Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 03:16 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Jobs are a funny thing.

My employer is hiring quite a few people this year. I don't know the number but I'd guess 50 new faces when the dust settles.

We are pretty modern with a lot of computers and crap so you gotta think some but I still say a trained monkey could do my job.

With all the unemployed around here I figgered this would be a slam dunk, boy was I wrong. Nobody wants to learn anything new. Or work hard.

Luckily a similar place had a huge layoff and we snapped them up. Upshot is the people willing to learn and hustle were unemployed for maybe three days and the terminally unemployed continue to be unemployed.
Some of it may be due to a lack of skills, as some companies may not want to pay to train, when they can get someone that is already familiar with the program. That is why training is important, whether it is at the high school level through trade programs or a community college or BOCES program for adults and recent graduates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 03:30 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Some of it may be due to a lack of skills, as some companies may not want to pay to train, when they can get someone that is already familiar with the program. That is why training is important, whether it is at the high school level through trade programs or a community college or BOCES program for adults and recent graduates.
Not in this case.

Most, and by most I mean 99.99%, of the ones that tried out failed. I'm a trainer and I can tell fairly quick if its worth training people. Most of these people better make peace with the smell of french fries cause thats what they got to look forward too.

Generally if your long term unemployed there is a reason.

And we were paying this guys like 12-15 bucks an hour to train so its not like it wasn't worth the effort.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:42 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,927 times
Quote:
I don't think so, as those are perfectly fine towns in the area with very good schools. I dare say that North Colonie is even more upscale than Clifton Park, but Colonie is pretty much fine throughout. Here is a zip in the town of Colonie for an example: 12211 Zip Code

Here is the zip for Clifton Park: 12065 Zip Code

If you add a partner with a decent job on top of the 50k in Syracuse, you can live pretty much anywhere you want to in the area. Keep in mind that the zip with the highest median household income in the area(13104) is just under 90k and it's median home price is around 221k. So, that means you make a little under that median household figure and probably still live in that zip given that half of the homes are under 221k in arguably one of the best areas of that metro.
I agree they're fine but who in their right mind would spend the median home price of $282k to live in Colonie? That's my point- its not a cheap area but really has no stand-out qualities. Its super close to a really crime-ridden part of Albany. The area around Livingston Ave which borders 12211 is probably the worst part of Albany. Only 5 homes under $200k come up.

So, I can understand how some people may arrive at the conclusion that NY is in decline. To get to areas near Colonie that are affordable, you're looking in some pretty derelict areas.

Then look at 27513 section of Raleigh with a median home price of $264k and a higher median income. Super upscale and actually a lot cheaper with taxes factored in. Look at the selection of homes in the $200k range and there's 50 homes that come up. Both areas are 15 minutes to downtown, but in my eyes at least, one offers a lot more than the other.

I'm not trying to start an argument with you, I think we'll always disagree on these points, but look at this objectively and its pretty easy to see how someone looking to relocate might hesitate.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I agree they're fine but who in their right mind would spend the median home price of $282k to live in Colonie? That's my point- its not a cheap area but really has no stand-out qualities. Its super close to a really crime-ridden part of Albany. The area around Livingston Ave which borders 12211 is probably the worst part of Albany. Only 5 homes under $200k come up.

So, I can understand how some people may arrive at the conclusion that NY is in decline. To get to areas near Colonie that are affordable, you're looking in some pretty derelict areas.

Then look at 27513 section of Raleigh with a median home price of $264k and a higher median income. Super upscale and actually a lot cheaper with taxes factored in. Look at the selection of homes in the $200k range and there's 50 homes that come up. Both areas are 15 minutes to downtown, but in my eyes at least, one offers a lot more than the other.

I'm not trying to start an argument with you, I think we'll always disagree on these points, but look at this objectively and its pretty easy to see how someone looking to relocate might hesitate.
Actually, Arbor Hill and the South End are Albany's worst areas. Loudonville is not that close to Albany. Colonie is not that close to those 2 areas of the city of Albany and can range from lower middle to upper class. It is a big and highly populated town with a range of neighborhoods. Colonie also has plenty of shopping and the airport for the metro, along with good schools.

Also, 27513 has a lower median household income than 12211: 27513 Zip Code

12211 Zip Code

13104 also has a higher median household income and an even lower median home price than 27513: 13104 Zip Code

So, there are comparable areas up here. Here are some others: 14618 Zip Code

13066 Zip Code

14032 Zip Code

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-28-2014 at 04:49 PM..

