Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 11:42 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,483 times

Advertisements

I left NY when I was 18 and have lived in 4 other states.

I liked NM very much. I liked MA a bunch. I did not spend a lot of time in TX but I was kind of neutral about the place.

Currently living in PA about 2 miles from the NY border. I have mixed feelings now about living in this area. While I think it is great if you are looking to raise a family and want relatively cheap housing I have not bonded to my new hometown like I did to NM or MA. And when I returned to NY I felt that all the changes made in Orange County just made it a place that I no longer fit in. Yeah it is a great place, but it is not ME.

So, I did come back to NY for over a year, am living right over the border right now. But I am itching to go back to MA, maybe the berkshires?Pioneer Valley or even back to NM.

But my parents are there to stay and I will always come back and visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2006, 06:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,657 times
Default Look Before You Leap

Last summer, I spent two weeks in Orlando, Fl for business and pleasure. I have family there and I had considered selling my house on LI to move south. After spending the time there, I can honestly say I don't want to live there because there are too many properties for sale or lease. This seems to indicate there is no stability, no community, and no interest to grow. Just last weekend, I went to a wedding in my old neighborhood in Brooklyn. After living (struggling) on LI for 15 years, I long for the comfort of home. The convience of travel, the ethnically mixed neighborhoods, and proximity to family and friends who never left. LI is very segregated. I'm tired of it. My children were exposed to tons of extra-curricula activities but generally the school system is over-rated. My husband and I received stronger academic preparation in NYC schools. I regret that my children did not have the same. Already my oldest has dropped out of college so I'm trying to bribe my younger one with $1,000 cash, to finish early in order to save me from the agony of living through Senior year. College for the younger one will start at a community college, most definitely. If you don't really have to leave the area you grew up in DON'T!

Old 10-22-2006, 07:25 AM

431 posts, read 2,125,804 times
Unhappy sorry folks

Okay, some of you think that i am just a miserable negative person and that is not the case. but it's just that NY is so unique that when you are raised there and then move, it is extremely difficult to adjust to other places. I'm not the only one obviously so i know it's not that I have issues. Sometimes I do wish that I did not grow up in NY, then i could live in any of the other 49 states and be happy. I noticed that most of the U.S. is pretty much the same. I think GA is a good state to live and raise a family, etc...But coming from NY, it's not my cup of tea. Yes i recognize that NY is the odd ball. I don't expect the rest of the country to change for us. I do recognize that life here in the South is exactly as it should be. I am trying to make the most of the situation. It did allow me to become a homeowner which I could not afford to do in NYC. But don't be mad at me for expressing how I feel. I will probably go back in a few years. I am not able to do so now due to my responsibilities as a parent. If I were single, I would not even be here in the first place. So no hard feelings to anybody in the South. I apologize on behalf of all of the disgruntled northern transplants. We still love you, we just don't love Southern life.

Old 10-22-2006, 07:39 AM

Default Latinaleida, i totally agree with your thoughts

You are so right about the no stability thing in ORlando. Same for GA. These states are so transient. People come and go. I feel so bad for my son. He makes friends, then they move, then he starts all over again. I grew up in Brooklyn too and to this day, my mom is still there. The same people that I grew up with are still there. You definitely feel a sense of community in NYC even though people not from NY would not understand that. They think NY is so big and so overcrowded, but it's so much more close knit than anything i've experienced in the South. I do miss that and the multicultural experience. If only NY weren't so expensive. It's really a shame how people are being forced out because of money. I lived in Long Island too before I moved and people are moving out so fast, it's not even funny. And it's not that people want to move, it's because they have to. I know alot of people down south get mad at us for complaining and then ask us why we don't just go back home. Well it's not like we wanted to come here in the first place. It's like if you live in another country and suddenly the militia came to kill you, you'd have to run away to another country. Well that's how I feel except it's not about military or political threat, it's a financial threat. Really really tragic for so many families. NY is now for the rich and the poor. Everybody else in between is having to say goodbye.

