Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2015, 01:11 PM

174 posts, read 204,167 times

Advertisements

I just moved back to NY.
National grid is my gas and electric supplier.
I see there are many energy supplier choices but nothing clear as to rates compared to leaving it with national grid.They seem to make it as confusing as possible to get you to sign up with them and then there are guys going door to door trying to sign you up.
I use natural gas for a water heater and heat in the winter.
Are there any suppliers that save you any money vs leaving it with national grid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 01:17 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Where do you live within the state? Have you tried looking into the Budget Plan?

Old 03-06-2015, 01:18 PM

174 posts, read 204,167 times
I'm upstate in Watertown

Old 03-06-2015, 02:11 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessyankee View Post
I'm upstate in Watertown
I would look into the Budget Plan with National Grid or research other energy suppliers.

Another option that is possible, but is something you are less likely to do is to move to Philadelphia or Theresa, which get their energy/power from NYPA, which has lower rates. Both are small villages further north closer to Fort Drum and are rural. http://www.nypa.gov/about/images/MuniCoopMap.jpg

Hopefully this helps and good luck.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:03 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,578,000 times
Don't sign up with any energy supplier. You are getting the same thing from the same company, in your case is national grid, and there's shouldn't be any additional charge for it.

When you sign up for what they call a reduce rate or whatever the case is, you actually paying national grid for their service, and on top of that, the service of the so called reduce price energy supplier. I don't see why you would want to pay double the amount when you simply need to pay one supplier.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:36 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,156,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guangzl1 View Post
Don't sign up with any energy supplier. You are getting the same thing from the same company, in your case is national grid, and there's shouldn't be any additional charge for it.

When you sign up for what they call a reduce rate or whatever the case is, you actually paying national grid for their service, and on top of that, the service of the so called reduce price energy supplier. I don't see why you would want to pay double the amount when you simply need to pay one supplier.
When you stay with National Grid for your energy supply, you are still paying National Grid for both service and supply. It is broken down on the bill. the service charge from National Grid will never go away. They have the monopoly of service in that area. However, the supply rates are different from different providers. National Grid is far from the cheapest, but also far from the most expensive. The pure green companies tend to be a little more expensive, but there are cheaper companies to buy power from.

It is NOT paying double. I have never met someone who chose to pay more by switching suppliers unless it was a switch based on something other than money (like buying only wind power or green based energy). Before we converted to solar, we used our local utility for service, but had a supplier that was about 4-% cheaper. Its not a ton of money, but saving $10 per month for nothing more than a single phone call was worth it. I would look at the other suppliers in your area and look at the supply rates. It is more likely than not that National Grid is not the cheapest.

Please understand, this is not paying double. Its paying national grid for service and a supplier for energy instead of national grid for both.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:16 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,819,190 times
The relevance of "how much cheaper is it" is sometimes a bit sketchy. Many ESCOs ( the other people who supply) have a locked in amount while your own supplier floats with the market. We had an ESCO trying to get us to sign on last year -- and their rate would have cost me more, simply as natural gas dropped this year.

Use National Grid a year, watch the prices on natural gas. If some ESCO can go lower than the lowest price NG charges, decide then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York