Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2014, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,818 times

Advertisements

Are there any rural small towns in Catskills/Upstate which are ethnically diverse (I'm of Asian Indian background)? Trees/Nature are great but I wouldn't want to live an a homogenous area where I get stares. Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 12:45 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolville View Post
Are there any rural small towns in Catskills/Upstate which are ethnically diverse (I'm of Asian Indian background)? Trees/Nature are great but I wouldn't want to live an a homogenous area where I get stares. Thanks for any suggestions.
Perhaps Gang Mills just outside of Corning or Lansing outside of Ithaca. Gang Mills, NY Population and Races

Lansing, NY Population and Races

I'm not sure of communities in the Catskills, but there may be others in Upstate that may fit. New Paltz may work: New Paltz, NY Population and Races

There are also some suburbs that could work in Upstate like Menands just north of Albany or Brighton, a suburb adjacent to Rochester's SE Quarter: Menands, NY Population and Races

Brighton, NY Population and Races

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-24-2014 at 01:46 PM..

Old 07-25-2014, 08:17 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,037,963 times
Brighton is a good suggestion. You'd be fine in Ithaca and New Paltz, and you wouldn't attract stares in Red Hook either due to the presence of both Bard College and the Unification Theological Seminarty. Stick to the college towns and you should be OK.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:31 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Monticello is diverse, but it's not a desirable place to live. Ellenville, Liberty, Livingston Manor and Roscoe are less diverse. Why the Catskills?

Old 07-25-2014, 08:46 AM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Monticello is diverse, but it's not a desirable place to live. Ellenville, Liberty, Livingston Manor and Roscoe are less diverse. Why the Catskills?
Fallsburg is another one that comes to mind in the Catskills.

There are some small towns in Wayne County between Lake Ontario and the Finger Lakes that could work. Same with some towns in Orleans County as well. There's also some small towns near Fort Drum in the Watertown area. Oneonta in the Foothills of the Catskills would be fine. Plattsburgh on Lake Champlain and minutes from the Adirondacks would be fine.

I think the OP may have more options than they realize.

Old 09-20-2014, 12:00 PM

17 posts, read 18,203 times
Kingston,beacon,and new paltz are awesome

Old 09-20-2014, 07:39 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,945,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammiestarr View Post
Kingston,beacon,and new paltz are awesome
None of those places are in the Catskills.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:32 PM

222 posts, read 714,526 times
I don't think you will get any stares as most people in the Catskills value their privacy and keep to themselves. However, many of the Catskill hamlets are disproportionately white. The larger villages like Monticello and Liberty in Sullivan County have more diversity.

Sullivan County has a number of yoga ashrams in the Fallsburg area. I am not assuming that you would be interested in that, but Indian people sometimes come to the ashrams to visit so the people are accustomed to seeing Indian people. The Fallsburg area has a large Hassidic Jewish population in the summer time. The Hassidim pretty much keep to themselves though you will often see them at Home Depot and the supermarket in Monticello. Nobody is surprised to see them there.

I live about 10 miles from Fallsburg. I am curious as to what brings you to the Catskills if you don't mind sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York