Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 10:42 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
What most people do when they can't afford to live where they work is commute. I mean, Manhattan has 1 million people but the metro has 18 million. You live in the NYC metro, commuting an hour is not uncommon to be able to afford a house. And its really not that bad.
I am not spending 2 hours a day commuting, when I could simply move to a cheaper metro area and commute less than 30 minutes. I know many people do the long commute thing, but it's not for me. Even with a 30 minute commute, it's bad enough that there's only so many hours in the day, in this busy day and age. In my opinion, having a long commute degrades quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 12:17 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Quote:
//www.city-data.com/forum/penns...lose-road.html

Old 06-18-2014, 12:25 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,821,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
^This. Probably the most unappealing part of PA that I can think of. Homes within feet of major roads. Also, the dominance of rowhomes in small town PA. Just a style of living that people didn't mind back in the day that is really not what people prefer now. Here is where I am posting this from today, as I head back home from a few days in the Northern Tier of PA:

http://goo.gl/maps/KKMCK

No greenery, no shade (its 91* here right now), no place to hang out, nothing really inviting you in. And this is not a real cheap part of the Lehigh Valley either.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am not spending 2 hours a day commuting, when I could simply move to a cheaper metro area and commute less than 30 minutes. I know many people do the long commute thing, but it's not for me. Even with a 30 minute commute, it's bad enough that there's only so many hours in the day, in this busy day and age. In my opinion, having a long commute degrades quality of life.
I hear ya. NYC metro overall is just a pain. Keep me posted of interesting places that you find on your travels to the midwest-west US.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:38 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times
Quote:
^This. Probably the most unappealing part of PA that I can think of. Homes within feet of major roads. Also, the dominance of rowhomes in small town PA. Just a style of living that people didn't mind back in the day that is really not what people prefer now.
Psh, I love my rowhome! A rowhome was the #1 type of housing I was trying to find when I moved down to Philly. I feel like the rowhomes make the neighborhood way more of a tight-knit community, something I find hugely appealing.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Psh, I love my rowhome! A rowhome was the #1 type of housing I was trying to find when I moved down to Philly. I feel like the rowhomes make the neighborhood way more of a tight-knit community, something I find hugely appealing.
You live in Manayunk! That's why I said "small town" PA. I can see rowhomes in Manayunk being appealing to some, as its just a real nice part of the city and has been gentrified quite a bit.

Personally, and this is just my opinion, I really like having a little space in front of my house, with a porch and some grass. At least a porch or stoop or somewhere to sit- a covered entranceway. Front doors that open directly to the street or public sidewalk are not for me.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:07 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times
Quote:
You live in Manayunk! That's why I said "small town" PA. I can see rowhomes in Manayunk being appealing to some, as its just a real nice part of the city and has been gentrified quite a bit.

Personally, and this is just my opinion, I really like having a little space in front of my house, with a porch and some grass. At least a porch or stoop or somewhere to sit- a covered entranceway. Front doors that open directly to the street or public sidewalk are not for me.
haha yeah I know, I was just giving you a hard time I do sometimes wish I had a front porch, but I've got a fenced in backyard, so that serves its purpose.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:32 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
^This. Probably the most unappealing part of PA that I can think of. Homes within feet of major roads. Also, the dominance of rowhomes in small town PA. Just a style of living that people didn't mind back in the day that is really not what people prefer now. Here is where I am posting this from today, as I head back home from a few days in the Northern Tier of PA:

http://goo.gl/maps/KKMCK

No greenery, no shade (its 91* here right now), no place to hang out, nothing really inviting you in. And this is not a real cheap part of the Lehigh Valley either.
You think that is bad, here is an old coal town that has been discussed on other forums here and one I used to go by as a kid to trips Down South: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=mahan...,61.73,,0,0.07

It is a community of 4500 people, but with a population density of 9000 per square mile.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:44 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsauce711 View Post
Albany averages 60 inches of snow a year. In the past three years, the the Albany area has received 6 tornadoes, two of which were EF2 or greater (and one that was a mile wide), 2 hurricanes making landfall nearby (Irene being the worst of the two), two earthquakes (although minor), and one significant drought in 2012. And Albany is only ~4 hours away from Western New York. So those kinds of disasters do happen nearby.
Had a tornado couple miles up the road from me last night.

CNYcentral.com - Latest local news, weather and sports for Syracuse and Central New York

Old 06-18-2014, 04:15 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,458,760 times
what usually leaves first, the people or the jobs?

if 10,000 people left WNY in one year, would there be a few thousand jobs looking for people or no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York