of the city: Hamburg, Orchard Park, and Eden. All of these are close to rural areas, especially Eden which is more exurban than suburban. Boston, another exurban area, feeds into the Hamburg Central schools. Hamburg village has a nice downtown area and the village exudes charm. The only problem with these southern suburbs -- the Southtowns -- is that there are all that many IT jobs. Most of the IT jobs are going to be in/around downtown Buffalo or out in the northern/northeastern suburbs.

The biggest of Buffalo's suburbs, just northeast of the city, and probably the most diverse in everything except geography (it's kinda flat) is Amherst. It has several excellent districts, most notably Williamsville, and some that are much more average. It has all kinds of housing, from modest little houses built immediately after WW II to McMansions on cul-de-sacs. Some neighborhoods, like in the village of Williamsville, are very walkable while other areas are typical suburban sprawl and still others areas are much more exurban. Another northeastern suburb is Clarence which is a typical outer ring suburb which is primarily residential with large, newer homes on large lots.

Hope this helps.
There may be some with Ithaca College and TC3, as well as some of the startup/other private companies in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York