Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 8,251 times

Advertisements

Stay away from Oakfeild, New York. Miserable petty politics by a vindictive code enforcer and town board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 06:34 AM

44 posts, read 124,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
SmalltownUSA...Do you know the name of the inn/restaurant(large red older bldg) south of Auburn a few miles down along the west side of Owasco lake? I've been trying to recall it...my wife and I went up there for brunch numerous times in the 80's and early 90's. It was pretty good...at that time.
I believe that you are talking about the Springside Inn.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:22 AM

142 posts, read 811,251 times
I agree with tball. It must be the Springside Inn. Does this look familiar?
Springside Inn - Auburn, NY

Jo

Old 09-13-2007, 05:28 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,904,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plattsburgher View Post
Well..............

There is a Starbucks just freshly opened, a college here and you are EXTREMELY close (one hour???????) away from 9 million people in Montreal with the Gran Prix, International Fireworks, Blues Festivals, world cuisine, and arts, artists in Montreal. Burlington, Vermont is just across the lake with all the cool culture of collegiates that you can handle..........UVM and Middlebury College and little ole Plattsburgh has its own state college of around 5 thousand kids from Long Island mostly. Amtrak runs the most scenic route in US along Lake Champlain and Hudson River down into Penn Station so if you have the time and moolah, you can spend lots of time in the Big Apple without even driving there. Albany is almost 2 hours south with other events.......The big drawback is your chickens will have to wear boots for some of the year........Oh, and world famous Lake Placid has events all winter long on the ski jumps and luge runs, etc.........The area is growing with all kinds of folks who are buying lake front at outrageously cheap prices for second homes or retirement places........The community feel is great however, with no homeless and very little trash around. The police and security are great here........Plus you have Lake Champlain in the summer to boat around if you like.......Get a hot tub for you and the chickens and you are all set............Very welcoming place, especially if you want to do some volunteering in a community..........More housing for your money, then you have traveling/fun money left over for adventure!

Lake Champlain area- do folks live year round in Essex and Westport? Or are they deserted in the winter? They look nice- are the house prices high off the lake?

Old 09-17-2007, 02:29 PM

491 posts, read 1,433,848 times
Come to Chautauqua County. Tons of recreation, cheap land and housing, and plenty of it, less than an hour to Erie, PA and Buffalo, NY. Less than 3 hours from Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Niagara Falls, Rochester and Toronto!!!

Oh, and there is a Starbucks in Fredonia, near the college!

Old 10-30-2007, 02:13 PM

1 posts, read 8,046 times
Hi there. Check out Athens, NY. I moved there a few months ago, and the place keeps surprising me. It its your wish-list description and is VERY affordable. I also found work here: Howard Hall Farm
I don't know what your field is, but if it applies, send an email, maybe we know someone....good luck!

Old 10-30-2007, 05:15 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,629 times
Post Trying to catch up............................

Yes, people live in Essex, Willsboro, Westport and Pburgh throughout the winter, even lakeside. We've had many couples move up here to retire the last few years and they never go south in the winter. Most like the way nature changes along the lake or they take up xcountry skiing, hiking, snowshoeing, volunteering or head to the underground in Montreal, etc.................Lots of winter activities in both Montreal and Quebec City complete with their 400 year anniversary next year. It is going to be a spectacular series of festivals. Montreal is so interesting and accessible. Personally, I qualify since I make under 50,000 grand a year for tax relief..........it is called STAR. You can look up the program online. Seniors get even more tax breaks and also have their own pharmacy discount. My mom in the south pays way more for her lousy medical/health care and about the same in taxes or more because they tax everything! Even food. Our health care and doctors are wonderful and the quality of life here is so much better than where she is...........No crime, fresh air, fantastic schools, amazing welcoming people, and a real sense of community spirit and cohesiveness in the community that money cannot buy. Her bills in the summer heat for A/C were much worse than mine for heating in the winter...........I am on a budget plan for heating and pay 90 a month for the entire year and that is considered high since I am not in the city of Pburgh which has the lowest electric rates in the country. I would Google "Clinton County Real Estate" or "Essex County" if you are in the least bit curious about the towns of Essex and Westport........There are some gorgeous old historic homes on the lake that Vermonters are discovering and buying now since Vermont's real estate market is so inflated and affordable housing over there is an oxymoron. They are working on that problem, but in the meantime Vermonters are buying homes on this side of the lake and working in Vermont quite a bit.............This is an extremely interesting and satisfying way of life with many opportunities and much history...............People are starting to discover it and instead of just vacationing here, tend to move here.........Just thought it deserved a mention.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:06 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBG View Post
My husband and I are considering New York for a possible relocation. I would like some land (10-15 acres), a place to have a few chickens, a small town atmosphere, a place that's safe and the community is friendly. The Upstate NY home prices seem reasonable from what I'm seeing, but I don't want to be so far from some excitment (NY,NY/Boston) when we want it, or a Starbucks if possible Does any such town exist? Ithaca seems interesting, I would enjoy a college atmosphere, as long as there's no homeless lurking around, it's rampant here in California near the colleges. Am I asking for too much? We are in our late 40s and early 50s, no children, employment is not a concern, just wanting some peace and quiet and quality of life. Thanks!
starbucks?? are you kidding?

Old 11-06-2007, 05:20 PM

7 posts, read 44,076 times
I second (or third?) the votes for New Paltz specifically and Ulster County generally. Liza.Judy, you might want to look around here - there's a seriously booming art scene, very welcoming and friendly and weird (in the best possible way). Lots of writers, musicians, and visual artists.

Best,
zs.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:55 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeldaSayre View Post
I second (or third?) the votes for New Paltz specifically and Ulster County generally. Liza.Judy, you might want to look around here - there's a seriously booming art scene, very welcoming and friendly and weird (in the best possible way). Lots of writers, musicians, and visual artists.

Best,
zs.
New Paltz: very cool place indeed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York