Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 10:47 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,982,719 times

Advertisements

This is kind of a general feel of things map, it's published by Untied Van Lines and is current as of 2013...

I'd love to drill down the numbers even further, but unfortunately census data is 3 years old now.

http://www.unitedvanlines.com/united...n_map_2013.jpg

Do you know of a good current source, that's up to date for 2013/14 numbers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 11:48 AM

93,289 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
This is kind of a general feel of things map, it's published by Untied Van Lines and is current as of 2013...

I'd love to drill down the numbers even further, but unfortunately census data is 3 years old now.

Keep in mind that people move in various ways and I'd say to look at the census website, which gives estimates(which have been shaky in the recent past) of states, counties and cities/town(at least 5000 or more, I believe). For instance, the county I live in has actually shown a slight gain in population.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:28 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post

This map has been popping up all over the place lately!

The best migration map that I've seen is this one, because it goes by county level:

American Migration [Interactive Map] - Forbes

Click on any county, blue lines mean that more moved in than moved out, and red means that more moved out than moved in.

Interestingly, more people from Charleston County moved to Monroe County, NY (Rochester) than vice versa. Onondaga lost population to Charleston County, and Saratoga gained population from Charleston County. So, you never really know.

NYC metro is 100% blue moving to Charleston than vice versa, so what you are seeing there is not uncommon.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post

The best migration map that I've seen is this one, because it goes by county level:

Click on any county, blue lines mean that more moved in than moved out, and red means that more moved out than moved in.

Interestingly, more people from Charleston County moved to Monroe County, NY (Rochester) than vice versa. Onondaga lost population to Charleston County, and Saratoga gained population from Charleston County. So, you never really know.

NYC metro is 100% blue moving to Charleston than vice versa, so what you are seeing there is not uncommon.
Thanks for this map, as I believe it is more indictive of what is really going on. Here is an article about this in regard to Onondaga County: Where are Central New Yorkers moving to, from? New census data sheds some light | syracuse.com

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-25-2014 at 05:20 PM..

Old 04-25-2014, 06:52 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Thanks for this map, as I believe it is more indictive of what is really going on. Here is an article about this in regard to Onondaga County: Where are Central New Yorkers moving to, from? New census data sheds some light | syracuse.com
Its interesting because its not as cut and dry as I thought. I never knew so many people moved to Rochester from Syracuse, for example. Also, more people moved to Syracuse from Charlotte than vice versa, if I read that right. Just not what most people expect.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Its interesting because its not as cut and dry as I thought. I never knew so many people moved to Rochester from Syracuse, for example. Also, more people moved to Syracuse from Charlotte than vice versa, if I read that right. Just not what most people expect.
Exactly........A lot of times, people are just moving within the same state or move to an adjacent state. Some people move and come back or stay. So, you never know.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:

Yeah I've seen the Forbes map, it's 2010 data though. Based off of census I'm assuming.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:10 AM

I thought that this was an interesting example of you never know where people are going to move to and/or from: WPDE’s Chrampanis leaving to pursue personal venture | Grand Strand Sports Report

I only found out about this due to watching his sportscasts on YouTube for the ABC affiliate in the Pee Dee/Grand Strand area of SC. Farewell Rich Chrampanis - YouTube

Old 04-26-2014, 12:17 PM

368 posts, read 831,042 times
OP I forgot to ask. Are you a native of South Carolina? If not, what brought you there???

Old 04-26-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TughillTina View Post
OP I forgot to ask. Are you a native of South Carolina? If not, what brought you there???
No I'm a native. I was born in Arden, NC but moved to SC when I was 2. So I guess that's being a native since my first memories were from SC. I moved around a bit in my early 20's, I've lived in GA, FL, NO, TX, and AL, but I couldn't stay gone for long and I moved back here about 11 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York