Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2014, 08:51 PM

94 posts, read 214,776 times

Advertisements

Can anyone here tell me what commutes are like from different points in Rockland to NYC? I'm looking in Valley Cottage, Nanuet, New City and Stony Point. I know with the new bridge going up, commutes across the TAP are going to be a nightmare. I'm willing to take the plunge to move up there though since its really for the schools, quality of life and being closer to family.

My schedule is 8 to 4, M-F and on occasions I can telecommute (thank God for VPN!). Here is what my commute looks like now from the Bronx: 6 Express from Pelham Bay to 59th switch to N/R get off 57th and 7th), including the walk time from home to the El and subway to office, that takes me all of 55 minutes door to door on a good day. If I catch the 6:45am out of PB, I can make it to the office within 40-45 min.

I know that is all going to change once I move up there. I have VC higher on my list however since I would prefer to do the park-n-ride at Palisades Mall, bus in to Tarrytown, Metro north to GC. The walk from GC to my office, figure 12 - 14 blocks (work on 55th and 6th). I'm guessing that would put me at about 1 hr 30 min?

Stony point however, I hear has a ferry to Tarrytown? Anyone here take that? Any pros/cons vs taking bus across the Tap? I would hate to have to do the 20 minute drive down the PIP and 287 just to get to the mall park n ride.

I think the only thing that helps lessen the blow of a full blown 2 hour commute is that I am 4pm-er so my commutes back to Rockland would be slightly before the evening rush. Anyone else here doing the 4:20 or 4:30 out of GC to Tarrytown? I'm curious what your cummute times are like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 06:00 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
If your office is located at 55th/6th why not take the Bus Rockland Coaches | NEW!! Route 49J Midtown Express, they have a mid town express that does "Drop-offs from 40th and 6th up to 57th and 5th down to 42nd Streets with stops along 5th Ave right to your OFFICE!"

Let them drive, anything that includes the TZ is going to be hell; yes it has been hell for the last 20 years but know it's really bad!

You can also take the bus out of Stop & Shops parking lot in New City.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:59 AM

Thanks VA! Looks like the 6:51 bus will get me to 57th and 5th @ 7:51am. I didn't think it could make it in an hour. Not bad. Although I wonder how close those posted times actually are. I would still need to worry about getting back to the PA bus terminal going home. Not too bad a deal considering the walk from my office to PA would only be once a day vs. having to walk to/from GC everyday. Thanks for the info.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:00 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Not a problem, check the subway locations there may be a line nearby that can take you to 42nd where PA is located.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:13 PM

Yes there are a few, but I would probably opt to walk it. Save a few bucks.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:55 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,950,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bx1968 View Post
Thanks VA! Looks like the 6:51 bus will get me to 57th and 5th @ 7:51am. I didn't think it could make it in an hour. Not bad. Although I wonder how close those posted times actually are. I would still need to worry about getting back to the PA bus terminal going home. Not too bad a deal considering the walk from my office to PA would only be once a day vs. having to walk to/from GC everyday. Thanks for the info.
For actual travel times subtract 15 minutes yes it's that fast. Plus you can use several buses for travel within Rockland on weekends or to NJ (Northern Bergen county) or directly to Brooklyn express buses. Want to visit jersey several buses get you to the train that gets you there. But for your commute enjoy 49J.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
For actual travel times subtract 15 minutes yes it's that fast.
Which way is this bus going into the city? Over the TAP or the PIP to GW?

Old 05-16-2016, 07:45 PM

2 posts, read 5,305 times
Hi everyone, has anyone taken the 49J bus? It says it takes less than 1hr to Manhattan but with traffic not sure how's that even possible. Can anyone confirm? I would love to hear from anyone. Thank you!!!

Old 05-17-2016, 09:29 AM

62 posts, read 213,700 times
I haven't taken the 49J, but I have used the Shortline from the Exit 14 Park and Ride in Nanuet and the schedule seemed pretty accurate. There's a dedicated bus lane through the Lincoln Tunnel so traffic isn't as bad as it would be in a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York