Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York Residents: Who Are You Voting For 2014?
Andrew Cuomo 14 32.56%
Rob Astorino 25 58.14%
Howie Halkins 4 9.30%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 06:38 PM

5,695 posts, read 4,090,496 times

Advertisements

Another $220 million for Buffalo in addition to the billion.

Cuomo’s new book includes shoutouts to Buffalo - City & Region - The Buffalo News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 08:10 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,351,558 times
Scorpio1969:
Quote:
So what?? Thats a pretty crappy argument when you have mouths to feed, your salary has flat lined or declined or your unemployed and competing for jobs in a area with a very highly educated work force and your looking at high gas, utilities,taxes, rent/mortgage,etc.. and another state offers much lower cost of living. Yes youll make less, but theres alot less of a financial burden. I meant really... what part of this arent you understanding??
I live in Arizona, I'm living in a 2000 sq. ft. house in a neighborhood similar to Briarcliff Manor in Westchester County. My annual property tax bill is $1600 a year. Compared to Peekskill where we lived in a semi-run down neighborhood in an 1100 sq. ft. house with an annual property tax bill of $11,000 a year. We have all of the same wonderful public services, shopping, amenities and medical care that some people like to brag about in New York. In addition the weather and scenery are beautiful year round. The roads and major highways are pretty much free of litter. We don't with the exception of Phoenix (every 2 years) have to get our vehicles inspected. We don't have to pay deposits on beverage containers or separate our trash for recycling. All recycling is automated and separated at the recycling facility. Trash pick-up is one truck one driver so there's fewer public employees. We are a "right to work state". Public employees unions do not control our legislature. Other than the border towns, Phoenix, Tucson and Yuma we are not overrun with illegal immigrants, those places by the way are run by Democrats. Where I live there are no hiring sites for day laborers to hang out at, nor are there any at the home improvement stores. Businesses are required by law to only hire people who are in the country legally if caught the state will shut them down, the proprietors subject to arrest. We also do not need permission from government or jump through all kinds of hoops to own and carry handguns for any lawful purpose. Our living expenses including health insurance are about $18,000 a year less than when we were living in New York. Our health insurance policy is in fact better than what we had in New York. We are self employed with an account that is located in another state and were able to keep the same income. The property taxes along with the astronomical cost of living in New York took up two thirds of our income. Money down the toilet. Basically, we were existing. There was little else left other than food. That's just no way to live. That $18,000 a year savings sure made a difference in our lives. Don't let anyone tell you that the standard of living is lower either in PA or many other states throughout the nation that have a drastically lower cost of living. We were fortunate that we could live anywhere we wanted to, we chose Arizona and couldn't imagine living anywhere else. Do your homework and move to a place that you really want to be and you'll never regret getting out of there. I wish you the best of luck. Spring will be here soon. You'll soon be cheering "FREE AT LAST" and never look back.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:45 PM

137 posts, read 218,408 times
But.. but... but... but... you'll make less money in Arizona than you do in NY

Quote:
Don't let anyone tell you that the standard of living is lower either in PA
I know its not. I just meant that you may need to adjust or do without some things youre used to. Im aware of the variety of life NY offers.

Every relocation involves some type of adjustment. Im willing to do without some of those things for a better,easier and definitely healthier and MUCH less costly lifestyle.

BTW, homesteading and much lower cost of living, my wife has roughly estimated that our monthly output for bills will be about 20% or so of what we're paying right now.

I really dont have anything else to add here. I see NY as a lost cause. I hope Astorino wins and nothing would make me happier than seeing Cuomo get ousted.

Last edited by Scorpio1969; 10-14-2014 at 10:07 PM..

Old 10-14-2014, 09:59 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio1969 View Post
Who said they werent? Are you even bothering to read what other people are saying?

Why the mass exodus from NY,NJ, Conn and Mass? Its really not that hard to figure out.
No, it isn't. Drive to Florida and count how many Northeastern plates you see.

My two reasons were NYC housing costs and......... retirement.

Quote:
" Florida received the largest number of net migrants from the city (11,000), followed by Pennsylvania (8,000). Only 100 of the Pennsylvania migrants were to Pike County, which is in the New York metropolitan area. Georgia, Texas and North Carolina all received approximately 5,000 net migrants from the city. The top ten destinations were rounded out by Virginia, Connecticut and South Carolina."
Missing the citation.

Quote:
So what?? Thats a pretty crappy argument when you have mouths to feed, your salary has flat lined or declined or your unemployed and competing for jobs in a area with a very highly educated work force and your looking at high gas, utilities,taxes, rent/mortgage,etc.. and another state offers much lower cost of living. Yes youll make less, but theres alot less of a financial burden. I meant really... what part of this arent you understanding??
So you're making up excuses about why people should move to a state with inferior GDP, jobs, global significance, school systems, net worth, and higher rates of obesity, poverty, and smoking... Got it.

