U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 08:32 AM

59,327 posts, read 84,112,411 times

Advertisements

Is this necessary? Will it help or hurt the region? : Over-the-Top Highway «
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 08:46 AM

308 posts, read 413,907 times
Pointless.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:33 PM

2,385 posts, read 5,194,015 times
It won't hurt the region, but it seems ridiculous. Does anyone thing that with a new Interstate 98, companies are going to flock to an area with brutal winters and a small labor pool?

Fix what needs to be fixed, and use highway money for more essential projects, like fixing the existing road, and fixing dilapidated bridges.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:01 PM

59,327 posts, read 84,112,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
It won't hurt the region, but it seems ridiculous. Does anyone thing that with a new Interstate 98, companies are going to flock to an area with brutal winters and a small labor pool?

Fix what needs to be fixed, and use highway money for more essential projects, like fixing the existing road, and fixing dilapidated bridges.
This is essentially what the article states and it doesn't appear that traffic is an issue.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:39 PM

4,135 posts, read 9,578,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Is this necessary? Will it help or hurt the region? : Over-the-Top Highway «
This is precisely why we drive Rt. 5 or 20 east and west in the state. This a waste of money and kills towns. I'd rather go thru a town and give a local my business than the Thruway and their contracts the money. Plus, its nicer to look at.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:44 AM

8,571 posts, read 10,019,410 times
Seems like a waste of money, they would be better off to add lanes to the Thruway or better yet get rid of the tolls. That would do far more to spur business...

Elections must be coming up soon..

Old 01-30-2015, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,390 times
Yes business will flock here because land is cheap, the Startup NY tax incentive for employees of those companies is no state taxes for ten years and people are mobile, Detroit, Boston, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, NYC, Buffalo, Albany, Rochester, Binghamton, Philadelphia, PA, and Baltimore are all wishin an 8 hour drive. They will move to where good jobs are located. Ogensburg, NY is the closest deep water port to Europe!

Old 01-31-2015, 09:28 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,463,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
This is precisely why we drive Rt. 5 or 20 east and west in the state. This a waste of money and kills towns. I'd rather go thru a town and give a local my business than the Thruway and their contracts the money. Plus, its nicer to look at.
I've always heard that before we had the thruway, rt. 20 was "thruway". In fact, some of the interchanges still exist as in Alexander.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:30 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,463,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I've always heard that before we had the thruway, rt. 20 was "thruway". In fact, some of the interchanges still exist as in Alexander.
Sorry. And rt. 19 between Leroy and Pavilion.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:47 AM

7,841 posts, read 7,546,745 times
New York does not need another interstate in the middle of nowhere!!!!

I live near I-86 (old Route 17) , which is a totally pointless road that brings absolutely no "economic development" to the Southern Tier that could not have been had simply by expanding 17 to four lanes. The only place from the PA state line to Binghamton where traffic really got bottled up was in Corning because of heavy local traffic. A by-pass to get thru traffic around that would have been a much better choice. Most of the time on I-86, there's no traffic ... maybe 3-5 cars within a mile going in the same direction.

Even worse than I-86 is I-88. That is, indeed, a highway that's killed towns. All cars do is speed between Binghamton or Oneonta and Albany, since there's no need to stop on such a short shot. A lot of that highway runs along the hilltops above the Schoharie and Delaware valleys, which make it extremely dangerous to drive in the winter as it's prone to freezing rain.

Finally, I find the idea of creating a high speed, limited access highway through the Adirondak Preserve repugnant. I also think that it may very well violate the state constitution's provisions for protecting the Adirondaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or