Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 5,865 times

Advertisements

HI YALL WE JUST GOT ORDERS TO MOVE TO FORT DRUM..BY THE TIME WE GET THERE WE WILL HAVE 6 MONTH OLD TRIPLETS..WE ARE OUT IN OKLAHOMA RIGHT NOW..WE DONT WANNA STAY ON THE STREETS CAN ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT FORT DRUM WHERE TO LOOK FOR GOOD HOUSING AND STUFF LIKE THAT WE DONT WANNA LEAVE OUR PETS BEHIND EITHER..COULD SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME..THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 09:29 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,270,334 times
You've got to call a realtor there to find out what you options are. Ther've been at least a half dozen people in your same situation on here. Housing is extremely tight in the Watertown area.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:09 PM

16 posts, read 171,367 times
fort drum's got to have some kind of family support center -- we're air force, and that's what they call it. can your apply for base housing?

Old 09-24-2007, 12:19 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,270,334 times
Hey, I found this posted by espri07. (Search for her posts) She has a 4 BR house for sale in Watertown for $139,900. I'd check w her asap as I'm sure they'll be a line at her door.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:30 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
there were several posts on this forum similar to you situation with offers to help. Try a search on Ft. Drum.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:28 PM

2 posts, read 22,343 times
Hi, check out the board of realtors website Jefferson-Lewis Board of REALTORS to find homes for sale. ALso, check out Automated Housing Referral Network (AHRN.com) v4.4 to find rentals. This website is sponsered by DOD.

Good luck!!!

Old 10-08-2007, 08:23 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,790 posts, read 4,155,161 times
The typical GI being transferred to Ft Drum is probably an E3-E5, and needs to rent, not buy. Probably can't afford down payment or buying, even if they would like to.
So some of the replies so far, like "So-and-so has a house for sale in Watertown for $139,000," or "I'm a licensed real estate salesperson, email me" are probably not helpful.
The majority of GI's need rentals, not home buying. I know. Been there, done that (12 yrs Army and Air Force, moving on average every 1 1/2 yrs).
From what I know, Ft Drum/Watertown is possibly the toughest place for Army personnel to find housing right now. The DOD and Army need to get their s*** together and get a bunch of housing built soon, since they seem bound and determined to increase the personnel there so rapidly. It's not fair to send young GI's up there and have them having to rent marginal, expensive places, many miles from post, which it sounds like is what's happening to many.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:08 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
It's not fair to send young GI's up there and have them having to rent marginal, expensive places, many miles from post, which it sounds like is what's happening to many. [/quote]

I agree with Mrkool. The 10th Mountain is one of the most deployed units in the Army (son deployed 3 times from Drum) and it is a disgrace that so many military families at Ft. Drum are without housing. I'm surprised no one has taken this up with Hillary Clinton.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:08 AM

133 posts, read 498,382 times
I agree it's a shame and realize when you go to vote next year that Mrs. Clinton doesn't care about military families at Ft Drum or anywhere else for that matter. I am moving back to Watertown in November with my wife. We are from there so we are fortunate enough to have contacts we are moving into a relatives home for $850/month which is a steal. I'm not used to paying for rent having been military all my life. Best bet is to put your name on the housing list as soon as you get orders, then look into renting in one of the smaller towns near post instead Watertown. Recommend Philadelphia, Calicium, Evans Mills, or Carthage. Truly best of luck with this assignment and God bless!

Old 01-09-2008, 07:59 AM

135 posts, read 548,327 times
Not sure what the aside about Senator Clinton and her supposedly not caring about military families was all about. Care to elucidate?

It seems it is the administration that bears the responsibility for the lack of preparedness and preparation for families moving to the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York