Quote:
We dont have to prove to you that people are leaving. They are. More people are leaving NY than any other state in the country.
I didn't disagree with that.

My point was, most people leaving NY are going to Florida or one of the bordering states.
A 27 year old kid moving from the Bronx to North Jersey to save $500 in rent counts as "leaving NY state." A Wall Street Banker moving from Manhattan to Greenwhich, Connecticut counts as "leaving NY state."
A 68 year old retiree moving to Florida counts as "leaving NY state."

Everyone else isn't busting down Georgia or South Carolina's doors because they hate "liberals." My dad left New York state because he retired and wanted to be in Florida for the climate. It had nothing to do with "taxes", "regulation" or all the other insignificant hot air that conservatives whine about. If people really cared about "taxes," NYC wouldn't be one of the fastest growing cities in the country.

Quote:
Im out of here in the spring and it cant come soon enough.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Scorpio1969:
I live in Arizona, I'm living in a 2000 sq. ft. house in a neighborhood similar to Briarcliff Manor in Westchester County. My annual property tax bill is $1600 a year. Compared to Peekskill where we lived in a semi-run down neighborhood in an 1100 sq. ft. house with an annual property tax bill of $11,000 a year. We have all of the same wonderful public services, shopping, amenities and medical care that some people like to brag about in New York.
Good for you. I guarantee the school systems there are garbage compared to New York.

Quote:
In addition the weather and scenery are beautiful year round. The roads and major highways are pretty much free of litter. We don't with the exception of Phoenix (every 2 years) have to get our vehicles inspected. We don't have to pay deposits on beverage containers or separate our trash for recycling. All recycling is automated and separated at the recycling facility. Trash pick-up is one truck one driver so there's fewer public employees.
Wow, we are down to $.05 deposits and $10 vehicle inspections? Reaching....

Quote:
We are a "right to work state". Public employees unions do not control our legislature.
That's why your education is poor. Teachers aren't exactly flocking to Arizona for work.

It's called right to starve.

Quote:
Other than the border towns, Phoenix, Tucson and Yuma we are not overrun with illegal immigrants, those places by the way are run by Democrats. Where I live there are no hiring sites for day laborers to hang out at, nor are there any at the home improvement stores. Businesses are required by law to only hire people who are in the country legally if caught the state will shut them down, the proprietors subject to arrest. We also do not need permission from government or jump through all kinds of hoops to own and carry handguns for any lawful purpose. Our living expenses including health insurance are about $18,000 a year less than when we were living in New York. Our health insurance policy is in fact better than what we had in New York. We are self employed with an account that is located in another state and were able to keep the same income. The property taxes along with the astronomical cost of living in New York took up two thirds of our income. Money down the toilet. Basically, we were existing. There was little else left other than food. That's just no way to live. That $18,000 a year savings sure made a difference in our lives. Don't let anyone tell you that the standard of living is lower either in PA or many other states throughout the nation that have a drastically lower cost of living. We were fortunate that we could live anywhere we wanted to, we chose Arizona and couldn't imagine living anywhere else. Do your homework and move to a place that you really want to be and you'll never regret getting out of there. I wish you the best of luck. Spring will be here soon. You'll soon be cheering "FREE AT LAST" and never look back.
New York is just the scum of the Earth...huh?

It's too bad your experience was bad here. Outside of the downstate area, New York is extremely affordable. The rest of the cities are at the national average.

Quote:
But.. but... but... but... you'll make less money in Arizona than you do in NY
You will. Don't bother working in the public sector either.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
PA also has a lower standard of living than NY, NJ, and Conn.
Quote:
So you're making up excuses about why people should move to a state with inferior GDP, jobs, global significance, school systems, net worth, and higher rates of obesity, poverty, and smoking... Got it
Just a bit arrogant. Listen to yourself. Yea, every other state is this country is inferior to NY. The state that comes up last in a variety of things that matter. NYC is the greatest place in the universe.... I heard on the radio today that rat infestation complaints are way up in the borroughs(google = rat complaints nyc). How can open land,clean air, healthier food and water, the outdoors and good old fashioned smaller town lifestyle hope fo compete with such overwhelmingly great standards of living in a filthy, diseased, overcrowded rat and roach infested **** hole.

You are also are completely incapable of reading. Im not making up excuses for anything. Im giving examples of people who may be in situations that give them NO OTHER ALTERNATIVE but to have to leave the state.

I worked for IBM for 15 years. Wanna know how many people I personally know who lost their jobs since since the 90s. How about 2008. Hundreds. Thats not a exaggeration. Hundreds. Personally. From that one company. People with families. People who took minimum wage jobs to make ends meet. People who lost their homes. People who had to move out of state because they couldnt afford to live here anymore.

