Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 08:17 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,772,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
I went to a TGI-Friday's in Philadephia and ordered their "Buffalo wings" which turns out wasn't authentic at all to what's made here in Buffalo.
Do you like LaNova's or the Anchor Bar's? I don't know why they are so well rated, only I think Duff's are not anything special.... I will take LaNova's anyday!!

Old 12-26-2007, 08:53 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,191,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Do you like LaNova's or the Anchor Bar's? I don't know why they are so well rated, only I think Duff's are not anything special.... I will take LaNova's anyday!!
I had LaNova's once. It's not in my area, Anchor Bar isn't either. The furthest from Buffalo that I've had good wings was the place in Spencerport with the golf dome. (The name slips my mind right now)

Duffy's actually has two locations. The original Duff's is on Naigara Falls at Millersport (pictured below), the other is on Southwestern Blvd. with the "sports" theme.

(note to moderators: it was said I can use pictures from my blog as long as I say they are from my blog it's hard talking about food without "advertizing")

Old 12-26-2007, 10:52 PM

148 posts, read 646,442 times
Great Pizza and Wings, first rate cardiac care and cancer centers ( for all the Pizza and Wing eaters) and almost zero traffic congestion due to negative population growth. If you work for the government; state, county, city, town, federal, then WNY is a great place to be. After all, government is the largest employer and the reason taxes are so high. Private sector employment is declining while government expands despite negative population growth. Insane!

It's also the reason why all the young people attending SUNY and other colleges are leaving. They CAN'T GET A JOB. Other than that, not much to be positive about.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:55 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,539,770 times
Well there is one more thing we can be positive about....you're leaving!

Old 12-26-2007, 11:31 PM

75 posts, read 339,938 times
itSmellsBAD--did you notice the title of this thread? I don't think it said "the positive in WNY...in the most negative tone I can muster." Thanks for your typical snide input.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:54 PM

6 posts, read 12,942 times
Ho boy. Born and raised in Buffalo, and used to feel a strong affinity to the place. But I left in 1999 for the Pacific Northwest, and I have zero regrets. Why did I leave?

Reason number one was this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by itSmellsBAD View Post
It's also the reason why all the young people attending SUNY and other colleges are leaving. They CAN'T GET A JOB. Other than that, not much to be positive about.
Yes indeed - it's jobs. JOBS JOBS JOBS. Really, I don't care about the snow. I don't care that the Bills are cursed. It's about the lack of JOBS for people like me, and anyone else with a desire to be a part of the 21st century economy. I'm not just talking about jobs at Wegmans here. What do you do with, say, a degree in computer science in Buffalo? Or bioinformatics? Nothing wrong with manufacturing (what's left of it here) or service jobs, but it's not the sort of thing that will drive an economy today. Besides, if you bring the highly skilled labor here, those other kinds of jobs will come as well.

I do care about the lack of nightlife and the general decline of culture in Buffalo, but all of these things would see improvement if there were ... JOBS. Don't tell me again about the beautiful old houses. Yes, you have great old architecture and great history. What of it? A lot of us out here want to be where history is being made today, not just bathing in yesterday.

And reason number two was this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Well there is one more thing we can be positive about....you're leaving!
WNYers like this annoyed me to no end. I got sick of the unending blind loyalty to Buffalo, and the subsequent trashing of all sensible criticism. This is a small-town attitude. And, sadly, that is what Buffalo is headed for: small-townhood. It will be a town of 50,000 or so people with a few bars where old guys sit around at the bar and yap away about the old days, and the streets are silent come sundown, and the majority of kids who graduate leave. The fiercely loyal Buffalonians are angry that everyone else doesn't see the city the way they do, but honestly don't care to understand why. I was one of you once too, folks. Then I moved out and gained some perspective.

Sorry, but I finally found a venue to get all that off my chest. It's been frustrating me for a while, actually.

Edit: I see I said I had "zero regrets". This is not true at all, actually. I regret that WNY never climbed itself out of the hole it was in, and only dug deeper. I wanted to stay. Honest.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:39 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,539,770 times
First of all...I'm from Rochester and never even lived in Buffalo. I did however leave the Upstate NY region for "Geener pastures" in North Carolina for 12 years before returning home to my roots this past August. Forgive me for making a comment in jest about a person who has done NOTHING but give harsh blatent negative and pessimistic remarks on EVERYTHING related to Upstate and Western NY on this forum.

People who make judgements on one comment and make a blanket statement like that above annoy ME to no end.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:47 AM

6 posts, read 12,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
First of all...I'm from Rochester and never even lived in Buffalo. Forgive me for making a comment in jest about a person who has done NOTHING but give harsh blatent negative and pessimistic remarks on EVERYTHING related to Upstate and Western NY on this forum.
I didn't mean to single you out. It's just that that line was all too reflective of the attitude I came to associate with Buffalo backers, who seemed to take every criticism of Buffalo as a personal attack to be responded to with "Well, we don't want you anyway!", rather than an honest assessment of the deep dysfunction there.

And yes, I was speaking of Buffalo and not Rochester, but Rochester really seems to have pretty similar issues in my experience, the remnants of Kodak and Xerox aside.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:23 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,191,724 times
Quote:
Great Pizza and Wings, first rate cardiac care and cancer centers ( for all the Pizza and Wing eaters) and almost zero traffic congestion due to negative population growth. If you work for the government; state, county, city, town, federal, then WNY is a great place to be. After all, government is the largest employer and the reason taxes are so high. Private sector employment is declining while government expands despite negative population growth. Insane!

As I have so clearly stated in the last post of this thread to prove you wrong, my words were...

Quote:
If you're trying to discourage people from coming to and/or staying in Buffalo, you're doing a lousy job by stating one thing and then stating a second reason whenever someone proves you wrong.
You're right about government being the largest employer (in Erie County)

Yet, we're lower in expenditures per capita:

Click here to see the charts and graphs of what & why taxes are higher here (in Erie County), it's because of state mandates like medicaid.

I agree with what I'minformed2 wrote about the blanket comments to discourage people from moving to or staying in this area of which is not all that bad. There is a world of wonder here in WNY, more positive than what the nay-sayers are negatively commenting about.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:31 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,071,103 times
Quote:

yadayadayadayadayadayada...your posts are like "Groundhog Day"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York