Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 11:54 PM

211 posts, read 430,969 times

Advertisements

I agree with Dreamshot and Sithlord..PJ is the type of place that reeks of desolation, depression and toothless incestous meth heads! ( I lived across the river 8 miles in Milford Pa for 3 years) If proximity to NYC area is a must look somewhere between Cornwall and Stony Point along the 9W corridor. As a former Cornwall resident and worked out of Stony Point to and from NYC the commute times were usually feasible even during peak commuting times. You will spend more money in this area vs pJ but the extra $$ isn't significant compared to much higher level of quality of life you can expect in Southern Orange/ Northern Rockland area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 01:31 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Well, it seems PJ isn't a great NYC-lifestyle/pace type place but since we'd not need to commute much outside PJ daily due to fixed incomes, then maybe it'd be ok. I still like lower cost of living & if in a comfortable, safe, affordable renting place/apt -- it'd make sense because if I only to go into NYC on occasion -- it'd allow more spending money in NYC trips, rather than if you daily live in higher rent areas but... still only travel (even if a bit closer in these much higher rent areas but unfortunately way higher areas of cost of liv than PJ) to NYC occasionally.

Not sure it makes sense to you all but for me it seems logical to save daily on rent, etc. just to be able to "once in awhile" travel into NYC. I'm not daily commuting anywhere other than in my apt or maybe grocery stores, haha. Thx & I'll await more replies as this does help me decide better.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:48 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,545,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakas80 View Post
I agree with Dreamshot and Sithlord..PJ is the type of place that reeks of desolation, depression and toothless incestous meth heads! ( I lived across the river 8 miles in Milford Pa for 3 years) If proximity to NYC area is a must look somewhere between Cornwall and Stony Point along the 9W corridor. As a former Cornwall resident and worked out of Stony Point to and from NYC the commute times were usually feasible even during peak commuting times. You will spend more money in this area vs pJ but the extra $$ isn't significant compared to much higher level of quality of life you can expect in Southern Orange/ Northern Rockland area

Just wondering how did you commute to NYC from Stony Point? How long did it take at peak times?

Old 01-02-2015, 10:11 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,004,797 times
Stony point to NYC is less then an hour.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:36 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,545,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Stony point to NYC is less then an hour.
By car, bus or train?

Old 01-07-2015, 09:00 AM

By car. Trains are a bit of a drive to get too... Either to Harriman for NJ Transit, or Peekskill for Metro- North.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:30 PM

Hey all, well again took awhile to reply. But PJ is only a good pick as due to housing options that my g/f is eligible for & so it fits. I realize this causes other issues but it still allows easy, somewhat access to NYC yet affordable. Across the river in PA doesn't work due to her affordablity in living in NY state. It is hard to close the difference between budget & proximity, & not sure this will work but it still seems best option.

Ok, I respect all your feedback & let me know if anyone has better ideas but yet, affordable & remaining in NY state for purposes of her housing options financially & health status. Hey, if given a choice I'd pick Nyack, Tarrytown or even Piermont over PJ but it isn't feasible at this time. Thx.

Old 01-09-2015, 01:35 PM

You wrote " it still allows easy access to nyc". I got news for you, the commute to NYC from PJ is not easy. The trains up here do not run that frequent, and it is very time consuming, especially when there is inclement weather, which includes rain. Add to that wear and tear on your car + tolls, or if you take the bus, the cost plus sitting cramped on a bus for a couple of hours as you sit in traffic, it is no bargain.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
You wrote " it still allows easy access to nyc". I got news for you, the commute to NYC from PJ is not easy. The trains up here do not run that frequent, and it is very time consuming, especially when there is inclement weather, which includes rain. Add to that wear and tear on your car + tolls, or if you take the bus, the cost plus sitting cramped on a bus for a couple of hours as you sit in traffic, it is no bargain.
Wait, you missed point. I'd only go into NYC to see sports events, but rarely, so like 1x per every few months or maybe a band I'd like to see. Not anywhere near more than a very few times/yr. Most likely never more than even 1x/month at max. Just for going into NYC & enjoying having a few beers at games/concerts, it would make it easier/safer by train -- & never ever would think to drive into NYC - ever, unless I drive a cab, haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York