U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2014, 07:16 PM

5 posts, read 10,491 times

Advertisements

I got answers to some of my questions in some other Plattsburgh posts, but I'm going to make a new one to add some new ones. I've seen a couple of members who seem very knowledgeable about the area, so I hope they'll read over this post. Thanks in advance to anyone who actually reads all the way through this post and can answer any of our questions.

As a bit of background for myself and my fiance, we have been residing in the Norfolk area of Virginia since 2007. We are both Rochester NY natives, having lived there our entire lives prior to leaving for Virginia. As a lot of native northerners in the south get, we're getting tired of some of the down sides to living here and yearning for the north again. My job won't allow me to get to any of the thruway cities (which would be ideal for us), but we got intrigued with the Plattsburgh area since my job could allow a relocation there.

We took a road trip up this past weekend to check out the area. The weather was fantastic and the few people we chatted with were very friendly and passionate about the Plattsburgh area. We were a little put off by some points about the city, but otherwise pleasantly surprised.

I realize this is reading more like a series of statements rather than a list of questions so let me get on to that part.

1) As Rochester natives, we're well aware of resilient and gray winters (and gray days almost year round for that matter). I'm wondering if Plattsburgh is any better off. How's the sunshine there? Is the summer season really only June and July?

2) Speaking of winters, how well do the streets get plowed and maintained in snowy weather? This question would apply to all over the area.

3) Since we liked the downtown but felt it could use a little more polish, we're curious to know if there are any improvement committees or associations? If so, what sort of projects do they typically take on?

4) Do any of the city neighborhoods have active associations? Not like HOA with fees and such, but just like where the neighbors look out for each other and the neighborhood and maybe do get togethers once in a while.

5) Are most of the city neighborhoods safe enough to be walking around at night? What about for kids?

6) This is probably an odd question. We "cut the cord" several years ago and only have rabbit ears for TV (and yes, HD still works over the air). Being the area is pretty remote up there, does anyone know if any broadcast channels can be brought in with an antenna?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 10:06 AM

365 posts, read 737,284 times
I do not live in Plattsburgh but just will respond to part of your comments.

The parts of the city you were put off by-can you live with it and/or can you change it??

If you are yearning for the North again, just don't over think things too much. No place is perfect.

Summer season-well yesterday here in the north country it was 80 degrees with some humidity, seemed like summer to me.

Gray winters-yes I would say so.

Crime-its everywhere right BUT I am not aware of major crime happenings anywhere near the area. Not saying there isn't but when I think of crime Plattsburgh is no where near my list of scary places.

Half of your battle is over-a job relocation-you are native Nyers-give it a try. What do you have to lose???

Old 05-16-2014, 11:07 AM

3,349 posts, read 8,922,580 times
I live across the lake in VT and go Plattsburgh once a month or so. I'll try to answer what I can.

1. Winter - yes. Gray. Cold. Snow.
2. Plowing-hopefully someone who lives there can answer. I do know that life doesn't shut down when it snows . Schools will get closed if there is a big storm but a couple inches? Life goes on as normal.
3. It seems like there is always some sort of group trying to revitalize downtown (from what I see on the local news). Its been going on for years but there seems to be little progress. Plattsburgh is lakefront-gotta take advantage of that!
4. Neighborhood Associations - don't know. Hopefully someone local will chime in.
5. There is occasional crime on the news coming out of Plattsburgh. Usually around the college areas. Nothing serious...but petty drug related stuff (vandalism, break ins etc).
6. TV. You should get ABC 22 out of Burlington, WPTZ (NBC) out of Plattsburgh/Colchester, WCAX (Burlington CBS), Mountain Lakes PBS, Vermont Public Television, Fox44 (Burlington) and possible the Montreal channels.
Plattsburgh has decent shopping - a small mall with Target, Sears, JCPenney etc. A big WalMart. Aldi. Across the lake in Burlington there are a couple more malls with some more upscale stores than you would find in Plattsburgh (Macys, JCrew, etc). Trader Joe's just opened today. And don't forget Montreal, one hour north.
To get an idea as to waht is going on in the area check out the Plattsburgh Press Republican: Homepage » Press-Republican
or WPTZ
Burlington, VT and Plattsburgh, NY News and Weather - WPTZ Channel 5

Last edited by vter; 05-16-2014 at 02:43 PM..

Old 05-16-2014, 03:50 PM

59,414 posts, read 84,233,535 times
I know that the city has a fresh water beach that is free for city residents and some other good recreational opportunities.

City of Plattsburgh Recreation Department

GoAdirondack.com-Home Page

Old 05-30-2014, 09:57 AM

5 posts, read 10,491 times
Thank you to those of you who replied! We will be making a decision in the coming couple of weeks. Does anyone else have any insight or tips about living in the area?

Old 05-30-2014, 02:07 PM

247 posts, read 448,129 times
Get your passport, learn a little French and have a blast in Québec. Montréal is a world-class town with infinite things to do.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantweed View Post
Get your passport, learn a little French and have a blast in Québec. Montréal is a world-class town with infinite things to do.
Trips on the ferry to Burlington are probably pretty cool too.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,300 times
Having lived in Plattsburgh from 1960 to 1974 as a child, and from 2000 to 2012 as an adult, I am very familiar with the place. At age 47, after living in DC for 25 years, I returned to build a nice house in the woods, thinking the place had probably grown some like most places. I was sadly wrong.

It is picturesque. The lake is nice. It is a good place for kids to grow up. But it is a depressed area with high taxes that you don't benefit from. The summers are short and the winters are brutal. People are bigoted, many backward, many welfare recipients. The city government is crooked and incompetent. There is nothing to do. Most people I know who like it there, spend a lot of time planning vacations to go somewhere else, so that tells you something. It's boring there. I couldn't see spending the rest of my life in such a hole in the wall, so I moved.

My second dose of that place was the last. I live and love my present home of Las Vegas, and will probably never go back to Plattsburgh. There is just nothing there!

Old 09-29-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randothegroovy View Post
Having lived in Plattsburgh from 1960 to 1974 as a child, and from 2000 to 2012 as an adult, I am very familiar with the place. At age 47, after living in DC for 25 years, I returned to build a nice house in the woods, thinking the place had probably grown some like most places. I was sadly wrong.

It is picturesque. The lake is nice. It is a good place for kids to grow up. But it is a depressed area with high taxes that you don't benefit from. The summers are short and the winters are brutal. People are bigoted, many backward, many welfare recipients. The city government is crooked and incompetent. There is nothing to do. Most people I know who like it there, spend a lot of time planning vacations to go somewhere else, so that tells you something. It's boring there. I couldn't see spending the rest of my life in such a hole in the wall, so I moved.

My second dose of that place was the last. I live and love my present home of Las Vegas, and will probably never go back to Plattsburgh. There is just nothing there!
Interesting, given that the city and Clinton County have grown in recent years and the city had an openly gay mayor not too long ago as well. I'm sure it isn't perfect, but there seems to be some growth and open minded folks there. Its overall COL seems to be just under the national figure, at least for the city of Plattsburgh.

It also is close to places like Burlington VT and Montreal. So, it isn't like there aren't other places to go to nearby. I believe that the Adirondacks are minutes away as well. Personally, I'd probably go to Montreal quite a bit if I lived up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York