Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Grade Governor Cuomo's Overall Performance
A - Excellent in all areas. 6 10.71%
"B" - Good. Completed work as assigned but could do better. 8 14.29%
"C" - Satisfactory. Met the standard level of competence. 12 21.43%
"F" - Unsatisfactoy. No progress and failed to meet overall established goals. 30 53.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 11:43 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately New York's answer to all of it's problems is MORE MONEY. In spite of all the money they rake in, all of it's government entities are constantly in crisis mode. It used to be known as the "Empire State" now it's the "Vampire State". I just can't believe having lived in both New York and Arizona that in Arizona we have all the same public services as New York yet the cost of living is about one tenth of what it was there. Our property taxes haven't gone up in the four years that I've lived here. Where the hell does all that money go, and why is no one held accountable for it? As far as I'm concerned there is absolutely no reason for it to cost so much to live in such a God awful state. Part of the reason I think, is the public employees unions that have had a strangle hold on the New York State legislature for as long as I remember. Pataki was a sell out, and I'm ashamed to say that I voted for him. Having lived in Peekskill I've met him quite a few times while he was mayor and truly believed he would change the direction of New York. I supported him as an assemblyman and senator, but when he became governor he proved he was nothing more than a sleazy politician who really didn't stand for anything but himself. He did however have an outstanding Lieutenant Governor in Betsy McCaughey Ross. Too bad she wasn't the governor. Anyhow I hope the people will support Rob Astorino for governor, to my surprise he beat King Andy "Swino" Spano for Westchester County Executive before I left for Arizona. One of the first things he did was eliminate the $400,000 security detail that Spano had to chauffeur him around the county telling people how great it was to live in Westchester County. Great for the "King" but not so for his subjects.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 04-07-2014 at 12:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 12:14 PM

4,762 posts, read 793,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB1220 View Post
Last summer, speeding ticket. Municipal charge $90 + NYS Surcharge $85 = $175 ticket. This is a clear revenue builder. Most recent ticket? Stopped in December for "Failure to Dim Headlights" anxious to see the surcharge on that one in addition to the points. I JUST sat for my 6hr DD course....
I stopped voting after I got my last summons, which set me back a total of $375.00. I had simply had enough. As I said in my earlier post, we the people of New York don't have a say (unless we vote with our feet and move out, as Ex New Yorker pointed out) in the policies that are raking in millions to line Cuomo's pockets (and those of the welfare recipients who haven't learned about condom use yet), while a working man with a yearly income of $70,000 can scarcely own his own home and support a wife and kids. Something is wrong with that picture. Ask Andrew Cuomo (and 9 out of 10 Democrats), and he'll tell you that an income of $70,000 a year is "rich". Ask anyone born and raised in Westchester, and they'll tell you that a salary three times that amount is still "middle class."

Now before anyone reacts to this post and says I'm being "unpatriotic" by not voting, let me stop you. I see nothing unpatriotic in abstaining from an election. I believe my civic duty, as a citizen of the United States, ends with my obligation to REGISTER to vote, and I am registered. Whether I choose to exercise my right or not, that's one of the freedoms (and one of the few freedoms we still have) that make America the country that it is. Yes, I do vote at the local level, such as for the school budget in Somers (as it does directly affect my property taxes), and for other offices in my town....but I'm not going to participate in an election where my vote can be trumped by that of someone who has such an unjust interest in the outcome of a particular winner. Could you really blame a Section 8 or food stamp recipient for voting for Andrew Cuomo? I surely couldn't. What we need is a few brave Republicans out there who will stand up against all this nonsense and finally strip all welfare beneficiaries of their "right" to create a voting bloc that perpetuates this inequitable cycle of income redistribution.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:58 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times
SteveC1024:
I have voted in every election since I was 18, and I can't blame you for not voting that's up to you. I felt that way many times while living in New York because there's not much difference in that state between both parties. About the only "brave" Republican there is Greg Ball and possibly Astorino the rest at least while I was living there were sellouts. For some stupid reason the Republican Party of New York thinks that the only way to win elections was to become more like the enemy. Your best bet maybe, is to contact the Republican Party both on the state and national level and express your feelings as to which direction that the Republican Party is heading. The Republican Party while not perfect is our best chance to save this country from tyranny. Our income never went above $70,000 and life was indeed a constant struggle especially when you pay over $10,000 a year in property taxes and being self employed another $12,000 for health insurance. The worst part about property taxes is that it's not based on your income, and the cost of supporting government falls disproportionately on those who own their own homes. People take about 30 years to pay off their homes only to retire, have their incomes cut drastically and now they can't afford to stay in the home they worked so hard to pay for. It's just not right. With the exception of those on public assistance, people who own their homes do not use any more public services than those who don't own their home, nor do wealthy people just because they have a more expensive home. For the record I haven't given up on voting and will continue to do so. Whether you do or not that is yours and only your decision to make.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:45 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Been out of that miserable state now for four years. I guess nothing has changed. Life is so much better out here in Arizona. I can keep my guns, keep my house, keep most of my income and most of all keep my sanity. Folks, living there is just not worth it. "Ill Duce" doesn't want you there anyway, he made that quite clear when he stated that those who do not think like him are not welcome in New York State. Now he's using the full force of government to oppress you, not that it wasn't oppressive before, but he's turned otherwise law abiding citizens into felons with the passage of the "Safe Act" with just a stroke of his pen. God only knows what's next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Ex NY'er is spot on. I'm in West Virginia right now. The feeling of oppression just melts away the further you get from that hell hole. I can't wait to leave for good.
I've lived here all my life and travel for work every week outside of New York State. I don't feel oppressed at all in New York. One thing that is oppressive is Arizona summers though

