Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2017, 02:36 PM

69 posts, read 76,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think it goes beyond Costcos and housing developments. I think she was referring to the apartment buildings going up in Downtown and Collegetown, as well as some housing developments outside of the city.

There has also been hotels and company buildings that have been built or are being built.
NYSERDA Multi-Family incentives and a new "Me" generation that cannot cope with a fixer upper for starts. Second, how about a raised rail, and a through highway without stop signs? If anything Ithaca is limited in 'sprawl' and locals willing to build new Mc Mansions. My comment here is a general observation, but I do have a contingency of city planners that would be willing to work with the county and city, again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 12:59 PM

2,171 posts, read 3,301,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Proposals are great, however, I wouldn't get excited until permits are issued and construction actually begins. We know how the city government drags it's feet. And it's more apartments....whoopie....where are the single family homes? Keep waiting for them around Ithaca and sadly there's not much new construction of houses.
Oh yeah, I'm aware of the long drawn out process for approval and actually starting.

But there may be hope for the future (from the Ithaca Voice):

https://ithacavoice.com/2017/09/vote...keup-november/

I don't have any problem with all the apartment proposals for the downtown and Collegetown areas. Good way to increase the available space in the city (going up and not out).

As far as single family homes, I think the Town of Ithaca may be the best place (along with other parts of the county) to see some growth in that housing supply. I just don't know if developers are waiting to see how well the economy does in the next couple of years.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:02 PM

Heckova big update from the Ithacating blog tonight:

https://ithacating.com/2017/09/16/ne.../#comment-9833

Just when I thought things may start slowing down, they may get even bigger.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:21 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,485,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreeses View Post
NYSERDA Multi-Family incentives and a new "Me" generation that cannot cope with a fixer upper for starts.
I take some umbrage to this.

A lot of this "Me" generation is broke. A fixer upper requires a reliable job and some time apart from said job(s) to actually fix a home. Secondly, in general the previous generation failed at teaching the current generation how to do anything.

My sister and I are either side of 30. We're apparently on the older end of "Millenials" according to big own-butt-sniffing corporations and publications. "Millenials" are allegedly the "Me" generation you refer to.

We both work and collectively we just barely make it through. We do not have excessive superfluous habits; we both grew up in poverty and have learned to live with less, and find entertainment while saving a dime or two.

Fact is for a lot of people the economy is just plain old tough right now. The classic American fixer-upper approach is not fiscally viable for a vast majority of young adults.

I am aware that there are spoiled brats who are now adults, but to label an entire demographic based on them alone is short sighted. The term "Me" generation is insulting and dismissive to those of us in the age group who are not lay-abouts.

That said, NY state in particular can be a money pit nightmare for fixing old homes as well. I've known older members of my family who moved back to (or simply to) PA because of high land related costs here in NY in similar situations.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:24 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,221,794 times
I graduated from Cornell in 1981, and I can't think of any new construction in the entire City of Ithaca (including Cornell) and surrounding areas in those four years.

The Commons was half empty, the old Victorian houses near downtown looked like they hadn't been painted in 50 years, Collegetown was a slum, and there wasn't a single decent hotel other than the ugly Cornell Statler, which was demolished I believe in the 1990's.

It was pretty grim. How things have changed.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:45 PM

172 posts, read 844,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I take some umbrage to this.

A lot of this "Me" generation is broke. A fixer upper requires a reliable job and some time apart from said job(s) to actually fix a home. Secondly, in general the previous generation failed at teaching the current generation how to do anything.

My sister and I are either side of 30. We're apparently on the older end of "Millenials" according to big own-butt-sniffing corporations and publications. "Millenials" are allegedly the "Me" generation you refer to.

We both work and collectively we just barely make it through. We do not have excessive superfluous habits; we both grew up in poverty and have learned to live with less, and find entertainment while saving a dime or two.

Fact is for a lot of people the economy is just plain old tough right now. The classic American fixer-upper approach is not fiscally viable for a vast majority of young adults.

I am aware that there are spoiled brats who are now adults, but to label an entire demographic based on them alone is short sighted. The term "Me" generation is insulting and dismissive to those of us in the age group who are not lay-abouts.

That said, NY state in particular can be a money pit nightmare for fixing old homes as well. I've known older members of my family who moved back to (or simply to) PA because of high land related costs here in NY in similar situations.
Along with this, I'll add a few more lpoints as to why there's a local lack of new single-family for-sale housing.

For one, this area has been settled for over 200 years. Much of the land has been subdivided, over and over. There are few land parcels large enough for a large home subdivision, and to reassemble a parcel is a lot of time and effort. Increasingly, we're also seeing a trend to sell the development rights and conservation easements for the remaining large parcels to land trusts, which prevents development.

For two, materials and labor costs. Ithaca loves its "centrally isolated" location away from the interstates, but that makes logistics more difficult, and more expensive. Materials are harder to get and tend to be more expensive. Likewise with construction labor, which is in limited supply at the moment. It's not uncommon for larger contractors to bring in labor from Syracuse or Rochester. Those with a trade specialty can afford to charge a premium, which is great for them, but not so great for keeping construction costs down.

For three, most builders on the market in Ithaca either tend to be mom-and-pops with few assets to leverage when plating and prepping large subdivisions and lack the opportunities of scale to keep costs down, or high-end homebuilders who do 3,000+ SF models for $500k or more. I don't think there's a single homebuilder in Tompkins County who could take on anything more than a $3 million project without outside help, which makes things more complicated, and complexity scares a lot of them off. There's no Ryan Homes or Lennar to supply a high output of new homes in middle-income price ranges.

For four, this is Tompkins County, New York State. This area has enough red tape to wrap all of Santa's Christmas gifts. A combination of state and local regulations create an additional burden one doesn't see in Sunbelt states, or at least to the same degree. It was done with good intentions - safety, ecological sensitivity, fairness to local workers and unions - but it still drives up the costs, which get passed on to the consumer.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:55 PM

^ Great info vic, thanks.

Ithacating blog update dealing mostly with housing (mostly in the suburbs), and a list of the agenda for the next Ithaca City Planning Board:

https://ithacating.com/2017/09/23/ne...l-in-the-hips/

Old 09-27-2017, 01:17 PM

69 posts, read 76,068 times
Today, I got to see the Mayor, Syvante, accept a $50k check for 2017 Community WINS at the Bernie Milton Pavilion. There were cupcakes, so I had to take part ;-)

Old 09-27-2017, 06:09 PM

A more in-depth look at the initial renderings/info for a massive project on Green Street mentioned in post #691(from the Ithaca Voice):

https://ithacavoice.com/2017/09/clos...redevelopment/

Wow!

Old 09-29-2017, 06:40 PM

An article from the Ithaca Voice (with pics) of a few of the projects going on in the Ithaca area:

https://ithacavoice.com/2017/09/see-...mpkins-county/

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York