Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2017, 02:32 PM

2,171 posts, read 3,316,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Ithaca is a really beautiful micro-city.

Too bad it can't get enough of deeply sniffing its own smug butt for a day, otherwise I might like to live there.

That said, I'm glad it's doing well. It's definitely a gem in this generally rusty region of NY.
Can't say I don't agree with you. I lived then when there were thousands of blue collar workers. Once the big factories starting closing the economic and background diversity started to change. The majority of current residents seem to consider diversity almost strictly along ethnic lines. I'm not downplaying the ethnic diversity, but the city does have a single-mindedness about how things should run. I just hope putting all its economic options in one basket (education) doesn't doom the city much as other upstate cities have experienced with the changing manufacturing jobs losses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 06:02 PM

Not only is the city of Ithaca looking at some zoning changes (see entry #552 in this thread), but the Town of Ithaca (which surrounds the city) is also looking toward zoning changes (from the Ithaca Voice):

https://ithacavoice.com/2017/04/town...ning-overhaul/

Old 04-23-2017, 08:36 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Ithaca is a really beautiful micro-city.

Too bad it can't get enough of deeply sniffing its own smug butt for a day, otherwise I might like to live there.

That said, I'm glad it's doing well. It's definitely a gem in this generally rusty region of NY.
The Finger Lakes region is hardly the rusty region of NY! It's a very agricultural area with well over 100 wineries, microbreweries, cideries, distilleries, meaderies, etc. This region was never a big factory area like Ohio or Western NY out towards Buffalo.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:16 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
The Finger Lakes region is hardly the rusty region of NY! It's a very agricultural area with well over 100 wineries, microbreweries, cideries, distilleries, meaderies, etc. This region was never a big factory area like Ohio or Western NY out towards Buffalo.
Keep in mind that the finger lakes region overlaps with the southern tier to the south. I am southern-tier oriented not finger lakes oriented. East/west minded, if you will, rather than north/south. This area is very much rusty.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:54 AM

93,283 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
Not only is the city of Ithaca looking at some zoning changes (see entry #552 in this thread), but the Town of Ithaca (which surrounds the city) is also looking toward zoning changes (from the Ithaca Voice):

https://ithacavoice.com/2017/04/town...ning-overhaul/
That South Hill Village concept looks very nice and it would be great if the town of Ithaca could allow for such developments. I think it would go a long way in terms of having more housing options in the area. Hopefully, if it does go through, it will have a mix of housing options in terms of cost as well.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That South Hill Village concept looks very nice and it would be great if the town of Ithaca could allow for such developments. I think it would go a long way in terms of having more housing options in the area. Hopefully, if it does go through, it will have a mix of housing options in terms of cost as well.
I think the Town realizes growth is going to happen, and let's not let it eat up too much land. Node communities like the South Hill project would be a step in the right direction. Of course current residents decry the increase in traffic, but I don't know that there is a simple solution to that problem without spending a bunch of money.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:19 PM

Some progress reports on more housing projects.

First a small project on the North Side (from the Ithacating blog):

https://ithacating.com/2017/04/21/10...-update-42017/

Next is a much bigger project on the North Side which has apartment and single family housing for middle and lower income folks (Ithacating again):

https://ithacating.com/2017/04/23/21...-update-42017/

Finally a large project on East Hill by Cornell for graduate and professional students. This will probably have a big traffic impact on the Belle Sherman neighborhood in the city and East Ithaca area of the Town of Ithaca (from the Ithaca Voice):

https://ithacavoice.com/2017/04/mass...gets-underway/

Old 04-25-2017, 07:18 PM

Some more progress reports from Ithacating, this time in Collegetown.

New apartment building on College ave.

https://ithacating.com/2017/04/19/20...-update-42017/

New office/teaching facility on Dryden Rd. (Good video at the end):

https://ithacating.com/2017/04/17/20...-update-42017/

Old 04-25-2017, 08:18 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Keep in mind that the finger lakes region overlaps with the southern tier to the south. I am southern-tier oriented not finger lakes oriented. East/west minded, if you will, rather than north/south. This area is very much rusty.
Ithaca has never had the issues the Southern Tier has had. Cities like Elmira, Corning, etc had several MASSIVE floods that literally wiped out parts of the cities over a long period of time. Ithaca has always had the luxury of an influx of a high number of college students who aren't poor coming to the city for 8-10 months of the year. Currently, it's around 30,000. That's a huge influx in the population and they spend money around the city. Ithaca is hardly rusty. Parts of the city were rough in the 70's, but they recovered long ago. Ithaca is known around the nation for it's granola crunch ways and it's Ithaca cash.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:42 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Ithaca has never had the issues the Southern Tier has had. Cities like Elmira, Corning, etc had several MASSIVE floods that literally wiped out parts of the cities over a long period of time. Ithaca has always had the luxury of an influx of a high number of college students who aren't poor coming to the city for 8-10 months of the year. Currently, it's around 30,000. That's a huge influx in the population and they spend money around the city. Ithaca is hardly rusty. Parts of the city were rough in the 70's, but they recovered long ago. Ithaca is known around the nation for it's granola crunch ways and it's Ithaca cash.
Riiiiiiight, which is why I called it the gem in an otherwise rusty region.

Is comprehension an issue here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York