U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: priced out? what did you do?
did you move out of state? 3 25.00%
did you move out of county? 3 25.00%
waiting to see what will happen to the market before you make your move? 1 8.33%
waiting for prices to drop? 4 33.33%
settled for a condo/coop? 0 0%
settled for a cheap/crappy home? 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 07:43 AM

83 posts, read 326,033 times

Advertisements

did you move out of the area? out of state? another county?

have you decided to wait and see what the market will do? waiting for decrease in home prices?

settle for a condo/coop instead?

settle for a cheaper home?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 12:09 AM

4,135 posts, read 9,795,639 times
If you are priced out of Western NY, you are in sorry shape. The cost of living here is very low, even in the suburbs

Old 12-11-2007, 06:15 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,570,245 times
I have to agree on this one with Buffalo Transplant - the average is home is a little over 121k and 65% of the population is able to afford and be qualified for this purchase. I believe the national average is about 100k above this figure.

The only reason you would be priced out of a home is if you want what you cant have,,,and dont we all? Why are we seeing foreclosures across the country? ARMS are one reason and the American dream that has turned into owning, not only a huge home, but two expensive cars and going on two expensive vacations a year....why oh why do americans think they can have it all? People living on a salary of 120k (which isnt bad) buying homes over 200K?? what the heck is wrong with a home for 125k. anyway - good luck to all
colleen

Old 12-11-2007, 04:33 PM

80 posts, read 334,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
I have to agree on this one with Buffalo Transplant - the average is home is a little over 121k and 65% of the population is able to afford and be qualified for this purchase. I believe the national average is about 100k above this figure.

The only reason you would be priced out of a home is if you want what you cant have,,,and dont we all? Why are we seeing foreclosures across the country? ARMS are one reason and the American dream that has turned into owning, not only a huge home, but two expensive cars and going on two expensive vacations a year....why oh why do americans think they can have it all? People living on a salary of 120k (which isnt bad) buying homes over 200K?? what the heck is wrong with a home for 125k. anyway - good luck to all
colleen
I'm pretty sure the original post is not from someone in western NY. It's very interesting to me the mindset of people from differant areas of the same state. You seem to indicate that households making 120k per year should not be buying 200k houses. I live in the Albany area which does not have an outrageously inflated housing market but people of that income level would be looking at 300k plus houses here. Closer to NYC they are probably considering 500K+ houses.

This post is not meant to be critical of your post...you are probably the voice of reason on this matter. I just find it all very interesting.

Old 12-15-2007, 03:33 PM

10 posts, read 63,167 times
Ha--if there was such a thing as a house under $200K in the area (Rockland and Orange County), I would snatch it up!

Old 12-17-2007, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker View Post
I'm pretty sure the original post is not from someone in western NY. It's very interesting to me the mindset of people from differant areas of the same state. You seem to indicate that households making 120k per year should not be buying 200k houses. I live in the Albany area which does not have an outrageously inflated housing market but people of that income level would be looking at 300k plus houses here. Closer to NYC they are probably considering 500K+ houses.

This post is not meant to be critical of your post...you are probably the voice of reason on this matter. I just find it all very interesting.

You are right, when I post, I tend to think of WNY and the Buffalo area. I did not take your response critically at all. I understand that many people in different areas will purchase a home way in excess of 300k on a salary of 120k, it just blows my mind though. Lets say you are financing a home at 6.5% interest over 30 years and the amount you are financing is 250k, you pay 50k cash for a deposit and cover your closing costs with cash - your monthly principal and interset would be about $`1,581 then you need to add in taxes, here the taxes in my community on a 300k home would be about $12,000, so that raises your monthly payment to $2,581, I still have not included pmi or insurance. If you take out taxees on your income of 120k a year, you approximatley have left $8,400 a month, then you take out $2,600 for your home and that leaves you $5,800 a month - sounds great, but add in two cars, food, utilities, the much needed cell phone as well as schooling for children ect ect and savings (gasp) I just think that is stretching it a bit is all.
Colleen

Old 12-17-2007, 08:25 AM

5,801 posts, read 9,523,721 times
I'm definitely priced out of virtually every home market in my home state of Connecticut. Thankfully, I can afford to buy into many areas of NY and PA or OH. My next home purchase will be a cash purchase. No mortgage. Can't lose a home to foreclosure then unless you don't pay your property tax bill.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:36 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,448,834 times
I am priced out of Beverly Hills and Greenwhich and I live just fine. If you find yourself supposedly priced out of an area, you have a few simple choices:

1-Continue to rent until you can save enough to buy what you want
2-Buy something smaller than you want, or in an area that is less desireable..it is a start and not a lifetime committment. Compromise is key!
3-Move somewhere with a lower cost of living, so that you can afford to buy whatever it is that you cannot in your present location.

I find most people are NOT priced out of anything...they just want their cake and eat it too. You may be priced out of 4 bed room, 2 bath 3,000sf home in Mamaroneck...but who the heck isn't? You may also be priced out of a 2 bed/2 bath condo is Newburgh...

What does this mean? It means you need to scale down and think modestly....so instead of all the kids having their own bedrooms....they may have to share! Horrid huh? Instead of a guest room, you may have to have a sofa bed! Gasp! Instead of 2,000sf, you may only be able to afford 1,400! Goodness Gracious! Instead of a large yard, you may only get a small patio, or balcony! Oh no!

Adjust your expectations, you are not priced out of anything.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:05 PM

you stole my gasp = lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York