Old 10-22-2006, 02:19 PM

233 posts, read 906,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
You are so right about the no stability thing in ORlando. Same for GA. These states are so transient. People come and go. I feel so bad for my son. He makes friends, then they move, then he starts all over again. I grew up in Brooklyn too and to this day, my mom is still there. The same people that I grew up with are still there. You definitely feel a sense of community in NYC even though people not from NY would not understand that. They think NY is so big and so overcrowded, but it's so much more close knit than anything i've experienced in the South. I do miss that and the multicultural experience. If only NY weren't so expensive. It's really a shame how people are being forced out because of money. I lived in Long Island too before I moved and people are moving out so fast, it's not even funny. And it's not that people want to move, it's because they have to. I know alot of people down south get mad at us for complaining and then ask us why we don't just go back home. Well it's not like we wanted to come here in the first place. It's like if you live in another country and suddenly the militia came to kill you, you'd have to run away to another country. Well that's how I feel except it's not about military or political threat, it's a financial threat. Really really tragic for so many families. NY is now for the rich and the poor. Everybody else in between is having to say goodbye.
Okay, I do agree with the community comment. The way NY neighborhoods are clustered allows you to almost grow up like one big family. I haven't witnessed that anywhere else I've lived. It's nice to go home to visit, because people are truly happy to see you.

Old 10-22-2006, 03:00 PM

40 posts, read 199,615 times
Default hey, maybe we can split the bill on the uhaul truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Moov View Post
There is SOME southern hospitality. I've been to places in the south where I actually felt "weird" because people were being so nice. Oddly enough the two places that stand out have similar names. Columbia, SC and Columbus, GA. I think the more you can appreciate how they live, the more they will like you. Too many NY'ers go elsewhere and hate it because well to us, most places outside of NY just plain suck. However, these people like living that way. So when you take an area that has seen a large amount of people from either NY or the northeast in general, move in over a short period of time, the locals will exhibit some frustration in dealing with it. I would never trade the experience though. Living in the state of Pennsylvania for the last 6 years has made me appreciate both New York City and Long Island alike. If you were born in NY, it's just too hard to leave. These other states are probably just fine for the people that were born there as well.
[...]

Let's just sit back and wait for that RE market in NYC/LI to take a nice healthy dump, then we'll all rush in and pick up the pieces. 6 to 12 more months should do the trick. In the meantime, start packing that stuff you never use. That's what we're doing. Then in about 9 months "Hello is this Uhaul? Yeah, I want a BIG truck, one way to Suffolk County Long Island."

The market is changing, prices are going to drop, so I'm waiting and keeping my eyes open for a good deal so i can come back. By the way suffolk county prices are droping I've seen houses for $280-$350 and low taxes.

Last edited by Yac; 10-23-2006 at 05:34 AM.. Reason: quote shortened

Old 10-23-2006, 07:27 AM

348 posts, read 430,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
Hate to clue you but New York is also a Right to Work state. You can be fired (or quit) at any time for any reason or no reason at all. There is no more protection in New York than elsewhere. The only exception is if you are under an employment contract or collective bargaining agreement.
That's right. The USA is a country where we work at what's legally called "at will." That means that you can leave your job at any moment's notice and you can also be terminated at any moments notice. Hey, it's only fair.

THe days of folks working for 25 years at the same company are long over.

I'm a born and bred NYC'er that relocated to Charlotte, NC, 2 years ago and I firmly believe I made the right move. I hated the cold weather, the prop taxes, housing costs, insurance costs, everything costs, commuting, etc. Charlotte is way saner--and there's a heap of NY'ers here. Feels just like home.

We did look at Florida, but decided against it: Schools were terrible, weather way too hot/muggy, hurricanes, no real business other than tourism, housing costs too high, etc.

We miss our families, of course (well, some of 'em. LOL!), but we deeply researched the whole eastern seaboard from Virginia down to FL. Charlotte made sense for us, because it seems very familiar--looks a lot like Jersey and areas in NY. Great shopping, awesome weather, lots of industry, decent schools, nice people, good food, etc.

I caution everyone to heavily research and visit the areas they are considering moving to. Take many, many trips there. The hardest thing you're gonna find is that you will have to leave your family. If you can get past that (or convince 'em to move), you'll be fine.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:22 PM

954 posts, read 4,377,746 times
I left Michigan and went to College in Nashville. Then because of work, I ended up in NC for 12 years. Sad it took me so long to make the move out.
Been in NYC for 7 years now. Glad I made the decision and took the risk.

Old 10-23-2006, 07:00 PM

Smile No way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplacetocallhome View Post

The market is changing, prices are going to drop, so I'm waiting and keeping my eyes open for a good deal so i can come back. By the way suffolk county prices are droping I've seen houses for $280-$350 and low taxes.
$280-$350 in Suffolk County? Get out of here! OH well, still can't afford it. The property taxes would still kill me. LOL

Old 10-24-2006, 06:58 AM

40 posts, read 199,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
$280-$350 in Suffolk County? Get out of here! OH well, still can't afford it. The property taxes would still kill me. LOL
It all depends i've seen homes with taxes starting at $1,800 not bad for NY and go all way to 10,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York