Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2014, 04:17 PM

6 posts, read 12,232 times

Advertisements

I live in the Bronx but it is time to leave. My Husband and I want to buy a house in Orange County. We are looking at the following areas...Warwick, Greenwood Lake, Central Valley, Highland Mills, & Monroe. I wanted to know if anyone commutes from either of these places by BUS to Manhattan on a daily basis. My Husband has to make the commute. He works from 7 to 4 in midtown. Is there anything you can tell me about the commute, bus, park & ride, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,607 times
We are looking to buy a home in OC too. We live in Queens. I would also like info. School district are important to us as we have a 3 year old. We have heard good things about Warwick, Goshen and Monroe. Following your post...

Old 12-31-2014, 09:09 PM

24 posts, read 46,808 times
I heard all three are great. Some of my Coworkers live in Warwick, Greenwood lake there all give me good reviews but it depends where u live in these area for traveling time. Try looking at homes you like then type in the address and then google direction to your work address and click on the train/bus.

Like you I am looking to leave nyc/manhattan. I used to live on 174th and University ave then my big mistake was moving to manhattan which turned me off of living in NYC. So I decided it was time to move. I just started looking at homes then google the address to give me the traveling spent and if there are park and rides nearby. And I would look for how far the shopping area are. Don't want to be on the street driving far for groceries. I wish you luck if you need a good agent send me an email.

Old 01-01-2015, 05:52 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,885,293 times
As long as you are willing to take the penalty with the commute, you can't go wrong with Warwick. It has a nice village, summer arts festival, decent schools and short drive to rural areas.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:40 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,248,968 times
Monroe/Central Valley have bus stops. Express buses as well. I do it everyday. 7-4 are good hours as the early buses fly and get to the port in an hour or less.

if he can sleep on the bus it isnt a big deal but it will wear on you after years and years. Plus Monroe and Central Valley are getting more and more crowded.

Also the thing to worry about with Monroe and CV is Kiryas Joel...they are looking to expand and they do nothing but lower property value.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:24 PM

Thank you for your replies. Can anyone tell me about the area in Monroe, NY, called Mountain Lodge/Glenwood? What are the negatives and positives?

Old 02-21-2015, 09:37 AM

1,343 posts, read 2,012,986 times
Stay away from Monroe, unless you want high taxes and urban sprawl at a rate never seen before due to the invasion by the savages of KJ.

Look in Warwick, only problem with warwick is that it is hard to get to in bad weather. It is not near a major highway. Stay away from Greenwood Lake, it is all drugs.

A cop I know that worked in GWL said every time he knocked on a door he heard a toilet flush.

May I suggest Chester ? Near a major highway, ( rte 17, future I-86), about halfway between major shopping ( Middletown and Harriman) and low crime.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:51 AM

12 posts, read 19,158 times
Here are the towns that have bus park-and-ride options.

Short Line Bus | Free Commuter Parking locations

Goshen is a great choice if you're looking for proximity to major highways. Quiet friendly little town. Nice little article about Goshen:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/24/re...anted=all&_r=0

Old 04-24-2015, 10:15 AM

I am seriously looking for a house in Mountain Lodge Park/Glenwood Hills. (Monroe, NY) Does anyone live there? Can you tell me anything about living there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York