Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 09:24 PM

7,102 posts, read 5,932,515 times

Advertisements

Howdy. I just wanted to post a quick thank you to my northern folks up in New York. I would just like to say that growing up in South Carolina and living 100% of my 42 years south of the Mason Dixon Line, I had some misconceptions about "Yankees". It didn't help that my brother lives in New Jersey and during my two visits to see him I was treated with appalling rudeness, but I have to say that after reading many many threads here in NY, and receiving help from many of ya'll on here, I have come to the conclusion that New Yorkers are really not as mean and rude as I was raised to believe.

I know that in the cities it's pretty hustle bustle and people keep to themselves a lot, but there's a whole lot more to NY than the city. I have met some amazing folks from the upstate, and western NY on here. (as well as around NYC)

So thank to ya'll for being so hospitable and gracious when us country folks as questions on your threads, you have done your state a great service to me, and I look at ya'll in a completely different light. It's hard to forget and forgive 42 years of inbred disdain for a way of life or culture (Yankees), but I can truly say that because of the forums here, and real life experiences with neighbors, clients, etc., that I have done a 180 on my views about NY. I have never traveled much in NY and I would love some locals views on some of the best places to visit.

I am big into history, plantations, architecture, battles, etc. And a sucker for a beautiful view. Where would be some great places to visit? Anywhere off the beaten tourist path?

Thank you kindly in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 11:13 PM

92,117 posts, read 122,326,409 times
Fort Ontario in Oswego comes to mind due to the military history and the beautiful sunsets there. It is next to Lake Ontario and Oswego has some nice architecture. Sackets Harbor may work for similar reasons.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:26 AM

247 posts, read 523,601 times
Generally, as a country person, once you leave the cities you will feel right at home. Rural people in Upstate are very similar in lifestyle and attitude to southern good ol' boys, just without the accent and Dixie flag. Keep in mind that a lot of southern NYS is in the Appalachians.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:13 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,798,227 times
^Pretty much this. Upstaters are generally really good people. I'm learning this more myself, having been up here a while. There's no comparison to NJ and other downstate areas. In NJ, the closer you are to the sphere of NYC influence, the ruder and nastier people tend to be. In other words, you will meet vastly different attitudes in Bergen County as you will in Salem County.

Next time you come to NJ, check out the Southern NJ counties- they are very similar to areas south of the Mason Dixon. Likewise, people in Western NY are different than people in Upstate counties like Dutchess. NYC has a huge impact on how people treat one another.

Strangest thing about Upstaters that I've been witnessing: the vast majority of people here don't like it here. Almost everyone here wants to move somewhere else. Its palpable and like nothing I've ever seen. When I was living in the Triangle area of NC, people there are full of pride in the area and no one wants to live anywhere else. I've even met a few people who think NY is the worst state in the US. I'm like, what?! Have you ever tried living in Mulletville, Mississippi or having the only work available being in a coal mine in WV? The worldview here of many is mind-boggingly narrow in a lot of cases.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:26 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,195,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post

I am big into history, plantations, architecture, battles, etc. And a sucker for a beautiful view. Where would be some great places to visit? Anywhere off the beaten tourist path?

Thank you kindly in advance!
Check out the lower Hudson Valley. Although it is in what many here would consider 'the despicable downstate region', the counties of Weschester, Putnam, Dutchess, Rockland, and Orange, there is so much history, revolutionary battlefields, historic houses from the 17th century to the 20th, and gorgeous natural areas.

Places like Van Cortland Manor, Philipsburg Manor, Sunnyside, Boscobel and many others, all set against the backdrop of the Hudson Highlands. Historic Hudson Valley: The Sites | Historic Hudson Valley

Also, the people are not as bad as many 'upstaters' would have you believe. Many up there get the same propaganda you get in the South.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hudson_Highlands.JPG

Old 06-11-2014, 12:42 PM

214 posts, read 195,976 times
Mmm, a southerner actually embracing NY and all it's quirks?? I'm glad some see that just because we live more of a faster pace of life it does not make us rude. Another vote for sight seeing the Hudson Valley. You may see some signs that say "Historic Hudson River Valley Heritage Area" (I maybe bragging a little bit) but there is PLENTY to see and do down here.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:45 PM

214 posts, read 195,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Bannerman's Castle between Dutchess, Orange, and Putnam!

The views....

/thread

Old 06-11-2014, 12:57 PM

92,117 posts, read 122,326,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
^Pretty much this. Upstaters are generally really good people. I'm learning this more myself, having been up here a while. There's no comparison to NJ and other downstate areas. In NJ, the closer you are to the sphere of NYC influence, the ruder and nastier people tend to be. In other words, you will meet vastly different attitudes in Bergen County as you will in Salem County.

Next time you come to NJ, check out the Southern NJ counties- they are very similar to areas south of the Mason Dixon. Likewise, people in Western NY are different than people in Upstate counties like Dutchess. NYC has a huge impact on how people treat one another.

Strangest thing about Upstaters that I've been witnessing: the vast majority of people here don't like it here. Almost everyone here wants to move somewhere else. Its palpable and like nothing I've ever seen. When I was living in the Triangle area of NC, people there are full of pride in the area and no one wants to live anywhere else. I've even met a few people who think NY is the worst state in the US. I'm like, what?! Have you ever tried living in Mulletville, Mississippi or having the only work available being in a coal mine in WV? The worldview here of many is mind-boggingly narrow in a lot of cases.
It's pretty sad, but true and it may say something about those individuals in terms of going to other places or not thinking about pros and cons to living anywhere. I will say that many up here do appreciate many things about Upstate NY from living other places or from check things out in various areas.

To the OP, you may like the 1000 Islands and the Finger Lakes Region. There are a lot of scenic areas throughout the state.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:29 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,798,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It's pretty sad, but true and it may say something about those individuals in terms of going to other places or not thinking about pros and cons to living anywhere. I will say that many up here do appreciate many things about Upstate NY from living other places or from check things out in various areas.

To the OP, you may like the 1000 Islands and the Finger Lakes Region. There are a lot of scenic areas throughout the state.
After I wrote that, I tried to find some reasons online as to why this is. What I found- its definitely true:

Montanans, Alaskans Say States Among Top Places to Live

What I noticed is that 12% of NYers feel that NY is the worst state in the country! Its one of only a few states that has double digit numbers of people who feel that way. By contrast:

only 1% of NH feels that way
3% of Vermont
3% of Pennsylvanians

So, there seems to be some data to back up how I'm perceiving people here. Its a shame because there really is a lot of good here.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:32 PM

7,102 posts, read 5,932,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

I'll check them out thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York