Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 07:36 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,315,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
New York losing billions in personal income as residents move south, west - Tax Watch

Old 02-24-2014, 07:40 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times
Yes, there are a lot of people retiring to Arizona and Florida, the two biggest receivers of New York residents.

Snowbird ring a bell?

Old 02-24-2014, 07:51 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
/\

Couldn't be those younger than retirement age are moving for jobs???

Old 02-24-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
/\

Couldn't be those younger than retirement age are moving for jobs???
I'm sure that is part of it, but roughly 2 million New York migrants went to Arizona and Florida, which was most of the migrations from 2000-2008. I'm pretty sure they weren't moving to either for job opportunities, as both have significantly lower GDP per capita and household income than New york.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
I'm sure that is part of it, but roughly 2 million New York migrants went to Arizona and Florida, which was most of the migrations from 2000-2008. I'm pretty sure they weren't moving to either for job opportunities, as both have significantly lower GDP per capita and household income than New york.
Given that Generation E (the E is for Entitled) is graduating nowadays, they don't necessarily value the best job. I know of a few people who if they move, it would be to Arizona and/or Florida and they are 30+ years away from retirement. You can sometimes find pockets of outstanding job markets in many places. Out of 30-35 coworkers at my job, only 2 of them are not from a state north of North Carolina.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Given that Generation E (the E is for Entitled) is graduating nowadays, they don't necessarily value the best job. I know of a few people who if they move, it would be to Arizona and/or Florida and they are 30+ years away from retirement. You can sometimes find pockets of outstanding job markets in many places. Out of 30-35 coworkers at my job, only 2 of them are not from a state north of North Carolina.
No offense but this is an incredible offensive and ignorant post. I am a Northern millenial. What exactly are you trying to say???!?!

Old 02-24-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
No offense but this is an incredible offensive and ignorant post. I am a Northern millenial. What exactly are you trying to say???!?!
Not sure why you would even think that. Grads nowadays feel they are 'entitled' to a job and not 'entitled to EARN a job'. Wall Street doesn't owe you jack s**t. Now if you're an Xer or Yer (I graduated high school in 2000), I'm not talking to you. I'm talking to those recent graduates with a communications degree that blame other people for them not having a job.

These folks aren't necessarily after climbing the corporate ladder, but they are satisfied with organic-fruit marijuana-infused mediocrity. Nonetheless, they are most likely to "go where the wind takes them" or just take the risk and move, without career worries to bog them down.

That and many more people are just connected to the internet. They can see what else is out there. They can come to websites like this one and quell any worry about moving to an unknown place. Moving away from "home" is only going to get more prevalent. Jacking up taxes and enacting idiotic-irrational panic laws used to hit people like sand on stone; they would just take it because "what else is there?". Now with the internet, there's a whole world out there. People are connected and they can see the other side of things. Visibility is changing the game.

So to your question, why isn't anyone moving if they complain so much? Over-dependency on family, over-dependency on friends, perceived notion that a career can't continue elsewhere, fear of starting over, capital to make the transition, but most of all, they just probably don't know what else is out there.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:34 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Not sure why you would even think that. Grads nowadays feel they are 'entitled' to a job and not 'entitled to EARN a job'. Wall Street doesn't owe you jack s**t. Now if you're an Xer or Yer (I graduated high school in 2000), I'm not talking to you. I'm talking to those recent graduates with a communications degree that blame other people for them not having a job.

These folks aren't necessarily after climbing the corporate ladder, but they are satisfied with organic-fruit marijuana-infused mediocrity. Nonetheless, they are most likely to "go where the wind takes them" or just take the risk and move, without career worries to bog them down.

That and many more people are just connected to the internet. They can see what else is out there. They can come to websites like this one and quell any worry about moving to an unknown place. Moving away from "home" is only going to get more prevalent. Jacking up taxes and enacting idiotic-irrational panic laws used to hit people like sand on stone; they would just take it because "what else is there?". Now with the internet, there's a whole world out there. People are connected and they can see the other side of things. Visibility is changing the game.
What is entitled to a job? What is earning a job?

Are you just spewing hateful, vicious rhetoric?

You might have some empathy for ANYONE who has difficulty finding a job, degree or no degree. Should you ever have children, you have no idea how they will turn out or what difficulties they will face in life.

And why should people necessarily want to climb the corporate ladder? Some of the richest people we have in the US, like Zuckerberg and Gates, did not climb the corporate ladder. Either you start your own business that becomes successful or you get hired at a high level. Most bottom employees do not rise to the top. So why bother with a crappy job that you hate where you may not get promoted? We have people like you to do these jobs, and see what kind of happiness its brought YOU!

Old 02-25-2014, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
What is entitled to a job? What is earning a job?

Are you just spewing hateful, vicious rhetoric?

You might have some empathy for ANYONE who has difficulty finding a job, degree or no degree. Should you ever have children, you have no idea how they will turn out or what difficulties they will face in life.

And why should people necessarily want to climb the corporate ladder? Some of the richest people we have in the US, like Zuckerberg and Gates, did not climb the corporate ladder. Either you start your own business that becomes successful or you get hired at a high level. Most bottom employees do not rise to the top. So why bother with a crappy job that you hate where you may not get promoted? We have people like you to do these jobs, and see what kind of happiness its brought YOU!
Not hateful. People aren't ENTITLED to a job. But they are entitled to use the market to EARN a job. Work hard on your resume, interviewing skills, start somewhere a little lower than you might think, do the work. Stop pretending there is this secret society hiring privileged people only. Start to realize that getting rejected three times in a row might be cause for a concern with what YOU'RE doing. When the economy is bad, the job market is tough. Best of luck to everyone.

People don't HAVE to climb the ladder, but they do have to understand that doing your job 100% doesn't automatically get you a promotion. Also, I started lower on the totem poll. Within 5 years time, I was promoted. After another year, I was promoted again to Director of IT. All with two psychology degrees that are practically worthless. Then, a year and a half later, after 30 years in NY, I had enough of the state, its politics, idiotic panic laws, taxes, government, and weather. I split. And I used the internet to make it a cakewalk.

I feel for people who are in the unfortunate situation of not having a job. However, that depends on the reason. If for some reason, you chose to get a Sociology degree instead of something more marketable, you're going to have a tougher time. Hell, blame your parents for allowing you to choose such an unmarketable degree. But let's not blame a company for not handing out jobs to people with no foresight into choosing a marketable education. We all want to go to college and get a dream job in the same field but that's just not how life works all the time. I agree that the debt inherited doesn't necessarily agree with the outcome when it comes to the costs of education, but I don't like the current system of collegiate education. I think degrees should be market-based: meaning a sociology degree should be about $3000, while an MBA should be quite a bit more expensive.

Ironically, I'm doing exactly what I told people I wanted to and enjoying the weather. If I can do it, many more can; I'm not special.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:42 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Even though I have been in Louisiana since Katrina, I still love NY. I always did. The winter, the mountains, all of it.

I actually did not want to move. I just could not find work and my only friend to help was in Baton Rouge. I was forced out. I really never wanted to leave.

I think a lot of New Yorkers and upstaters just have to complain about things to cope. Get negative feelings off of their chest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York