Making excuses..... A bad situation can happen to anyone. At this point, Im wondering if youre actually just a troll or maybe have a reading disability because no one can possibly be this dense. My post was to just be a example of how people might not have a choice but to leave and "lowering their standards" might not be a option or the least of their worries in some situations - like facing homelessness or destitution due to catching a back break beyond their control.

Im leaving because Im on the verge of speaking Scorsese and dont want to say something that will get me banned.

Last edited by Scorpio1969; 10-14-2014 at 11:10 PM..

Old 10-14-2014, 10:45 PM

Would You Leave NY if You Could? Poll Says 41 Percent of New Yorkers Would - Around Town | West Islip, New York Patch

Gallup Poll: Cost of Living, Taxes Are Highest Factors In Prompting 41% Of NYers to Leave State - JP Updates | JP Updates

Should I stay or should I go? Gallup poll says 41% of New Yorkers want to leave state : News : CNYcentral.com

Leaving on a jet plane | New York Post

Dont see retirement listed there for reasons people want to move.. I do see high cost of living, high taxes and work though.
I guess all those people they polled are just making up "excuses".... right.

And Florida has always had a high immigration rate from NY. The large groups leaving NY arent retiring.

Last edited by Scorpio1969; 10-14-2014 at 11:03 PM..

Old 10-15-2014, 07:45 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,351,558 times
Opin_yunated:
Quote:
Good for you. I guarantee the school systems there are garbage compared to New York.
Check out the Peekskill City School system. Where they spend over $22,000 per pupil.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Just a bit arrogant. Listen to yourself. Yea, every other state is this country is inferior to NY. The state that comes up last in a variety of things that matter. NYC is the greatest place in the universe.... I heard on the radio today that rat infestation complaints are way up in the borroughs(google = rat complaints nyc). How can open land,clean air, healthier food and water, the outdoors and good old fashioned smaller town lifestyle hope fo compete with such overwhelmingly great standards of living in a filthy, diseased, overcrowded rat and roach infested **** hole.
It is a bit arrogant to present the objective metrics?

Quote:
You are also are completely incapable of reading. Im not making up excuses for anything. Im giving examples of people who may be in situations that give them NO OTHER ALTERNATIVE but to have to leave the state.

I worked for IBM for 15 years. Wanna know how many people I personally know who lost their jobs since since the 90s. How about 2008. Hundreds. Thats not a exaggeration. Hundreds. Personally. From that one company. People with families. People who took minimum wage jobs to make ends meet. People who lost their homes. People who had to move out of state because they couldnt afford to live here anymore.

Making excuses..... A bad situation can happen to anyone. At this point, Im wondering if youre actually just a troll or maybe have a reading disability because no one can possibly be this dense. My post was to just be a example of how people might not have a choice but to leave and "lowering their standards" might not be a option or the least of their worries in some situations - like facing homelessness or destitution due to catching a back break beyond their control.
Yes, a bad situation can happen to anyone. My point was, leaving New York (City, where all the complaints are), one will not find a similar level of prominence unless they relocate to the other hotspots; DC, Boston, SF, LA, Chicago... all of which have similar problems to NYC. Whether you agree with my statements or not, no smaller cities in the US offer the same opportunities as the major Metros. Everyone in those cities has similar problems. Therefore, it isn't New York State that is the problem... that's the cost of living in a desirable place. It may not be desirable to you.. but migration trends indicate people want to be in those places.

Quote:
Im leaving because Im on the verge of speaking Scorsese and dont want to say something that will get me banned.
Might be a good idea.

A high percentage of people always want to leave where they live. Those polls are useless.

Taxes do not cause people to flee. This has been proven at length. Cost of living =/= taxes. Cost of living is housing costs and household goods. You're paying a lot of property taxes mostly because of housing appreciation faster than your take home pay.

Quote:
And Florida has always had a high immigration rate from NY. The large groups leaving NY arent retiring.
Go ahead and tell me with a straight face that NYers going to Florida aren't snowbirds.

Wall Street bankers aren't exactly beating down the door to get to Florida.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Opin_yunated:

Check out the Peekskill City School system. Where they spend over $22,000 per pupil.
Oh yea, you want me to use one school district in the state to do an education comparison.

This is why your credibility is lacking.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
(City, where all the complaints are)
This is flat out false and absolute BS. NYers across the state are unhappy and relocating.

I know people spread across Orange Dutchess Ulster Sullivan Putnam Rockland and Greene counties.Theyre all unhappy with the state. In fact the ones who complain the least are city people because theyre city people,born and raised,and will never leave because theylove what the place has to offer.

(^ Some years ago my cousin came up for the holidays and decided at 10pm Xmas eve he wanted to go out and find something to do. I said to him this aint NYC where you can find a million things to do late Xmas eve. We eventually found a bar open where we could play some pool, but he couldnt understand why everything was closed.)

Last edited by Scorpio1969; 10-15-2014 at 11:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York