Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 11:40 AM

7,505 posts, read 4,347,082 times

Advertisements

OhBeeHave:
Quote:
"I would be angry, too, if my garbage collector were sorting through my trash in an effort to fine me for not recycling -- that's nonsense."
It didn't happen to me, but it did happen to two of my neighbors who told us they were issued summonses for having a recyclable item in their trash. We did however witness the sanitation supervisor respond to their homes after the garbagemen noticed the offending item and then called the supervisor to their residence to inspect the trash. What did happen to me was I called the City of Peekskill in advance and told them that I was going to pick up all the litter across the street and if I did this would they pick it up and would I have to separate all the cans and bottles from the rest of the litter for recycling purposes. They told me no and appreciated the fact that I cleaned up the mess. Well lo and behold the garbagemen came and refused to pick up the two full garbage cans of litter in spite of what I told them. It was obvious that this was litter as opposed to regular household garbage. I had to then make repeated calls to the city in order to get them to pick this up, which they eventually did. Ah yes, the pleasure of living in New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 11:44 AM

696 posts, read 904,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
If you are a true environmentalist, you should be drinking water by filling a glass (inert material) with tap water. You can double filter it if you want (filter on the tap and filter in the pitcher) and its still cheaper and environmentally friendly. Filters can now be recycled too. I usually accumulate 10 of them and take them at one time to the recycling bin.

They also have glass lined stainless steel canteens to take with you.

did you bother to read ANYTHING I posted?

Old 05-10-2014, 11:48 AM

696 posts, read 904,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantweed View Post
$1.20 is a lot of money?

I am sure there are lots of struggling non-profits (animal shelters, food pantries, etc.) who would come pick up your bottles.

So, where exactly is the tap water bad?
so your a rich guy who can **** away $1.20 everytime you buy a case of water on bottle deposit, good for you.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:49 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
I am so sick of this. How dare they. Bottle deposits for soda and the like is fine by me, but when that jerk off governor who later got kicked out forced NY state to charge 5 cents per bottle of water? That is unconstitutional and criminal. What are we supposed to do? Haul huge amounts of the bottled water we drink and go to tons of time and effort to do so and get our money back? I also have alot of joint problems that would make it even harder for me to do that and for even a healthy person it is hard and inconvenient. We can't drink tap water becasue it's so polluted and tastes likes ****, they have basically forced us to do this. Those brita things also make the water taste like ****, are extremely expensive and don't fit on my bathroom sink. We need to lobby and start a petition to repeal that stupid law.
Sounds like a great idea... Good for NY.

One of the reasons your tap water is so bad is because people pollute. This is designed to help pollution in general.

As far as returning the bottles, you go get them and your joint problems don't seem to deter you, how will taking back empty, lighter weight bottles be any worse?

Old 05-10-2014, 12:12 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
OhBeeHave:

It didn't happen to me, but it did happen to two of my neighbors who told us they were issued summonses for having a recyclable item in their trash. We did however witness the sanitation supervisor respond to their homes after the garbagemen noticed the offending item and then called the supervisor to their residence to inspect the trash. What did happen to me was I called the City of Peekskill in advance and told them that I was going to pick up all the litter across the street and if I did this would they pick it up and would I have to separate all the cans and bottles from the rest of the litter for recycling purposes. They told me no and appreciated the fact that I cleaned up the mess. Well lo and behold the garbagemen came and refused to pick up the two full garbage cans of litter in spite of what I told them. It was obvious that this was litter as opposed to regular household garbage. I had to then make repeated calls to the city in order to get them to pick this up, which they eventually did. Ah yes, the pleasure of living in New York.
That sounds more like a local City of Peekskill problem than NYS. Nonetheless, stinks to high heaven. Bet the sanitation guys would have looked the other way for a tip. Grrrrrrrrrr!

Old 05-10-2014, 12:14 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Sounds like a great idea... Good for NY.

One of the reasons your tap water is so bad is because people pollute. This is designed to help pollution in general.

As far as returning the bottles, you go get them and your joint problems don't seem to deter you, how will taking back empty, lighter weight bottles be any worse?
Since the deposit was placed on bottled water, sports fields are much cleaner.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:14 PM

7,505 posts, read 4,347,082 times
OhBeeHave:
Quote:
"That sounds more like a local City of Peekskill problem than NYS. Nonetheless, stinks to high heaven. Bet the sanitation guys would have looked the other way for a tip. Grrrrrrrrrr!"
As a matter of fact he always gave them a tip. No more.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:37 PM

93,194 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
That sounds more like a local City of Peekskill problem than NYS. Nonetheless, stinks to high heaven. Bet the sanitation guys would have looked the other way for a tip. Grrrrrrrrrr!
I think have a winner!

Old 05-10-2014, 08:05 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
Too bad they can't put deposits on paper coffee cups. While there is this effort to ban plastic bags, I rarely see them along the side of highways. However, paper cups are everywhere, dumped by a bunch of lazy no good slobs.

With respect to bottled water, I buy the cheapest stuff I can find, and then refill the bottle with tap water until it starts to disintegrate.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:54 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,315,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Too bad they can't put deposits on paper coffee cups. While there is this effort to ban plastic bags, I rarely see them along the side of highways. However, paper cups are everywhere, dumped by a bunch of lazy no good slobs.

With respect to bottled water, I buy the cheapest stuff I can find, and then refill the bottle with tap water until it starts to disintegrate.
Bottled water bottles heated by the sun because it sat in your car, may release harmful chemicals into the water. Basic principle: buy a refillable and use that instead of the disposable water bottles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York