U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 09:06 AM

730 posts, read 1,166,189 times

Advertisements

The one thing that will drive me off LI because of my limited fixed retirement income are the property taxes. Other than that, I love everything about the area including its access to great medical care and the fact that you don't need to live in an HOA in order to be in a safe, secure neighborhood. Right now I'm in a 1300sf ranch with taxes (before STAR) of $9400 and which go up on average between 5% and 6% per year. My dream would be to find a house anywhere between 1500 and 2000 sf (if a ranch; 2000-2300 sf if a colonial) with public water, in a community that is at least 50% residential and predominately caucasian, within emergency-driving distance of a GOOD hospital and within a half hours drive of all typical daily-life retail, and current property taxes of less than $5000.

School district is irrelevant, obviously.

Any town suggestions? Many thanks! I know I couldn't tolerate any of the southern-states summers (nor being in the Bible Belt either, LOL) and after this winter I'm not sure if I could survive a steady diet of the same in someplace more northern.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 10:53 AM

69,837 posts, read 96,633,764 times
What about PA?

Old 03-18-2014, 01:29 PM

I've investigated PA and found more negatives for me than positives; what I'd like to learn more about are the two lowest counties of "upstate" NY. If they're not workable for either taxes or house prices, then I'll need to gradually look at the slightly more northern counties. But I'd rather start with the counties closest to NYC/LI to begin with. :-)

Old 03-18-2014, 06:56 PM

13,302 posts, read 12,466,590 times
I don't think you will find any cost saving with either county their COL is on par if not higher than LI. Rockland in my opinion does not have a decent hospital and there is still a mentality that if you need medical care you go to the city. Have you considered Bergen County NJ? Perhaps Ocean County NJ which has extensive retirement communities.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:00 PM

1,843 posts, read 1,585,412 times
I don't think Westchester or Rockland are going to work

You may have better luck in hopping the state line and looking in northern Fairfield County or southern Litchfield County in CT. The Danbury area has everything you are looking for and the property taxes are half of what they are in NY.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:36 PM

4,762 posts, read 676,199 times
To find a one-family house in Westchester with property taxes of $5,000 per year or less is virtually impossible. The $9,400 you are paying on Long Island is standard (perhaps even less than standard) here.

If moving out of New York state isn't an option, I suggest you look further north, in Dutchess or Orange counties.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:40 AM

Thanks for the insights, I had a feeling that I might have to look into some of the more northern counties but thought it was worth a question re: Westchester and Rockland first.

I have looked into Delaware but other than the lower taxes and housing prices (yes they are packed with retirement communities down there, LOL) the other negatives outweigh those two positives. Despite the retirement communnities there are only 3 ranked hospitals in the entire state and 2 of them are in northern DE which I wouldn't touch with a 100-mile pole, LOL.

I'm surprised to hear CT mentioned as having lower taxes because it is always listed as one of the most highly taxed and retirement-unfriendly states in the country. But I will definitely take a look at some of those "border towns" including Danbury. One thing I was told about CT was that if you're not on the immediate outskirts of a decent sized city it's hard to find houses that are on public water. Not sure if that is also true about NY outside of the 'bedroom communities' as well.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:56 AM

1,843 posts, read 1,585,412 times
The income tax burden in CT relative to NY is a push for regular earned income or withdrawals from a retirement plan. If you happen to have a pension that is exempt from NYS taxes it is a different story.

The property taxes are much lower. There is a property tax on cars, but it varies by town and is partially to completely offset by lower car insurance rates. Pick up my 4 br house in the Danbury area, drop it in a community on the other side of the border like Carmel, and boom, the property tax bill just doubled.

It is true that much of CT is well and septic territory, and yes, the same is true in big chunks of the northern counties - parts of some smaller towns on the NY side may have public water but not sewer. You'd find municipal water in Danbury itself as well as in parts of New Fairfield and Bethel.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
The income tax burden in CT relative to NY is a push for regular earned income or withdrawals from a retirement plan. If you happen to have a pension that is exempt from NYS taxes it is a different story.

The property taxes are much lower. There is a property tax on cars, but it varies by town and is partially to completely offset by lower car insurance rates. Pick up my 4 br house in the Danbury area, drop it in a community on the other side of the border like Carmel, and boom, the property tax bill just doubled.

It is true that much of CT is well and septic territory, and yes, the same is true in big chunks of the northern counties - parts of some smaller towns on the NY side may have public water but not sewer. You'd find municipal water in Danbury itself as well as in parts of New Fairfield and Bethel.
Wow, all that is VERY interesting... I've just added Danbury and the other areas to my "radar", lol

My income is at least 90% Social Security and the other 10% will be the mandatory minimum withdrawals from a traditional IRA when I reach that age 70 1/2 mark in a few years; maybe a drop in the bucket from interest on savings if the rates climb out of the current black hole in my lifetime, LOL. But even so, we're still talking about probably no more than $5K/yr from non-SS income unless rates somehow skyrocket. ;-)

As I'm doing research on the northern counties I'm discovering the no-municipal-water problem in a lot of house listings I've viewed. I can live with a cesspool/septic system but the public water is a must.

Thanks again; you may see me soon asking questions on the CT forum!

Old 03-20-2014, 01:45 PM

69,837 posts, read 96,633,764 times
Just a question, but what factors kept you from looking a little bit further north?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York