Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2014, 07:47 PM

8 posts, read 12,189 times

Advertisements

What are some good catholic areas of upstate New York? I would like to move somewhere up there one day I heard Rochester is pretty bad? Thanks for replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 07:29 AM

70 posts, read 165,248 times
Bad in a catholic sense?

Almost all major metros in Upstate are predominantly catholic. As for counties, and the percentages of people who regularly attend Catholic Mass, per the ARDA, notable counties include

Albany 28%
Broome 31.2%
Erie 38.4%
Monroe 25.6%
Niagara 24.0%
Oneida 36.9%
Onondaga 35%
Rensselear 28%
Schenectady 28.5%

Now mind you, per the definition, "Congregational adherents include all full members, their children, and others who regularly attend services." so there's a large number of Catholics who aren't necessarily included in that. I don't know if you're coming from downstate, but that compares to

Bronx 25.4%
Kings 24.9%
New York 20.3%
Queens 30.3%
Richmond 54.2%

Old 06-22-2014, 02:00 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,669,164 times
I'm sorry, but I can't help pointing out that your underlying attitude, of wanting to be surrounding by your own "kind," is exactly the kind of attitude that, in a more extreme form, leads to the civil wars in the middle-east and elsewhere. Of course it's naturally to want to be around a few like-minded people, but I can't imagine choosing a city on that basis. There are always going to be some Catholics anywhere, and the point of America is to be heterogeneous.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:36 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I'm sorry, but I can't help pointing out that your underlying attitude, of wanting to be surrounding by your own "kind," is exactly the kind of attitude that, in a more extreme form, leads to the civil wars in the middle-east and elsewhere. Of course it's naturally to want to be around a few like-minded people, but I can't imagine choosing a city on that basis. There are always going to be some Catholics anywhere, and the point of America is to be heterogeneous.
This is a free country and people can choose to live near whoever they want. To make an analogy about wanting to live in a Catholic area being comparable to war in the Middle East is just asinine.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:06 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,814,904 times
Buffalo and Erie County -- the bigger parishes are in the burbs.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:54 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Holy cow! Way to stretch and exaggerate!

The pilgrims arrived here in search of freedom to worship as they saw fit; our founding fathers even saw fit to retain this in the Bill of Rights -- 1st Amendment. No where is it mentioned that the 'point of America is to be heterogeneous. '

If an individual feels more comfortable living in a community where a portion of the population shares the same set of values (cultural, religious, racial, ethnic, financial, etc.) who are you to disparage their desire to live in such a place?

Are you anti-Catholic?

Old 06-24-2014, 09:00 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchashby16 View Post
What are some good catholic areas of upstate New York? I would like to move somewhere up there one day I heard Rochester is pretty bad? Thanks for replies!
I grew up in the suburbs of Buffalo and I can say that the area has a strongly Catholic culture. The full spectrum from largely secular "Christmas and Easter" Catholics to very devout Catholics. Liberal, conservative and everything in between.

Rochester is less Catholic than Buffalo but they are still a large % of the population. Not sure about Albany or Syracuse.

The downstate suburbs of NYC have a strong Catholic presence too. I live in Nassau County right now and it is also pretty Catholic, heavily Jewish too but equally Catholic.

Just about anywhere in NYS has a significant Catholic presence and you would feel pretty comforable there. Southern States are where Catholics are more uncommon (except places like Florida, Texas, Louisiana)

Here is a map of the percentage of Catholics by County: Map of the Catholic Church in the United States

Last edited by Port North; 06-24-2014 at 09:08 AM..

Old 06-24-2014, 01:03 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,814,904 times
From the Doiocese of Buffalo NY:
The Diocese covers 6,455 square miles (16,720 km2) throughout the eight counties of Western New York; and has a Catholic population of 690,000.

(** Note, they use the traditional 8 counties of WNY)

----------------------------------------

Population of WNY (note, Wikipedia adds 3 counties near Rochester, making WNY 11 counties) on Wikipedia says we are 2.5 million

http://religions.pewforum.org/maps - says 34% of the state.

Yes, Buffalo and the area are more RC than anything else. Take off those 3 counties toward Rochester, you get a high %

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ies-in-6-maps/

Washington Post is interesting

Last edited by BuffaloTransplant; 06-24-2014 at 01:14 PM..

Old 06-27-2014, 08:10 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchashby16 View Post
Rochester is/was only "bad" because of our previous Bishop. While he is a very kind and warm person, there were several decisions on his watch that left people scratching their heads.

The biggest example was the Cathedral. They spent a bit of money to renovate it, including installing a million dollar organ, yet kept closing and clustering schools and parishes. Many people did not like the new design.

The pope (I forget if it was Francis or Benedict) did accept his resignation rather quickly as compared to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York