Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-23-2008, 03:43 PM
 
93,401 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Reputation: 18273

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Utica?!?! are you kidding me? If by diverse you mean every different type of Italian...then I guess you could consider Utica diverse. haha
To be fair, Utica is a pretty diverse city with 10% of thepopulation there being Bosnian refugees. There is a decent and diverse Black population that makes up about 15% of the city population. A decent Hispanic population, mainly Puerto Rican, that is visible East of Downtown and that makes up about 6-7% of the population. Then, you have the noticable Vietnamese population there too and Asians make up about 3-4% of the population. You also have many other ethnic groups represented there as well like Lebanese, Polish, etc.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-23-2008, 03:45 PM
 
93,401 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Reputation: 18273
Default Not surprised.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Thanks for the new info!

So roughly 93% of suburban Syracuse is white and 7% is non-white....interesting.
Except for pockets in Clay, Salina, DeWitt, Onondaga and maybe Cicero, the Fayetteville-Manlius and B'ville areas, I'm not that surprised. Some more than others, but it's all relative too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2008, 04:57 PM
 
2,440 posts, read 5,760,775 times
Reputation: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You can still include the east side of Syracuse by Nottingham HS and LeMoyne College too. There is a small synogogue in Liverpool too.
Absolutely! My husband and I lived in a small apartment above Coleman's Florist on East Genesee for 3 years, right across from the Jewish Home and walking distance to TWO synagogues (although, I'm Roman Catholic - lol.) We were technically in Dewitt but the Syracuse city limits were about 10 feet to the west of our driveway... I consider all of that the Dewitt area though, right to about Brookford Rd/Seeley, with Lemoyne as the cutoff. And indeed, the zip codes 13214 and 13224 are used by Dewitt and Syracuse interchangeably. I love that area but the taxes and prices in Orvilton were just a bit too high for what we could afford.

And of course, the Syracuse University neighborhoods (Westcott, Meadowbrook, Bradford, etc.) are about as eclectic and accepting of just about any culture/lifestyle as you can get ANYWHERE. We love going to their street fairs in the summer.

I had no idea there was a synagogue in Liverpool... whereabouts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2008, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Cicero, NY
623 posts, read 1,817,694 times
Reputation: 227
I dont see the correlation between the county's racial makeup and it being "racist" as one of the early posters stated. Thats total nonsense--to imply that would mean that every time a non-white moved in a mob of angry redneck syracusians would make their life hell until they retreated back to where the came from--total crap

I know for a fact that the utopian southwest cities (Las Vegas in particular) has more hate crimes than Syracuse does
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2008, 06:05 PM
 
93,401 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Reputation: 18273
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrice View Post
I dont see the correlation between the county's racial makeup and it being "racist" as one of the early posters stated. Thats total nonsense--to imply that would mean that every time a non-white moved in a mob of angry redneck syracusians would make their life hell until they retreated back to where the came from--total crap

I know for a fact that the utopian southwest cities (Las Vegas in particular) has more hate crimes than Syracuse does
Very good points. People seem to misconstrue things like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2008, 06:07 PM
 
93,401 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Reputation: 18273
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Absolutely! My husband and I lived in a small apartment above Coleman's Florist on East Genesee for 3 years, right across from the Jewish Home and walking distance to TWO synagogues (although, I'm Roman Catholic - lol.) We were technically in Dewitt but the Syracuse city limits were about 10 feet to the west of our driveway... I consider all of that the Dewitt area though, right to about Brookford Rd/Seeley, with Lemoyne as the cutoff. And indeed, the zip codes 13214 and 13224 are used by Dewitt and Syracuse interchangeably. I love that area but the taxes and prices in Orvilton were just a bit too high for what we could afford.

And of course, the Syracuse University neighborhoods (Westcott, Meadowbrook, Bradford, etc.) are about as eclectic and accepting of just about any culture/lifestyle as you can get ANYWHERE. We love going to their street fairs in the summer.

I had no idea there was a synagogue in Liverpool... whereabouts?
Here you go:Congregation Ner Tamid

I'm not sure if they would consider it such, but it seems to be a focal point for the Jewish community in that area. Here's a map with synagogues in the area:http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...=UTF8&t=h&z=12

I forgot about the one on 7th North as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2008, 08:50 AM
 
2,440 posts, read 5,760,775 times
Reputation: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Here you go:Congregation Ner Tamid

I'm not sure if they would consider it such, but it seems to be a focal point for the Jewish community in that area. Here's a map with synagogues in the area:synagogue, liverpool, ny - Google Maps

I forgot about the one on 7th North as well.
Oh wow - that's great there are so many. If I use the 9000 Jewish people in CNY (btw, that number seems far too low - lol), that means that there's a synagogue for every 1000 people. That's a better ratio than we Catholics - lol - besides the very smallest parishes (well over 1000 parishioners), a lot of our parishes have 10,000+ HOUSEHOLDS per Church.

But I've heard that I'm just another racist Syracusan... what do I know? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2008, 02:35 PM
 
93,401 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Reputation: 18273
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Oh wow - that's great there are so many. If I use the 9000 Jewish people in CNY (btw, that number seems far too low - lol), that means that there's a synagogue for every 1000 people. That's a better ratio than we Catholics - lol - besides the very smallest parishes (well over 1000 parishioners), a lot of our parishes have 10,000+ HOUSEHOLDS per Church.

But I've heard that I'm just another racist Syracusan... what do I know? LOL
Huh? Racist? Where did that come from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2008, 02:41 PM
 
2,440 posts, read 5,760,775 times
Reputation: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Huh? Racist? Where did that come from?
LOL - from all the posts/threads about how racist upstate NYers are. ugh.

I said that tongue in cheek. :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2008, 04:27 AM
 
5,719 posts, read 6,449,725 times
Reputation: 3647
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Oh wow - that's great there are so many. If I use the 9000 Jewish people in CNY (btw, that number seems far too low - lol), that means that there's a synagogue for every 1000 people. That's a better ratio than we Catholics - lol - besides the very smallest parishes (well over 1000 parishioners), a lot of our parishes have 10,000+ HOUSEHOLDS per Church.

But I've heard that I'm just another racist Syracusan... what do I know? LOL
Jews are known to be much much more observant than Catholics, so I can see why a big number of temples would be needed for a smaller population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top