Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 06:43 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,316,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
When I lived there recycling was mandatory. You had to separate all of your cans, bottles and papers placing them in separate bins for recycling. No big deal. Failure to do so would result in a $250 fine. If the garbagemen found a recyclable item in the regular trash they would summon the sanitation supervisor to issue a ticket. I used to place all of my bottles and cans out for recycling including those that had a deposit, the illegal immigrants and derelicts would come by every Friday and rummage through the bins looking for those containers leaving a mess in front of my house that I had to go out to clean up before the garbage truck arrived. So I started to bring them back to the supermarket only to find those same illegals and derelicts feeding shopping carts full of returnables into the recycling machine. What annoyed me is that they never bought a damn thing in that supermarket and I had to wait for them to finish before I could use the machine usually for 15 minutes or more. If curbside recycling is mandatory why do you have to pay a deposit on these containers? I called my assembly women Sandy Galef, and spoke with her personally and she told me it was to prevent littering. Which I replied: If you really want to prevent littering why don't you just put deposits on fast food containers that get tossed out the window of passing cars when the occupants are finished eating? Stone cold silence. Another thing I do not miss about New York.
It's idiotic to fine for not "properly" recycling. Recycling programs are a waste of money and busywork for consumers and recycling plant works as a whole. Most often it's more efficient just to make a new product than it is to recycle it. We are not in danger of landfill space, nor are we of losing trees. It's a waste. Criminalizing non-recycling behavior is criminal in itself. And yet NYers eat it up because they don't know any better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 07:29 PM

7,510 posts, read 4,351,558 times
rorytmeadows:
Quote:
"It's idiotic to fine for not "properly" recycling."
Not only that but they're paying someone to ride around in a pick up truck emblazoned with "Sanitation Supervisor" on the side to do it. I used to work for the Village of Irvington, N.Y. at the time the head of the department of sanitation also drove one of the garbage trucks. The highway superintendent drove the dump trucks and operated the front end loader. Man have times changed! Here in Arizona all trash goes into one bin, no fuss, no muss, no illegals or derelicts rummaging through your garbage and hogging the recycling machines at the supermarket. I really don't have a problem with recycling, it's the unintended consequences of it that I object to. New Yorkers do indeed eat it up, the more laws to control people's lives the better. They can keep it. We can just sit back, shake our heads and laugh. We're outta there. However, it is fun raising the ire of the "Progressives".

Old 05-09-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
rorytmeadows:

Not only that but they're paying someone to ride around in a pick up truck emblazoned with "Sanitation Supervisor" on the side to do it. I used to work for the Village of Irvington, N.Y. at the time the head of the department of sanitation also drove one of the garbage trucks. The highway superintendent drove the dump trucks and operated the front end loader. Man have times changed! Here in Arizona all trash goes into one bin, no fuss, no muss, no illegals or derelicts rummaging through your garbage and hogging the recycling machines at the supermarket. I really don't have a problem with recycling, it's the unintended consequences of it that I object to. New Yorkers do indeed eat it up, the more laws to control people's lives the better. They can keep it. We can just sit back, shake our heads and laugh. We're outta there. However, it is fun raising the ire of the "Progressives".
Brilliant post. I have heard similar educated brilliant posts from others in Arizona, ironically. I wish AZ had a beach, otherwise I'd be there right now! Cheers to you, mate.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:55 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
rorytmeadows:

That doesn't sound that much different then the fines you get in developments with a HOA, which is essentially a privatized form of government that is also very common in these Sunbelt areas. So, even in terms of fines, you still can be had and it is pretty simple to separate recyclable items.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:09 PM

Yeah, not sure what planet your HOA was on, but mine isn't like that. I throw out cans and bottles as I want to without penalty.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:39 PM

ckhthankgod:
Quote:
"That doesn't sound that much different then the fines you get in developments with a HOA, which is essentially a privatized form of government that is also very common in these Sunbelt areas. So, even in terms of fines, you still can be had and it is pretty simple to separate recyclable items."
I don't live in an HOA we do have a choice, with government we do not.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:43 PM

rorytmeadows:
Quote:
"Brilliant post. I have heard similar educated brilliant posts from others in Arizona, ironically. I wish AZ had a beach, otherwise I'd be there right now! Cheers to you, mate."
Well at least you can come out and visit, love to have you. I'm glad your happy in South Carolina nothing wrong with that, I've heard it is a beautiful state. I just love the desert, something about it that is alluring.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:42 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Yeah, not sure what planet your HOA was on, but mine isn't like that. I throw out cans and bottles as I want to without penalty.
I'm not talking about bottles and cans, but in regards to other by laws and stipulations, if they aren't followed properly where you can get fined. I've never been fined for throwing a bottle out, by the way.

Not to stretch out a thread that was essentially finished about 8 posts in, but just get a bottle that doesn't leach and fill that up with water.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-10-2014 at 06:22 AM..

Old 05-10-2014, 09:37 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:

Not only that but they're paying someone to ride around in a pick up truck emblazoned with "Sanitation Supervisor" on the side to do it. I used to work for the Village of Irvington, N.Y. at the time the head of the department of sanitation also drove one of the garbage trucks. The highway superintendent drove the dump trucks and operated the front end loader. Man have times changed! Here in Arizona all trash goes into one bin, no fuss, no muss....
Town of Brookhaven has 3 collections per week -- trash Monday & Thursday, recycling on Wednesday. We have single stream recycling which allows us to place cardboard, newspaper, plastics, glass, & cans in the same receptacle. Prior to that, cardboard/newspaper collection would alternate Wednesdays with glass/can/plastic.

My recycling and trash receptacles are next to one another, so it's really not troublesome.

I would be angry, too, if my garbage collector were sorting through my trash in an effort to fine me for not recycling -- that's nonsense.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:24 AM

ckhthankgod:
Quote:
"That doesn't sound that much different then the fines you get in developments with a HOA"
You keep comparing an HOA to government, HOA's are private entities you do not have to live in an HOA. Those who choose to live in an HOA willingly accept the terms of living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York