Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2006, 07:11 AM

4 posts, read 16,869 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving to Vestal, Endwell, Binghamton Area.

Any views on which is the best of these three towns, and / or any others in Broome County worth considering.

Any views on.......

House Prices
Cost Of Living
Crime
School Districts
Employment (for my Wife)

........would also be appreciated.

My wife currently works in the Social Services Dept of our local Government
office.

As for the schooling, my two daughters are 16 and 7 years old.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2006, 09:24 AM

2,171 posts, read 3,316,852 times
I won't be able to help much, but here goes. Our main rival way back (40 years ago) in high school was Vestal. I always thought it was a nice area of the Triple cities. Housing costs are quite reasonable. You should be able to find a pretty nice house for under $200,000. Crime is very low. Vestal high is ranked in the top 50 in NYS, and from what I've heard the Vestal school district is quite good. Cost of living tends to be fairly low most upstate cities, but taxes can be high. I know the Broome county area has had some rough times with job losses, and declining population. I think one of the bright spots in the region has been Vestal (actually gaining folks). Hope this helps some. I don't really know much about the job market for your wife, but good luck on whatever you decide.

Old 10-28-2006, 07:29 PM

38 posts, read 233,124 times
I just left the Endicott area due to my fiancee's relocation. I'd look to Vestal first, the schools are superior, certain areas of Endicott are good as well I'm not so sure about the high school anymore, it used to be really good, my experience with the west corners elementary schools were wonderful.

Vestal would be my first choice if I moved back though, everything Ex-Ithacan said is accurate.

As for jobs for your wife, she'd probably find work in that field in Binghamton, easily commutable from anywhere in Vestal or Endicott.

as far as cost of living, anywhere you're going to find taxes a bit on the high side and heating costs are pretty rough most anywhere in Upstate NY I think.

good luck, it's a beautiful area.

Old 10-28-2006, 08:53 PM

10 posts, read 37,011 times
Just a quick word of advice the entire region had some of the worst flooding in 500 years this summer.
In some areas flooding homes quite some distance from the river.
Have an inspection done specially asking for mold and water damage. Real estate agents are as crocked here as any where.
The rains were heavy enough to flood many basements no where near a river or stream.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:50 PM

38 posts, read 233,124 times
True, just be aware of it, there a lot of elevated areas that the homes were totally unaffected. Lots of roads were closed, but like you said, it was the worst flooding in 500 years, hopefully it was an "event" that won't occur again anytime soon.

Our house was up on a hill in west corners, some of our neighbors got water in their basements (couple of inches) when the rain was at it's heaviest. We had a sump pump so ours stayed dry and there was no standing water at all it was just the rain was so heavy it couldn't drain as fast as it was falling.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:27 AM

4 posts, read 23,370 times
Default endicott

I would also consider looking into Endicott (specifically the northside). Vestal is a nice area, but is significantly more expensive to live in than Endicott. You can get the same size house in Endicott as you can in Vestal for $10,000 less or more. Also, the Union-Endicott School District has some of the highest test scores in the state, and has almost no problem with violence or related issues. The Elementary schools are also outstanding in the area. Vestal is a nice option too, but is significantly more expensive. Endwell isn't a bad option, but their schools are in complete disrepair, despite good academics.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:07 AM

961 posts, read 2,503,564 times
Coach KT...I see you listed as being(at the time you registered) frrom the UK..what's bringing you to this specific area?

Old 07-24-2008, 01:59 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
What about Johnson City or Maine-Endwell? What about even the city of Binghamton or the Valleys(Susquehanna and Chenango) as far as schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York