Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 12:11 AM

4 posts, read 5,911 times

Advertisements

I am close with friends with a 22 year old female. My friend is a very attractive brunette with the shiniest blue eyes and her boyfriend is a gentleman of East Indian heritage who is on his way to being a doctor, good looking guy too. The two are an unlikely couple and one you would probably don't see a lot of wherever you go. Unfortunately this has led to more than enough racism than the two are used to.

We all live in North Carolina and have been victims of a lot of open racism. It has been pretty nasty at times too. I have seen people make openly racist comments, guys hit on my friend and then when they see her with her boyfriend go into rage and throw racist comments, and it has been tough for them. A week ago we were at a restaurant sitting down and eating. Out of nowhere a young male (white and in his 20s) comes in and starts hitting on my friend. She is with her boyfriend and lets him know, I am sitting there watching. The man lets out a laugh, looks at her and says "so you really hate America that much to want to be with this thing here?". He then walks away.

I was disgusted but here in NC, interracial couples that involve white women with men who look exotic (asian or non white latino) are not common especially if the woman is good looking.

what would be some accepting areas in new york for a couple like my friends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 05:20 AM

93,264 posts, read 123,898,066 times
You'll be fine, like I've been telling "your friend" on the General US forum. I've such couples in the Syracuse area before. No big deal.

Ithaca comes to mind and at least parts of any of the metro areas. I'd say to look into areas near a college or suburbs with a relatively good amount of cultural diversity along with a good rep like Brighton, Vestal, DeWitt, Colonie, Amherst, Niskayuna, New Hartford and many Downstate, among others.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-08-2014 at 05:32 AM..

Old 05-08-2014, 08:27 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,035,924 times
Not that I'm an expert on every region of the state; but truly you won't have any problems in NY. The capital region of NY is home to at least 12 renowned colleges and universities from the medical college at AMC to Union in Schenectady & RPI in Troy; from the law school to Nanotech; from Siena & St. Rose to the SUNY system including their community colleges. Trust me, this has given us a real melting pot of diversity. A lot of things disappoint me about NYS, but racial issues is not one of them.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:01 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon Cheeky View Post
I am close with friends with a 22 year old female. My friend is a very attractive brunette with the shiniest blue eyes and her boyfriend is a gentleman of East Indian heritage who is on his way to being a doctor, good looking guy too. The two are an unlikely couple and one you would probably don't see a lot of wherever you go. Unfortunately this has led to more than enough racism than the two are used to.

We all live in North Carolina and have been victims of a lot of open racism. It has been pretty nasty at times too. I have seen people make openly racist comments, guys hit on my friend and then when they see her with her boyfriend go into rage and throw racist comments, and it has been tough for them. A week ago we were at a restaurant sitting down and eating. Out of nowhere a young male (white and in his 20s) comes in and starts hitting on my friend. She is with her boyfriend and lets him know, I am sitting there watching. The man lets out a laugh, looks at her and says "so you really hate America that much to want to be with this thing here?". He then walks away.

I was disgusted but here in NC, interracial couples that involve white women with men who look exotic (asian or non white latino) are not common especially if the woman is good looking.

what would be some accepting areas in new york for a couple like my friends?
Hogwash. No one in NC cares if you're dating outside your race. This is a bait thread at best.

Also, it sounds like you got a little thing for your so called "friend"...

Old 05-08-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Hogwash. No one in NC cares if you're dating outside your race. This is a bait thread at best.

Also, it sounds like you got a little thing for your so called "friend"...
LOL I have been in NC for over a decade, a lot of people care.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:15 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon Cheeky View Post
LOL I have been in NC for over a decade, a lot of people care.
What part of NC?

Old 05-09-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
What part of NC?
suburbs of Raleigh

Old 05-09-2014, 08:45 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,907,143 times
Very few strangers would bother you. NYS has a high rate of interracial dating so most ppl are used to seeing it around.

In my experience, most racism in this state is very subtle, indirect and in the form of undertones. You really won't experience blatant racism unless you become "friends" with some ppl; and their true color show.

I would recommend avoiding insular-homogenous suburban towns as well as the rust-belt blue collar upstate towns.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:33 AM

93,264 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Very few strangers would bother you. NYS has a high rate of interracial dating so most ppl are used to seeing it around.

In my experience, most racism in this state is very subtle, indirect and in the form of undertones. You really won't experience blatant racism unless you become "friends" with some ppl; and their true color show.

I would recommend avoiding insular-homogenous suburban towns as well as the rust-belt blue collar upstate towns.
Actually, you may see your share of interracial couples in some of the blue collar towns Upstate towns/cities too if they have some degree of cultural diversity that is notable. Auburn and Elmira come to mind immediately.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, you may see your share of interracial couples in some of the blue collar towns Upstate towns/cities too if they have some degree of cultural diversity that is notable. Auburn and Elmira come to mind immediately.
what kind of interracial couples are we talking though?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York