U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 06:40 PM

6 posts, read 48,983 times

Advertisements

Looking To Move To Vestal Ny,whant To Know Who Is The Area Like.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 09:30 AM

382 posts, read 1,477,482 times
It's a nice place. Very suburban though. The school district is very good and there is a good, affordable housing stock in a variety of price ranges. Vestal is part of the Binghamton area which is hilly and green in the summer. There is good highway access to the area, good medical facilities, fair air transportation and no rail. And Binghamton University if ranked in the top of public universities in the USofA.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:20 PM

how is the weather up there i live in yonkers ny i hear is very very cold is that true.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:13 AM

The winters can be cold and snowy but I wouldn't say very very cold at least not all winter - today, for example, will be 65. It's not really that much farther north than Yonkers and it's not much affected by Lake effect snow. the summers and falls can be very nice and very comfortable.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:16 PM

I Was Also Thinking About Binghamton Do You Know Were Are The Bad Parts And Good Parts Of The City.i Am Thinking That Around Bu Is Pretty Good.also Is The Shopping Good (for The Wife).i Also Keep Reading About How The City Is Old And Some What Ugly Is This True I Hope Not, Because I Should Be Moving In The Summer.i Look Forward Of Getting Out Of Yonkers.the School System Sucks.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:26 PM

32,160 posts, read 74,094,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davegut1 View Post
I Was Also Thinking About Binghamton Do You Know Were Are The Bad Parts And Good Parts Of The City.i Am Thinking That Around Bu Is Pretty Good.also Is The Shopping Good (for The Wife).i Also Keep Reading About How The City Is Old And Some What Ugly Is This True I Hope Not, Because I Should Be Moving In The Summer.i Look Forward Of Getting Out Of Yonkers.the School System Sucks.
You might want to check out my Binghamton Photo Tour .

I live an hour south of Binghamton in the 'burbs of Scranton, PA, but I enjoyed my first-ever visit to "Bingo," home of Rod Serling, creator of the Twilight Zone. Binghamton faces many, many economic struggles, but overall it seems to be headed in the right direction. Court Street, the main drag through town, is still lined with a lot of beautiful historic brick buildings; cities like Binghamton, Scranton, etc. have something that most rapidly-growing Sunbelt cities do not---historic walkable downtowns.

There are a lot of Binghamton haters on this forum (many more than there are Scranton haters surprisingly enough), but a lot of these folks get frustrated because THEY didn't find their tenure in Binghamton to be economically viable for whatever petty personal reason and then decided to blame their troubles on the city at-large.

I'd advise you to come up on Presidents' Day Weekend (assuming you get that Monday off) and spend a night or two in town to walk around and get a good "feel" for it. The Internet can only do so much.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:28 PM

32,160 posts, read 74,094,825 times
I can't really be of much further help with Binghamton, but if your search ever takes you to PA I'd be more than happy to help.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:34 PM

Nice Pics,the City Looks Very Nice,it Looks Somewhat Like Were I Live Now Yonkers Ny But Alot Cleaner.keep Up The Good Picture Taking Skills

Old 01-11-2008, 09:04 AM

Vestal is a town southwest of Binghamton. It's the first town you come to in that direction after you leave the city. Binghamton University is in Vestal not the city of Binghamton. The west and southwest sides of Binghamton are very nice still - lots of older houses in a variety of sizes and prices. Binghamton is the only city of it's size (small) in the USA that has a resident opera company. There's also minor league baseball and hockey if that grabs you. And, of course, WEGMANS! Definitely check it out in person. I meant Binghamton but check out Wegmans too.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:07 AM

Forgot....the Northside of Bingo is getting kind of sketchy and parts of the first ward,too.
"Go west young man". (to the west side)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York