Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 02:11 PM

897 posts, read 2,458,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post

shibainu first said 98% of the suburbs of Syracuse are white, which is clearly wrong. All I did was try to correct his mistake.

98% of 250,000 = 5,000 non-whites
95% of 250,000 = 12,500 non-whites

That's a big difference IMO!

Telling us there are only 5,000 non-whites in suburban Syracuse is rather silly... when there are nearly 5,000 non-whites in the Town of Clay alone.....
you did not get my post. I said the total of all the towns excluding syracuse. I was not talking about 1 town.
Onondaga County .........syracuse city
total pop.... 456,777 ......... 147,306 .......
whites... 382,057............. 94,663
blacks... 46,353..............37,336

so if you subtract the difference it would be :

Onondaga County .........syracuse city.....pop outside city
total pop...456,777 ....-..... 147,306 ..=.....309,471
whites...382,057......-....... 94,663..=...287,394
blacks...46,353.........-.....37,336....=...9,017

so if you take white population it would be 287,394/309,471= 93%. I made an error because I took the african population and subtracted from the total for whites. I forgot that there is a small difference due to other race. So whites are 93% and African American is 3%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 03:33 PM

307 posts, read 1,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
The western half of the US more diverse than NYS? Not really. If by "diverse" you mean moslty hispanic for the southwest, and mostly white with a larger percentage of asians in the PNW, I guess you could call it more diverse.

Hispanic covers a large percentage of different cultures and people. Los Angeles is kind of more integrated, but NY is a bit more segregated.

But I think that NYC has more diversity then L.A though. It just depends which way you look at it.

Basically I get a clear answer..up-state new york.. not so diverse.

Need to keep looking.. lolz

Old 01-08-2008, 04:47 PM

3,515 posts, read 9,431,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
you did not get my post. I said the total of all the towns excluding syracuse. I was not talking about 1 town.
Onondaga County .........syracuse city
total pop.... 456,777 ......... 147,306 .......
whites... 382,057............. 94,663
blacks... 46,353..............37,336

so if you subtract the difference it would be :

Onondaga County .........syracuse city.....pop outside city
total pop...456,777 ....-..... 147,306 ..=.....309,471
whites...382,057......-....... 94,663..=...287,394
blacks...46,353.........-.....37,336....=...9,017

so if you take white population it would be 287,394/309,471= 93%. I made an error because I took the african population and subtracted from the total for whites. I forgot that there is a small difference due to other race. So whites are 93% and African American is 3%.
Thanks for the new info!

So roughly 93% of suburban Syracuse is white and 7% is non-white....interesting.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:14 AM

7 posts, read 26,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliy Plashik View Post
Thank you for all of the useful information. Besides New York City I have been to

Newsburgh, Which is around I-84 by the Hudson River. I really liked the "Medium/small town feel.

Traffic is bad though, even for a smaller city like that.

I don't think you'd want to be there. There is not much for college students, and the crime is off the charts. Newburgh is the most violent city in new york state. I'd stay away from there. I'm from Newburgh and I couldn't wait to get out. Albany, Rochester, or Buffalo would be your choices for big city college scene with lot's of snow... Albany gets the least... buffalo and rochester get plenty.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:20 AM

7 posts, read 26,934 times
And I know you're looking for diversity... which is not hard to find if you're going to be going to college. You can find diversity on many campuses throughout new york... I wouldn't worry so much about diversity in the city you choose, you'll get plenty around campus!

Old 05-27-2008, 07:27 PM

451 posts, read 695,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Just a plain fact...Rochester is the most ethnically diverse city upstate. All of the upstate metros are "whiter" than Average; but Rochester has the most diverse central city in the region.

Ever been to Utica buddy?

Old 05-27-2008, 07:31 PM

451 posts, read 695,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliy Plashik View Post
But I think that NYC has more diversity then L.A though. It just depends which way you look at it.

Basically I get a clear answer..up-state new york.. not so diverse.

Need to keep looking.. lolz
Your statements couldn't be any further from the truth.

I still don't understand why people equate upstate NY with no diversity. Unreal.

1) LA has a bigger foreign born population than NYC, but thats what happens when you live that close to Mexico (NYC doesn't have a Mexico near it). Although LA is a minority-majority city, theres one group that dominates, whereas in NYC there isn't one group that dominates. Its EVERYTHING.

2) Upstate NY cities are just as diverse as anywhere else, with worse crime rates than NYC. I went to HS in Utica, 30+ languages spoken in the school. C'mon buddy,Moderator cut: inappropriate

Upstate New York is still New York. You have to realize that there is alot of influence from NYC that goes upstate. I just can't grasp how some people think this can't and doesn't happen.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 05-27-2008 at 09:10 PM..

Old 10-23-2008, 07:14 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,761,617 times
You didn't know any Jews in Syracuse? lol - must not have looked too hard. There's the Jewish Home, The Jewish Community Center, Hebrew Day School, several synagogues... not to mention the Jamesville-Dewitt and Fayetteville-Manlius areas. Every year at Hannukah, the village of Manlius puts up a 15 foot menorah in front of the village offices and library and hang lighted Stars of David from the light posts, intermittently with candles or wreaths.

Not to mention that ever since I can remember, even down to 1st grade, I can remember having Rosh Hashannah and Yom Kippur off from school.

And what does "white" mean anyway? I have Lebanese, Muslim-African (but white), Jewish Russian, and your "regular Jew" friends <--- geez, I can't believe I had to clarify to THAT point. ugh.> All white - or white enough, I suppose, to list themselves as such. Because they're "white", are they not "diverse" enough for you? Do the tens of thousands of refugees and immigrants who make their homes - and find themselves WELCOME - in the Syracuse area not count as "diverse?" Most of them ARE WHITE, after all.

This is ridiculous. LOL

Old 10-23-2008, 11:34 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,596,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS085 View Post
Ever been to Utica buddy?

Utica?!?! are you kidding me? If by diverse you mean every different type of Italian...then I guess you could consider Utica diverse. haha

Old 10-23-2008, 03:38 PM

93,451 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Default So true.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
You didn't know any Jews in Syracuse? lol - must not have looked too hard. There's the Jewish Home, The Jewish Community Center, Hebrew Day School, several synagogues... not to mention the Jamesville-Dewitt and Fayetteville-Manlius areas. Every year at Hannukah, the village of Manlius puts up a 15 foot menorah in front of the village offices and library and hang lighted Stars of David from the light posts, intermittently with candles or wreaths.

Not to mention that ever since I can remember, even down to 1st grade, I can remember having Rosh Hashannah and Yom Kippur off from school.

And what does "white" mean anyway? I have Lebanese, Muslim-African (but white), Jewish Russian, and your "regular Jew" friends <--- geez, I can't believe I had to clarify to THAT point. ugh.> All white - or white enough, I suppose, to list themselves as such. Because they're "white", are they not "diverse" enough for you? Do the tens of thousands of refugees and immigrants who make their homes - and find themselves WELCOME - in the Syracuse area not count as "diverse?" Most of them ARE WHITE, after all.

This is ridiculous. LOL
You can still include the east side of Syracuse by Nottingham HS and LeMoyne College too. There is a small synogogue in Liverpool too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York