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC1024 View Post
He's so brainwashed by the Democratic ideology that he can't see the forest through the trees. Running commercials doesn't lure out-of-state people to move their businesses to New York, but cutting taxes (and fines and fees and surcharges) certainly does.
Cutting taxes requires shedding of public services. Shedding public services will reduce the state economy. I shouldn't have to explain why that is a bad thing.

Governor Cuomo I think has done a pretty good job. He gets a B+ from me. I like the New Democrat style of governing personally, as I find myself center-left on most issues (far left on social issues, central on fiscal issues). I'm not a gun owner and don't feel the need to own one, so I cannot relate to the outrage regarding the SAFE Act.

I feel more comfortable with Cuomo at the helm vs. another GOP goon that will just cut taxes on the rich.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
SteveC1024:
I have voted in every election since I was 18, and I can't blame you for not voting that's up to you. I felt that way many times while living in New York because there's not much difference in that state between both parties. About the only "brave" Republican there is Greg Ball and possibly Astorino the rest at least while I was living there were sellouts. For some stupid reason the Republican Party of New York thinks that the only way to win elections was to become more like the enemy. Your best bet maybe, is to contact the Republican Party both on the state and national level and express your feelings as to which direction that the Republican Party is heading. The Republican Party while not perfect is our best chance to save this country from tyranny. Our income never went above $70,000 and life was indeed a constant struggle especially when you pay over $10,000 a year in property taxes and being self employed another $12,000 for health insurance. The worst part about property taxes is that it's not based on your income, and the cost of supporting government falls disproportionately on those who own their own homes. People take about 30 years to pay off their homes only to retire, have their incomes cut drastically and now they can't afford to stay in the home they worked so hard to pay for. It's just not right. With the exception of those on public assistance, people who own their homes do not use any more public services than those who don't own their home, nor do wealthy people just because they have a more expensive home. For the record I haven't given up on voting and will continue to do so. Whether you do or not that is yours and only your decision to make.
The reality that you don't want to hear is that the country does not coincide with the current GOP platform. People are more concerned with the health of the economy, the environment, and libertarian social views, than their "freedom from tyranny." The GOP is flat out irresponsible in issues that matter. The national vibe of the country is actually very similar to a Cuomo or Christie.. someone central that can flirt the line between center left and center right. Hence, why the "extreme conservatives" comment actually wasn't farfetched.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:52 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Airborneguy:

You will not regret it! There's nothing like the taste of freedom. You don't realize how valuable it is once you experience it.
Unfortunately, I'm in the crappy position of knowing exactly how it feels to live free even while currently stuck in NYC. I was in Colorado for 4 years before returning here. I've wanted to leave since after my first two years back.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Unfortunately, I'm in the crappy position of knowing exactly how it feels to live free even while currently stuck in NYC. I was in Colorado for 4 years before returning here. I've wanted to leave since after my first two years back.
Leave. We don't need naysayers here.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
I don't feel oppressed at all in New York.

I'm not a gun owner and don't feel the need to own one, so I cannot relate to the outrage regarding the SAFE Act.
Hence why you don't feel oppressed and why I just checked in to a hotel in Tennessee, the state I plan to call home in 8 years.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Leave. We don't need naysayers here.
Yes Commisar Cuomo, I will as soon as I'm ready. But as a fellow life-long NY'er (minus my time serving the country), I'll complain all I want until that time comes.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:11 PM

4,762 posts, read 793,250 times
Quote:
Cutting taxes requires shedding of public services. Shedding public services will reduce the state economy. I shouldn't have to explain why that is a bad thing.
I can't think of any better way to balance the budget than by shedding public services. Recipients of public services don't create jobs and reduce unemployment, privately owned corporations do. What Cuomo (and most Democrats) fail to understand is that despite all their advertising to lure these privately owned corporations to NY, they're only pushing them further and further away with their regulations and taxes.

Quote:
I feel more comfortable with Cuomo at the helm vs. another GOP goon that will just cut taxes on the rich.
The other problem I have with the Democratic party is precisely that: their definition of the phrase "the rich" hasn't changed since 1950. A family of four with an income of $80,000 per year in 1950 was rich. Today it isn't. They also fail to take into account the cost of living. A family of four with a yearly income of $150,000 living in Texas would be rich, but in suburban New York, it's far from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York