Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 10:18 PM

93,338 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
You wouldn't catch me moving INTO NY. Take the hint and move away. The poor job market, high taxes, and horrible business environment are just the beginning. Upstate is kind of the forgotten part of NY, anything above Westchester gets overlooked and rates, at best, as maybe synonymous with a 3rd cousin at a will reading.
You could have saved yourself a post, as he had a position lined up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 06:49 PM

43 posts, read 83,545 times
Well, I got the job! (very slow process) I will be moving to Binghamton in November. The next step will be finding a place to live. Thinking I may rent for a year or two until I get more of a feel for the area and how long I may be there. Does anyone know anything about the Legacy Bay Townhomes? They look very nice but of course many places do on the internet but come up a bit short when you actually see them...

Old 09-04-2014, 08:47 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,111,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherman2342 View Post
Well, I got the job! (very slow process) I will be moving to Binghamton in November. The next step will be finding a place to live. Thinking I may rent for a year or two until I get more of a feel for the area and how long I may be there. Does anyone know anything about the Legacy Bay Townhomes? They look very nice but of course many places do on the internet but come up a bit short when you actually see them...
I believe the Townhomes will probably meet your expectations in terms of looking like the picture, and with the price point it's unlikely you'd have "low-class" neighbors.

That said, you should probably understand that the location is going to feel kind of isolated. You're basically a mile out of town and up a big hill with no other residential development nearby, virtually nothing even on the same side of 17 as you.

If you are looking for feeling like you're in town, things within a walk/bike distance, etc, it is not the place for you.

On the other hand, while the North of Main area along Glenwood Ave isn't great (but not terrible), you are far away from it physically and psychologically, and I would have no concerns about crime or that sort of thing there.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:40 PM

43 posts, read 83,545 times
Hmmm, ok, thanks for the information! I’ll be working shift work including night shifts so one of the big things I’ll be looking for will be something quiet for daytime sleeping. May be hard to have it all as I would prefer something a little more centrally located but the quiet is important too. Any other places you or anyone else might recommend?

Old 09-10-2014, 06:51 PM

251 posts, read 341,357 times
Quote:
congrats on getting the job and welcome to NY state.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Hmmm, ok, thanks for the information! I’ll be working shift work including night shifts so one of the big things I’ll be looking for will be something quiet for daytime sleeping. May be hard to have it all as I would prefer something a little more centrally located but the quiet is important too. Any other places you or anyone else might recommend?
What about these complexes? The Meadows Apartments - Burstyn Group

Holly Brook Apartments - Burstyn Group

Cambridge Square Apartments - Endicott Apartments For Rent | Endicott NY

Summit Chase Apartments, Upstate NY

Indian Ridge Luxury Apartments - Johnson City Apartments For Rent | Johnson City NY

Old 09-16-2014, 08:18 PM

This could help with your search as well: binghamton apts/housing for rent - craigslist

Old 12-02-2014, 02:09 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,111,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateissue View Post
Binghamton is a dumb.
I think your post sums you up well.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,486 times
I am also moving to the Binghamton area for a job. It seems like a nice place. I coming to Binghamton from Baltimore via New Jersey. It is definitely less developed than Baltimore or suburban New Jersey but hopefully my job is worth it considering that I will be away from my family and friends. = (

I am a South Asian male (born and raised in the US though). Is the community around Binghamton (including Vestel, Endicott, Johnson City, etc) okay with non-whites? I do not need an Asian community around me or anything like that. Just curious. I do not want to get weird looks (or get my ass whipped) when I go to a restaurant or the mall.

Since I am 32 years old, single, and have no family, my responsibilities are pretty minimal. I am looking to forward to making my way to upstate New York!

Old 12-08-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddlesexCountyMan View Post
I am also moving to the Binghamton area for a job. It seems like a nice place. I coming to Binghamton from Baltimore via New Jersey. It is definitely less developed than Baltimore or suburban New Jersey but hopefully my job is worth it considering that I will be away from my family and friends. = (

I am a South Asian male (born and raised in the US though). Is the community around Binghamton (including Vestel, Endicott, Johnson City, etc) okay with non-whites? I do not need an Asian community around me or anything like that. Just curious. I do not want to get weird looks (or get my ass whipped) when I go to a restaurant or the mall.

Since I am 32 years old, single, and have no family, my responsibilities are pretty minimal. I am looking to forward to making my way to upstate New York!
You will be fine and Vestal has a good sized and diverse Asian population. Johnson City, parts of Binghamton and I believe Endicott and maybe Endwell does as well. If you go shopping on Vestal Parkway, you would see a range of people shopping. Same for the Wal*Mart or Oakdale Mall in Johnson City. What many people don't know is that the area has had its share of refugees from SE Asia and other countries, along with Binghamton University in Vestal having a large and diverse Asian student population. So, I wouldn't worry about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York