Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 09:06 PM

43 posts, read 83,153 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]Hi, I’m considering some job leads around thecountry in my field and one of the openings will be in Binghamton. What appealsto me about the area is that I’m from the northeast and would be within severalhours from where I grew up. What I’d like to know though is how would theBinghamton area be for a single, professional early to mid 30s male? Is thearea transplant friendly? How is the dating scene? Thanks!
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 06:50 AM

91,984 posts, read 122,078,964 times
As for the transplant part, I'd guess and say that the West Side of the city, Downtown and Vestal would have more people that come from other areas due to the University. With Nanotech coming to Downtown Binghamton, you may see more people from other areas coming into the area.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:26 PM

Thanks so much for the info! Would also be interesting though to hear if anyone has a good take on the dating/singles scene in the area...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
As for the transplant part, I'd guess and say that the West Side of the city, Downtown and Vestal would have more people that come from other areas due to the University. With Nanotech coming to Downtown Binghamton, you may see more people from other areas coming into the area.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:46 PM

5,287 posts, read 6,084,790 times
You will not find a "swinging singles scene" in Bingo as you would in a big city. But there are plenty of lonely females in the "twin tiers" and many dating sites on the web, both pay and free. Try Craig's List for Bingo, Elmira-Corning, Ithaca and the "twin tiers."

Click below for answers to a similar question about Ithaca.

Nightlife in Ithaca - College Confidential

Old 05-07-2014, 06:34 PM

No, I wouldn't expect so but good to know there are at least some options. Where I am now in a very rural, isolated area there is next to nothing. Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
You will not find a "swinging singles scene" in Bingo as you would in a big city. But there are plenty of lonely females in the "twin tiers" and many dating sites on the web, both pay and free. Try Craig's List for Bingo, Elmira-Corning, Ithaca and the "twin tiers."

Click below for answers to a similar question about Ithaca.

Nightlife in Ithaca - College Confidential

Old 05-07-2014, 08:59 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,095,680 times
I would say the biggest issue for you is likely that the 30-somethings are a smaller than average slice of the population.

There's a lot of young people for college/grad school, and there's a lot of older, long-time residents. As a result, you may find that a lot of what's available in terms of bars, restaurants, etc, feels aimed at one of those two groups, and not you.

That said, compared to a rural area, it'll be worlds better, obviously. And there are still plenty of 30-somethings, just less than the average.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:57 AM

43 posts, read 142,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherman2342 View Post
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]Hi, I’m considering some job leads around thecountry in my field and one of the openings will be in Binghamton. What appealsto me about the area is that I’m from the northeast and would be within severalhours from where I grew up. What I’d like to know though is how would theBinghamton area be for a single, professional early to mid 30s male? Is thearea transplant friendly? How is the dating scene? Thanks!
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Honestly, No. The dating scene here is brutal...The cost of living is really cheap, but other than that...I don't know many people that like it here, honestly. We're looking to get out.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:26 PM

91,984 posts, read 122,078,964 times
Available Articles | Newman Development selected for Binghamton parking-garage project

Old 06-06-2014, 09:38 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,459,406 times
You wouldn't catch me moving INTO NY. Take the hint and move away. The poor job market, high taxes, and horrible business environment are just the beginning. Upstate is kind of the forgotten part of NY, anything above Westchester gets overlooked and rates, at best, as maybe synonymous with a 3rd cousin at a will reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York