Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2014, 10:15 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
No one said every place is great and every place is different. I've repeatedly said that I can only speak for regions that I'm familiar with. My target audience is people like I was like 3-4 years ago. I didn't like the area, but I was scared to move, scared of the risk, not motivated enough. I wish someone slapped me around back then. But what can you do? Meh.

I'm not a real estate agent, nor have interest in such things. I just want to motivate people to get the heck out. Hell, move to Oregon, I don't care. If you're happy, fine. I'm not talking to you. I'm talking to people on the fence; the lurkers; the ones looking for change of scenery that are too scared to move, too scared of the risk, and not motivated enough.

My current area may not be for everyone. But I do want to share the happiness.
Why do you want to motivate people to get the heck out? Each individual knows their own situation, and ultimately it's individuals who have to figure out what's best for them.

And you didn't talk about moving to Oregon (or actually staying in CNY, believe it or not some people like that). You specifically promoted the exact area where you live in SC, which I think seems rather shady.

Because even if people were interested in moving, why do you have to glorify SC and the area of SC where you live so? Just because I live in a place I don't think it's the best place in the world for everyone. And just because I left a place doesn't mean others living there shouldn't like it or stay.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:17 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,259,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Why do you want to motivate people to get the heck out? Each individual knows their own situation, and ultimately it's individuals who have to figure out what's best for them.

And you didn't talk about moving to Oregon (or actually staying in CNY, believe it or not some people like that). You specifically promoted the exact area where you live in SC, which I think seems rather shady.

Because even if people were interested in moving, why do you have to glorify SC and the area of SC where you live so? Just because I live in a place I don't think it's the best place in the world for everyone. And just because I left a place doesn't mean others living there shouldn't like it or stay.
He can't help himself. Say something nice about New York, he will say something bad about New York.

He has the right to post want he wants to post, but it is odd that someone would spend so much time on the New York Board doing this, rather than spending time on the South Carolina board. Maybe he does, I don't know.

I wonder if there are people who left South Carolina for another state, and spend months and months bashing South Carolina. Probably not.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:25 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,080 times
Quote:

Pride.

If you don't like it, move along.

Sorry, it's a new feeling for me after 30 years. I have trouble controlling it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111afdfq4etqewrmo

Old 05-15-2014, 11:46 AM

247 posts, read 525,885 times
Some people run to something, some run away from something.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:26 PM

I'll try and control myself around you debbie downers!

Old 05-15-2014, 02:20 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:

For purchasing a home, housing is comparatively cheap the entire country (including the North) once you LEAVE the biggest cities. You could just as easily move to Maine or Vermont and purchase a home in the country there as you could the South.
Try writing this in the Vermont forum and see what they will tell you. Housing, and taxes, are not cheap in rural VT when compared to salaries. Property taxes don't include septic, water district, or trash removal -- one pays for this on their own (which explains why some yards look like dumps.) Car insurance is less, but with the longer winters, I paid more to keep my house there at 50 degrees (it is empty during the week and want to prevent pipes from freezing) than I did to heat my home on LI. ($3200 vs $2200 for a year's worth of oil.) Snow removal costs for a long driveway in an area where there's snow on a fairly frequent basis adds up, too. Then factor in the cost of snow tires or studded tires if you live on a dirt road. Summer can get hot, so on goes the AC on the really bad days. Electric isn't as much as PSEG, but it is rather expensive. Things are further away, so you need a car for many things. Public transportation isn't very good in the rural areas. Sales taxes aren't low. And the biggie -- it you're retiring -- VT taxes retirement income.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:46 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Outward Bound New Yorkers (Where most of them went in the past 10 years)

2001-2009, net migration to PA, NJ, and CT combined 363608
2001-2009, net migration to FL and SC only combined 374464
2001-2009, net migration to "Deep South" combined 564899 (FL, SC, MS, AL, GA, NC)

If you cite where your FL, NJ, and CT comment is from (and I've seen the article before, so I believe you), I can go ahead and show you the next states in line and work up the numbers for you...Not to mention that NJ and CT shouldn't really be counted if they are moving within the same metro area.

Moving to North Dakota: The New Census Estimates | Newgeography.com

How The South Will Rise To Power Again - Forbes

Not to mention VanLines annual studies: 2013 Moving Map - Business Insider
So basically, you just confirmed everything I posted.. then inserted your own Southern propaganda.

