Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 09:02 AM

93,428 posts, read 124,120,588 times

Advertisements

Forbes' Opportunity Cities: 19 Places Where It May Be Easier To Make Your Mark - Forbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 04:19 PM

5,713 posts, read 4,106,092 times
Kind of a weird article. The number 2 city on the list is not even mentioned---Rochester

Old 09-24-2014, 04:53 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,329,386 times
I was thinking the same thing JWRocks. But going with the premise, that's actually one of the reasons why I've always felt like Rochester is a great city to start a business. Especially if you can hit on something somewhat big. In NYC, you would barely make a drip, but in Rochester, you could really make an impact. I think Larry Glazer is a great example how one person can make such an impact. And there's plenty of culture and things to do in the city to make life interesting for employees.

If the funding is approved for the planned Business Accelerator idea that High Tech Rochester (HTR) has, we could see some great examples of that:

High Tech Rochester seeks $5 million for downtown facility

I was at ROC360 which was a fun little tour downtown last week and Heidi Zimmer-Meyer said there could be a big announcement coming soon. I kind of felt like she was implying that the Innovation District idea that HTR has could be becoming a reality....hopefully

Old 09-24-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
I was thinking the same thing JWRocks. But going with the premise, that's actually one of the reasons why I've always felt like Rochester is a great city to start a business. Especially if you can hit on something somewhat big. In NYC, you would barely make a drip, but in Rochester, you could really make an impact. I think Larry Glazer is a great example how one person can make such an impact. And there's plenty of culture and things to do in the city to make life interesting for employees.

If the funding is approved for the planned Business Accelerator idea that High Tech Rochester (HTR) has, we could see some great examples of that:

High Tech Rochester seeks $5 million for downtown facility

I was at ROC360 which was a fun little tour downtown last week and Heidi Zimmer-Meyer said there could be a big announcement coming soon. I kind of felt like she was implying that the Innovation District idea that HTR has could be becoming a reality....hopefully
But that one thing bothers me:

We get 5 million and Buffalo gets 1 BILLION, plus they get all of the hype. We are literally the same population. That means as they receive the money, WE pay the bill.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:06 PM

466 posts, read 982,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post

We get 5 million and Buffalo gets 1 BILLION, plus they get all of the hype. We are literally the same population. That means as they receive the money, WE pay the bill.
Yet Rochester's economy and population chugs along just as good (if not slightly better) despite very little state help, relatively speaking.

Cuomo decided Buffalo is a priority and they're going to invest heavily there. Stinks for Rochester. Stinks for Syracuse. Stinks for Utica/Rome. Stinks for Binghamton. Stinks for Elmira/Corning. My guess is Buffalo has received more state help than all of those other cities combined, but that's just a guess.

Not to mention the state will eventually sink about 500 million more into a new football stadium 5-10 years down the road.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post

I 100% agree as well. I've never liked Cuomo and he frequently seems to me as though he doesn't care much about supporting Rochester. So I couldn't agree more with you.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:59 PM

466 posts, read 982,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
I 100% agree as well. I've never liked Cuomo and he frequently seems to me as though he doesn't care much about supporting Rochester. So I couldn't agree more with you.
It's not even just Rochester, though. It seems if you aren't Buffalo or Albany you're getting the short end of the stick.

Rochester has a gripe, Syracuse does, Binghamton does etc.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
It's not even just Rochester, though. It seems if you aren't Buffalo or Albany you're getting the short end of the stick.

That is definitely true as well.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:38 PM

245 posts, read 432,361 times
Quote:

I love when people assume that just because Cuomo works in Albany, the city just gets whatever it wants. Cuomo couldn't care less about Albany.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Yet Rochester's economy and population chugs along just as good (if not slightly better) despite very little state help, relatively speaking.

My guess is Buffalo has received more state help than all of those other cities combined, but that's just a guess.

Not to mention the state will eventually sink about 500 million more into a new football stadium 5-10 years down the road.
What's interesting is that Rochester puts over 20,000 fans in the seats and half of the luxury boxes. There would not even be "the Buffalo Bills" without Rochester. Sabres either, at least in the NHL.

Since state taxpayers pay for the stadiums renovations and a new stadium if that happens, It should be located somewhere near the population center of upstate. And also, as I keep hearing that they are the only NFL team that actually plays in NY, change the name to the "NY Bills" so we all can feel as though they are "our home team"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York