Old 07-28-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Actually, Arbor Hill and the South End are Albany's worst areas. Loudonville is not that close to Albany. Colonie is not that close to those 2 areas of the city of Albany and can range from lower middle to upper class. It is a big and highly populated town with a range of neighborhoods. Colonie also has plenty of shopping and the airport for the metro, along with good schools.

Also, 27513 has a lower median household income than 12211: 27513 Zip Code

12211 Zip Code

13104 also has a higher median household income and an even lower median home price than 27513: 13104 Zip Code

So, there are comparable areas up here. Here are some others: 14618 Zip Code

13066 Zip Code

14032 Zip Code
I thought Livingston Ave was Arbor Hill? Anyway, I don't know neighborhood delineations there but I always think of Colonie being the area around Colonie Center on Wolf Road.

When I think of Colonie and Loudonville, and Clifton Park too, I think of mostly suburbs with no real downtown in sight. Hard to count Albany because the downtown is kinda sketchy and usually empty.

13104 is pretty much the best zip code in the Syracuse metro. When you add in those high 13104 taxes, you're well above the home prices in most of the Triangle, save for some ITB hoods.

Remember, its only comparable until you add in NY's famous taxes.

Look, the bottom line is that NY towns are fine, I like many of them, but the OP is stating that he was depressed when he went through a lot of areas Upstate and I can understand that.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:22 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,258,595 times
Quote:

So if New York is in decline, then why is the median sale price in Colonie $282K? If it were declining, wouldn't it be 182K?

Old 07-28-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
So if New York is in decline, then why is the median sale price in Colonie $282K? If it were declining, wouldn't it be 182K?
I said that to get to Colonie, you may have to drive through some derelict areas. Hence why someone might arrive at the conclusion that NY is in decline.

I don't think NYS is in decline. I do think it is stagnant in some key areas.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
I thought Livingston Ave was Arbor Hill? Anyway, I don't know neighborhood delineations there but I always think of Colonie being the area around Colonie Center on Wolf Road.

When I think of Colonie and Loudonville, and Clifton Park too, I think of mostly suburbs with no real downtown in sight. Hard to count Albany because the downtown is kinda sketchy and usually empty.

13104 is pretty much the best zip code in the Syracuse metro. When you add in those high 13104 taxes, you're well above the home prices in most of the Triangle, save for some ITB hoods.

Remember, its only comparable until you add in NY's famous taxes.

Look, the bottom line is that NY towns are fine, I like many of them, but the OP is stating that he was depressed when he went through a lot of areas Upstate and I can understand that.
Suburbs such as Scotia and Delmar are walkable communities with a Downtown area in the Albany metro. There are the smaller cities and some villages with Downtowns as well. Keep in mind that the OP was considering New Haven which probably has a higher crime rate than any city Upstate. There are also neighborhoods like Center Square in Albany and Upper Union in Schenectady that also have business districts too. If you have a more suburban focus/orientation in terms of place to live, you're going to think that any urban Downtown is sketchy.

There is also highway access to where you can avoid Arbor Hill to get from Downtown Albany to North Colonie/Loudonville/Latham/etc.

Taxes aren't that high in 13104 and will vary within the zip code. In in NC, the home prices are much higher in terms of median price and while it isn't a tit for tat, they get their property taxes in different ways and HOA's are more common in terms of paying for amenities in many residential developments. 13066, 13215, 13152, 13078 and chunks of other zips are similar to 13104 in the Syracuse area.

While the OP mentioned a few Upstate cities, there has been no response back in terms of where they went to in these cities as well. Even Raleigh has less than stellar areas of the city as well, like all American cities to some degree. Upstate cities are much smaller in terms of land size than cities in NC too. So, outer city neighborhoods there are like first and maybe even second ring suburbs here. To put this into perspective, Raleigh as a city has 3 square miles more than the city of Syracuse and every adjacent town put together in terms of land. So, that is something else people may need to think about when comparing cities.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-28-2014 at 09:49 PM..

Old 07-28-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Suburbs such as Scotia and Delmar are walkable communities with a Downtown area in the Albany metro. There are the smaller cities and some villages with Downtowns as well. Keep in mind that the OP was considering New Haven which probably has a higher crime rate than any city Upstate. There are also neighborhoods like Center Square in Albany and Upper Union in Schenectady that also have business districts too. If you have a more suburban focus/orientation in terms of place to live, you're going to think that any urban Downtown is sketchy.

There is also highway access to where you can avoid Arbor Hill to get from Downtown Albany to North Colonie/Loudonville/Latham/etc.

