Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 06:43 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,945,892 times

Advertisements

I got the feeling from my time there that designer outlets aren't at the top of the list in Highland Falls. My guess is New Windsor is their most popular shopping destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 07:34 PM

390 posts, read 609,091 times
Yeah, your probably right about Woodbury Commons, but there is a Kohl's down the road from the Commons. And Kohl's just loves giving away money saving coupons!

Old 11-28-2014, 06:46 AM

12 posts, read 25,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It depends on where you are in the state, as cost of living can wildly vary. I wouldn't be surprised if NY State has the biggest range in terms of overall COL.

OP, is there a pay increase in regards to the transfer?
Probably not, or not a large one. DH is a professor, currently in a visiting position which is why we'll be relocating as the position is ending. He makes pretty good money at his current school compared with some other places we've seen. We are anticipating a possible pay cut, even, since he lucked out a bit with his current job :/ If that were the case I would probably go back to work at least part-time though. I've been thinking about it anyhow, but wanted to wait until we're settled somewhere permanently.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:02 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid501 View Post
Probably not, or not a large one. DH is a professor, currently in a visiting position which is why we'll be relocating as the position is ending. He makes pretty good money at his current school compared with some other places we've seen. We are anticipating a possible pay cut, even, since he lucked out a bit with his current job :/ If that were the case I would probably go back to work at least part-time though. I've been thinking about it anyhow, but wanted to wait until we're settled somewhere permanently.
I'd think that for something more affordable to possibly look further west and perhaps north into Ulster County. That tends to be the case within the state in terms of COL, as the further away from NYC, the more affordable. I know that New Paltz, a funky college town in Ulster County is about 30 minutes from Newburgh, but cost would have to be looked into, for an example.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm wondering if places like New Paltz, Wappingers Falls, Spackenkill, Fishkill, the Monroe-Woodbury area and Highland would work for the OP?
I can weigh in on Highland. If OP is looking for a quiet village at a crossroads, this is it. Highland is really close to Poughkeepsie, but the mid-hudson bridge stops PK city's crime and general awfulness from spilling into the hamlet. So, with Highland, you get quick access to a few malls and the metro-north train. Also, you're about 30 min from Kingston, which is a little better, and also Albany (if you really MUST go there, haha).

Unfortunately, travel is always necessary to get anything beyond the bare essentials a supermarket and Rite Aide can provide. Plus the commute on one-lane 9w to Newburgh is terrible (I used to commute to Beacon), and can be upwards of 50 minutes to the city's center. Not only that, but Highland High School is becoming just as bad as Marlboro's due to under-funding/waste- the teachers are nice enough, but there is DEFINITELY no push for students to be ambitious.

If you are looking for quality, I recommend New Paltz and area surrounding, as it has an awesome school system and a better family atmosphere (even WITH the college and hippie vibe). Wappingers/East Fishkill is also a spectacular place to raise a family, if it's in the budget. If you're looking for best value + commute times, maybe somewhere in the Middlehope area of Newburgh?

To be honest, I'm at a loss....

Old 11-30-2014, 08:35 AM

12 posts, read 25,067 times
What about Middletown? Google says the commute would be 30 minutes, and the housing prices look a bit lower than some other areas. Does anyone know if that commute time is accurate though? In my experience that isn't always a true indication of how long it will take.

If we lived outside of Newburgh it might as well be to the east since all our family is back in that direction. The shopping looks halfway decent too -- there's a Target, at least. My current location is over an hour from the nearest Target....

Old 11-30-2014, 10:30 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,418 times
Middletown would be a good option. Commute is about 40 mins from highland falls. I have coworkers that live in Middletown and all have good things to say. Worth a shot.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:09 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Would you consider a place like Goshen or an area just outside of Middletown like Pine Bush, OP?

Old 11-30-2014, 12:27 PM

715 posts, read 2,509,754 times
A lot of good options already presented in the thread, though I noticed that you said you prefer the "city." The City of Newburgh operates like NYC's sixth borough, so I wouldn't recommend that; though the Town of Newburgh is fairly pleasant and has ample retail options. Middletown (Town of Wallkill) is another decent option with plenty of nice homes outside of the City center. There is plenty of shopping, too, highlighted by the Galleria.

If you don't mind a slightly more rural locale, Goshen, Chester, Monroe, Cornwall, Washingtonville, Montgomery and Pine Bush could work. Keep in mind that NYC is just an hour down the road -- and all the shopping/food/entertainment that anyone could desire.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:12 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,945,892 times
I think the OP's first concern should be budget. What I would do is take the suggestions here, and google rents in each place. Once the more affordable towns are determined, I'd take a look at the school districts and narrow it down further. Then I would come back here to seek opinion on a shorter list of possiblities.

Regarding shopping: The Town of Newburgh actually has better shopping options than Middletown/Wallkill because aside from its own retail businesses, it also has Poughkeepsie malls 20-25 minutes away, as well as an easy hop onto the thruway to Woodbury Commons or I-84 to Wallkill, and also MetroNorth right across the bridge into NYC for fun shopping with no driving hassle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York