U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 02:41 PM

198 posts, read 702,385 times

Advertisements

We called every apartment complex we saw listed for new hartford, waiting on Oxford towne. Coming next week to see Lewiston properties in Clinton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 04:37 PM

59,342 posts, read 84,129,768 times
Would you consider NY Mills, perhaps? I only ask because it may have some apartments and the schools are solid. It's school district is essentially the village of NY Mills and the southern half of the village of Yorkville.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:31 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,611,123 times
I don't know about apartments but I'm headed to NH tomorrow and can look at anything if need be.

Also possibly Clinton but that's alittle out of the way.

New York Mills adds a good bit to an already long drive.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:46 PM

I thought about that with NY Mills.

OP, would you consider Oneonta or would it be too small?

Old 09-15-2014, 11:33 PM

Oneonta is too small... I am pretty set on new hartford and Clinton. We got 3 appoitmdnts scheduled for Friday. 2 in Clinton SD. 1 in NH. We want the NH based on description and price and washed dryer stuff.

How quickly do apartments usually go there? Could someone take it by Friday.

I am scared of the move. The winter. The gloomy weather.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:37 PM

If DH doesn't secure a place on Friday he will stay until Monday and just accept whatever is available.

Clintonview road- any information on this section of new hartford? Is any path of NH sketchy? My understanding is that Clinton and NH are all nice minus a slightly sketchy section of NH that borders utica. Utica and Rome can be sketchy . Is this accurate?

How is the Russian / Eastern European presence up there? I know that it is not particularly diverse there go begin with but are immigrants "looked down" on or is everyone pretty warm and nice?

I have noticed that whdn I call places everyone speaks slowly and doesn't mind conversing , is more kind than down state where you are rushed

Old 09-16-2014, 03:35 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,611,123 times
Clintonview Rd is a semi-rural type area. Very nice. Everything would be a close drive. Not really walking distance to anything. Crime is gonna be zero.

Utica and Rome have bad areas no doubt about that. Not really any murders to speak of. They are dumpy though.

The part of NH that borders Utica isn't the best but its not horrible either. Prolly best to avoid it if your worried but for a good deal I'd roll the dice. I would have to see the place before I signed anything.

Eastern European presence is fairly high. But most of us are second and third generation and are Americans through and through and have none of the old world hatreds. The older generations generally hated Russians. Utica itself has a very noticeable Bosnian population. I do not know how they feel about Russians. I would guess this to be a non-issue but if its something you feel maybe a concern its worth checking on.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:50 AM

NY Mills and Yorkville are known for their high Polish percentages and like Sean mentioned, Utica has a Bosnian community. Yorkville is split between the NY Mills and Whitesboro school districts.

New Hartford, by way of its Jewish presence, may/does have some Russians. I believe South Utica has some Jews as well. New Hartford has a notable Asian population, along with a couple/few Black and Hispanic students in its schools in terms of percentage.

Italians are the big ethnic group in the area and there are Black, Hispanic and Asian communities in Utica. Rome also has a notable presence of each of those groups as well.

Whitesboro is the biggest suburban school district in land size and student enrollment.

Clinton is home to Hamilton College and due to the ABC(A Better Chance) program that brings minority(primarily Black and Hispanic/Latino) males from major cities to its public schools, you will see people if different backgrounds there as well.

You may see a sprinkle of minority groups at other area schools and you'll notice this by seeing things like the sports teams at these schools, as they may have a Black and/or Hispanic player or two. Some are more consistent than others in that regard. So, I honestly wouldn't worry too much and I think you can find a place and community that you can feel comfortable in.

Utica may get a few to no more than 6-8 murders in a year and Rome may have 1 in year, with more than that being very very rare. It is actually one of the safest metros in the country.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-16-2014 at 10:07 AM..

Old 09-16-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
NY Mills and Yorkville are known for their high Polish percentages and like Sean mentioned, Utica has a Bosnian community. Yorkville is split between the NY Mills and Whitesboro school districts.

New Hartford, by way of its Jewish presence, may/does have some Russians. I believe South Utica has some Jews as well. New Hartford has a notable Asian population, along with a couple/few Black and Hispanic students in its schools in terms of percentage.

Italians are the big ethnic group in the area and there are Black, Hispanic and Asian communities in Utica. Rome also has a notable presence of each of those groups as well.

Whitesboro is the biggest suburban school district in land size and student enrollment.

Clinton is home to Hamilton College and due to the ABC(A Better Chance) program that brings minority(primarily Black and Hispanic/Latino) males from major cities to its public schools, you will see people if different backgrounds there as well.

You may see a sprinkle of minority groups at other area schools and you'll notice this by seeing things like the sports teams at these schools, as they may have a Black and/or Hispanic player or two. Some are more consistent than others in that regard. So, I honestly wouldn't worry too much and I think you can find a place and community that you can feel comfortable in.

Utica may get a few to no more than 6-8 murders in a year and Rome may have 1 in year, with more than that being very very rare. It is actually one of the safest metros in the country.
Also, I don't think that there is any area of New Hartford that is bad and the areas of Utica it touches are actually fine, if not very nice, as well.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:05 PM

I don't know if you took a look at these apartments: https://utica.craigslist.org/apa/4670677411.html

https://utica.craigslist.org/apa/4669206602.html

https://utica.craigslist.org/apa/4664713953.html

https://utica.craigslist.org/apa/4662900710.html

https://utica.craigslist.org/apa/4657371856.html

https://utica.craigslist.org/apa/4630174859.html

https://utica.craigslist.org/apa/4632618016.html

https://utica.craigslist.org/apa/4564080979.html

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-16-2014 at 09:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or