Taxes aren't that high in 13104 and will vary within the zip code. In in NC, the home prices are much higher in terms of median price and while it isn't a tit for tat, they get their property taxes in different ways and HOA's are more common in terms of paying for amenities in many residential developments. 13066, 13215, 13152, 13078 and chunks of other zips are similar to 13104 in the Syracuse area.

While the OP mentioned a few Upstate cities, there has been no response back in terms of where they went to in these cities as well. Even Raleigh has less than stellar areas of the city as well, like all American cities to some degree. Upstate cities are much smaller in terms of land size than cities in NC too. So, outer city neighborhoods there are like first and maybe even second ring suburbs here. To put this into perspective, Raleigh as a city has 3 square miles more than the city of Syracuse and every adjacent town put together in terms of land. So, that is something else people may need to think about when comparing cities.
Well, I'd say that some American cities are sketchy and some definitely aren't. There are differences between Detroit and Boston. Even as someone who lives in the suburbs, I feel perfectly fine walking around NYC or SF, Raleigh or Philadelphia.

As I've mentioned before, median home value means very little to me. Its a significant factor for some, that's fine, but I'd be more likely to not move somewhere because Time Warner is the cable service than to not move there because of the median home value. If 10 homes exist in 13104 at $150k vs 200 homes in 27513 at 150k, the preference for me will always be the one with abundant homes in my price range. Outliers don't affect what I'm interested in.

I doubt you looked at the median home price when you bought your home. You found the best place for your family at the best price. I'm no different.

Also, I don't understand the significance of land size for cities, if the cities are good it doesn't matter to me. I'll call the area Raleigh or I'll call it Fayetteville if I lived the same distance outside Syracuse and as long as its a nice area (which Fayetteville certainly is) that's fine by me.

If annexing wealthier suburbs is what it takes to make an area better, than perhaps Albany *should* annex Colonie or Loudonville or wherever makes sense to make the area better. I don't know but I'm not trying to argue about why certain things don't work, rather I try to recognize what seems to work and take it from there.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Well, I'd say that some American cities are sketchy and some definitely aren't. There are differences between Detroit and Boston. Even as someone who lives in the suburbs, I feel perfectly fine walking around NYC or SF, Raleigh or Philadelphia.

As I've mentioned before, median home value means very little to me. Its a significant factor for some, that's fine, but I'd be more likely to not move somewhere because Time Warner is the cable service than to not move there because of the median home value. If 10 homes exist in 13104 at $150k vs 200 homes in 27513 at 150k, the preference for me will always be the one with abundant homes in my price range. Outliers don't affect what I'm interested in.

I doubt you looked at the median home price when you bought your home. You found the best place for your family at the best price. I'm no different.

Also, I don't understand the significance of land size for cities, if the cities are good it doesn't matter to me. I'll call the area Raleigh or I'll call it Fayetteville if I lived the same distance outside Syracuse and as long as its a nice area (which Fayetteville certainly is) that's fine by me.

If annexing wealthier suburbs is what it takes to make an area better, than perhaps Albany *should* annex Colonie or Loudonville or wherever makes sense to make the area better. I don't know but I'm not trying to argue about why certain things don't work, rather I try to recognize what seems to work and take it from there.
I'm not specifically talking to you. My points are pretty simple and are in a general form. Median household income is used for a reason and by many agencies and publications. It sets a standard for which to gauge home quality and prices in an area. If it is about a price range, then you would have plenty of fine areas to choose from up here in a range of communities.

Also, land size makes a big difference when looking at stats like population, crime rate and neighborhoods. If you like an outer city neighborhood in Raleigh, you are more likely to like a neighborhood in between a first and second ring suburb up here given the land and annex law differences. That latter statement is why cities can't annex, as every municipality is incorporated versus the amount of unincorporated areas that can get annexed in other states. You'll also notice how when looking at cities, many publications look at the metro area due to the difference in annexing and (un)incorporated areas within different areas. That's why when looking it this way you can have a lower metro crime rate for the Albany and Syracuse areas versus the Raleigh area, in spite of just looking at city info and especially since people tend to go to different parts of a metro area.

Even when looking at Detroit and Boston, you are probably more likely to like Indian Village or Sherwood Forest in Detroit than Mattapan or Roxbury in Boston, Hunter's Point in SF, East NY or South Bronx in NYC or North Philly . So, that even comes down to where you live in these cities. Personally, I think Seattle, Portland, Salt Lake City, Boulder, Boise, Des Moines, Omaha, etc are more of your cup of tea. If you can walk around in Philly, you can do so in similar parts of cities up here as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-29-2014 at 05:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York