Thanks for providing a source. Florida, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Connecticut would be the biggest recipients pre-recession from New York state. Let's recap: why would someone move from New York to Florida? Why would someone move from New York State to one of its neighboring also (blue, "liberal", highly taxed, expensive) states?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
NY State still added people due to immigration and births, with those 2 things occurring within NY for centuries. So, net migration can't be the only people can look at in regards to NY, along wondering if 2009-now may yield different or lower results.
Since 2009, Buffalo Metro and NYC Metro both posted positive in-migration.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:48 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Looks like I'm headed back Upstate for a few days, depending. My company, which has a few offices up there, needed someone to fill in, as one project coordinator had to leave on short notice. I'm single so I said why not. I contacted the guy who left and called him last night, mostly to see if I could get the inside scoop on the projects, but he talked to me about the area too.

He's leaving from a job in Clifton Park to go to Durham, NC. His rent is dropping from $1,400 a month for a two bedroom to $950 a month. That's going from a house to a townhouse, but the house he said was older and had no central A/C. His utilities cost him $450 a month in winter, $250 in summer. He's planning on living there for 6 months to see how the job works out, and then buying a house. He said that the homes there for around $200k are "pretty much all a man needs", with big garages and sheds for having a workshop. The taxes on $200k homes are around $1500/yr. You can get less house and be perfectly happy, and even have lower taxes, but he's pretty gung-ho about having some land, some ATV's and a 2 car garage for a workshop.

When all is said and done, he expects to save $500 a month, whereas now he's constantly using credit cards to stay afloat. He doesn't hate NY at all, even said he liked the Clifton Park area as he grew up in Long Island and said that Clifton Park reminded him of home. He graduated from SUNY Bing and tried to stay in NYS. But the main reasons for moving were pure and simple: at the end of the day, he'll have more disposable income at a comparable salary. The bonuses are getting better weather and a newer house for the money. He is single too and said he could never afford a house in the Clifton Park area on his own. As an aside, he expects the dating pool of women to be a blessing and a curse- a larger number of younger people but many of them married younger as well.

He has been harassed by cops more in NC than anywhere in NY, so he's changing his plates over first thing. I told him my experience was different. Also, he did say that he met several people who told him to go back to NY or called him a Yankee, even in Charlotte. While I never experienced that, he DID have a very heavy Long Island accent and sounded like Billy Joel a little, speaking quickly and harshly; very Long Islandish. So sometimes it depends on the individual whether or not people are going to treat you a certain way.
What industry is he in?

Everything he mentioned can be found in Buffalo or Rochester Area Metros. Both are cheaper than the Charlotte Area (Rochester just barely so).

Old 05-15-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
So basically, you just confirmed everything I posted.. then inserted your own Southern propaganda.

Thanks for providing a source. Florida, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Connecticut would be the biggest recipients pre-recession from New York state. Let's recap: why would someone move from New York to Florida? Why would someone move from New York State to one of its neighboring also (blue, "liberal", highly taxed, expensive) states?
I think you may not be getting it. The biggest recipients of people from NY are in the South. Count the numbers. It's all there. Just because 2nd and 3rd are Northern States, doesn't mean most of migration is to the North. What I basically showed you is that people moving to the South blows out your #2 and #3 spots combined. How could you not tell that's what I did??????? What I did was just show you how the media spins numbers and people like you who don't look at source data are easily tricked. I also mentioned that moving to New Jersey or Connecticut is the equivalent to moving from Greece to Pittsford in Rochester. It's just another suburb in the metro; thus, shouldn't really be counted. People could be moving to those areas for reasons such as commute and neighborhoods, just the same as a suburban move in Buffalo or Albany and the number is high because the NYC metro is so densely populated.

A more accurate study would control for this, discounting inner-metro migration.

I'll try and speak slower next time I post stats.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:57 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Try writing this in the Vermont forum and see what they will tell you. Housing, and taxes, are not cheap in rural VT when compared to salaries. Property taxes don't include septic, water district, or trash removal -- one pays for this on their own (which explains why some yards look like dumps.) Car insurance is less, but with the longer winters, I paid more to keep my house there at 50 degrees (it is empty during the week and want to prevent pipes from freezing) than I did to heat my home on LI. ($3200 vs $2200 for a year's worth of oil.) Snow removal costs for a long driveway in an area where there's snow on a fairly frequent basis adds up, too. Then factor in the cost of snow tires or studded tires if you live on a dirt road. Summer can get hot, so on goes the AC on the really bad days. Electric isn't as much as PSEG, but it is rather expensive. Things are further away, so you need a car for many things. Public transportation isn't very good in the rural areas. Sales taxes aren't low. And the biggie -- it you're retiring -- VT taxes retirement income.
All this does not mean people are living for free in the rural South. First if you live in the South expect to spend a lot on A/C in the summer. Depending on where one lives hurricane and storm damages tend to be frequent.

It sounds like you're frustrated by the daily grind of life, but that is going to happen ANYWHERE in the world. And yes, there are sales taxes in the South too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York