Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 02:21 PM

7 posts, read 15,806 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I'm going to need a little help in my situation. I'm currently living in Rochester and is highly likely that I'll be obtaining a part time job by the BigFlats Consumer Square. I'm likely to be commuting (~110mi/ 2 hours) during the summer but once winter hits, I'm guessing it'll probably be dangerous.

1. Does someone have any comments on the drive/weather on the 1-86 and 390 during the winter? All I see when driving is icy roads sign

2.I'm really confused with how Elmira and other villages is separated. I read that Horsehead and Big Flats area is pretty good but the East and downtown Elmira is quite bad. West Elmira is ok. Something about Elmira heights... It would be great if someone could explain which areas are ok, and which areas to avoid.

3. Living situation. My current situation will most likely that I'll be there 2 days per week and perhaps long term in the summer but i don't know yet. I'm considering looking for an apartment but with my current situation it seems a waste of moeny since i'm there 2 days a week. But like #2, idk where to look, what area to look ect. There seems to be alot of ppl willing to rent for a day, or a week that's furnished. I don't know if those ads are safe. Is it common for professionals or students to rent a daily or weekly rooms that offers no lease?

I appreciate if anyone has any input. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 02:27 PM

93,189 posts, read 123,783,345 times
That is a lot of driving. I'd probably look into living closer at some point. Perhaps Corning would be a nice fit or some of the suburbs already mentioned.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That is a lot of driving. I'd probably look into living closer at some point. Perhaps Corning would be a nice fit or some of the suburbs already mentioned.
As for neighborhoods, Elmira's East Side gets the worst reputation, with perhaps some inner parts of the North and South sides. Besides that, I wouldn't say that any other parts of the area are bad. I'd look into Horseheads, West Elmira(cdp) or perhaps Big Flats itself in terms of suburbs. Elmira Heights should be fine as well. Corning like mentioned earlier could work and has some nightlife as well.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:28 PM

7 posts, read 15,806 times
Thank you for the reply. Whats cdp? It really is a long drive. I want to say that I can handle it during the not snow months but idk. I drove to elmira yesterday and it wasn't too bad. But thanks for your comments

Old 02-26-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icekitsune View Post
Thank you for the reply. Whats cdp? It really is a long drive. I want to say that I can handle it during the not snow months but idk. I drove to elmira yesterday and it wasn't too bad. But thanks for your comments
CDP stands for Census Designated Place. This is why I put that after West Elmira: West Elmira, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-27-2014, 03:45 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Another possibility might be a "summer sublet" in Ithaca. Students who live off campus are typically made to sign 12 month leases, but they go back to The City for the summer typically - summer rentals in Ithaca are much cheaper because there is less demand for housing there when the colleges aren't in session.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:09 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,314 times
By the way, not to steal this thread, but used to live in the Bath/Hammondsport Area. Are the Wings of Eagles and Soaring Musuem still at the Elmira Airport and Harris Hill? Have they closed or are they still open?

Old 02-28-2014, 03:56 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Like you I used to live in the Bath/Hammondsport area

The National Soaring Museum is open at Harris Hill .... I think they had it shut for some time in the past 2 years doing some renovations, but it's up and running now
The National Soaring Museum - Harris Hill, Elmira, NY

Wings of Eagles is still around as well
Wings of Eagles Discovery Center | Imagine the possibilities…

Throw in the Glenn Curtiss Museum and there is definitely some interesting aviation spots in the area

Back to the OP:

I have family that makes the commute between Bath/Hammondsport and Rochester on a daily basis - I did it for a summer ........ it's really boring, but the time moves fast .... once you learn the speed traps you can open it up over a lot of it .... still probably looking at a little under 2 hours on a good day though to stretch it all the way out to Big Flats

A lot of cost to gas and vehicle upkeep as you are putting on serious mileage

I agree that your sanity would be better closer to Big Flats - Corning is a good community and close - really anywhere in that area

If it remains just twice a week and you love where you're at ... maybe suck it up and commute

If it gets beyond that, it's a lot of your life in your car
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York