Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 11:35 AM

78 posts, read 437,093 times

Advertisements

We are sold on moving to Ithaca, but it's very important to us that I stay at home with our children for another two years. We wonder if we can afford a detached home on the outskirts of Ithaca (rental) on $35,000 a year. Also, does anyone have any recommendations/opinions on Ithaca's daycares?

Another concern is that during the winter, when it snows a lot, are there any activities to attend? I have noticed there is a lot to do during the summer months but can't find much regarding the winter.

Is there a particular area that is best for young children to live on the outskirts of Ithaca? I would love an area that has a lot of children so that my children could make friends from the beginning. We will not have family in the area. Is Ithaca the type of place that is easy to make friends? We have lived in VA for two years and find this area to be very cliquey...sorry if my spelling is wrong.

I would appreciate any ideas on these questions that someone could give.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 02:53 PM

3 posts, read 20,804 times
Thumbs up Ithaca

Yes you definitely can afford to live. I am a real estate broker and familiar with area. House prices run the gamut from $30,000 to the sky is the limit. Cornell is currently doing major construction on a daycare center on campus. There is also a subsidized daycare center downtown Ithaca. Land is also pretty inexpensive. Some people buy land and put up modulars. There are different festivals here throughout the year, light in winter, chili cookoff etc. We have hands on museums for children. Fun place

Old 01-29-2008, 08:25 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,807,419 times
It's fantastic place for kids no matter what time of year. You won't be able to move into Ithaca with that money but there are many little towns outside of it where you should find something. It is relatively easy to make friends in the area, and all the little towns have plenty of families with kids. Daycare is another story. There are a lot of good ones around but there are a lot crappy ones too... proceed with caution. Be prepared to be on a waiting list for the good ones.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:02 PM

Thanks for the advice. Do you know any good school systems on the outskirts of Ithaca? I've heard that only Ithaca's schools are good. Any truth to that?

Old 02-25-2008, 10:15 AM

473 posts, read 2,754,500 times
lol no thats not true..we live in newfield, and the newfield school system is EXCELLENT.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:01 AM

6 posts, read 27,720 times
Default Ithaca is not inexpensive

My husband and I have lived in or near Ithaca for twelve years now and find housing in the city very expensive for our meager income of $45K. We have always looked for homes in the city but get priced out.

We bought south of Ithaca, in Tioga County, and I wouldn't recommend that. Owego schools are good but the rest are not so great...Ithaca schools are very good and if you are willing to buy a fixer upper with no yard right downtown you could probably get by. Ithaca Neighborhood Housing Services rehabs historic houses in the city and you could qualify for something nice if you like to be right in the hub of things.

I understand daycare is expensive there, too, although we have never sent our kids there I have called around a few times in the past.

Lansing schools are very good, but it's a pricey suburb. I think Dryden is also good but you're then at least a 10 to 15 minute drive from downtown Ithaca.

I LOVE Ithaca, and I'm a Binghamton native so I've been going for decades. It's changed a lot over the past ten years, it's become very yuppified and overpriced. It's a shame...you used to really get a good, interesting scene at the bars at night with every shade of person you can imagine. But I would still recommend living there--many beautiful gorges and parks right in the city, there is a lot to do with kids even year round (museums, festivals, restaurants, etc)

Sorry for the long post but we've been in such a similar situation--two kids, self employed, we each trade off staying at home with them, not much of an income, etc.

Good luck! It is a family friendly place (and just overall friendly)

Old 04-02-2008, 12:07 PM

Thanks for this info. This is one of the most informative replies that I have received. And also reassuring.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:25 PM

79 posts, read 342,285 times
I just posted to your Saratoga post moments ago and then saw this one.

I agree that Ithaca is not clicky (sp?) Lansing is GREAT. Lots for the kids to do all year round in this area. Start your kids skiing or playing hockey. We started our kids at 4 yo and ski at Greek Peak when we come to Ithaca.

If you embrace the winters there is a lot do to. Just don't sit inside.

Day care side note: My sister in law used a woman for daycare and loved her. She took them swimming once a week and did tons of activies. It is home based. My other sister in law was actual this lady's nanny when her kids were young and she and her husband were starting a business. If you contact me I could give you her name. She is superb!

Good Luck!!

Old 04-03-2008, 08:02 AM

70 posts, read 251,642 times
Aren't taxes high in Ithaca? Does this make things hard on a limited income for people?

Old 04-04-2008, 09:43 AM

5 posts, read 23,776 times
Default Ithaca

Have you ever looked into Oswego? I grew up in Saratoga Springs and loved everything the area had to offer as far as history and stuff to do. I have found that Oswego is a smaller, less wealthy version of Saratoga. Oswego is 40 min North of Syracuse right on Lake Ontario. There is so much to do outdoors. We do get harsh winters, but nothing too much different than the rest of central New York, besides a couple harsh weekends. Oswego has a State University right in town. You husband may be able to find a job there. If not he could always commute the 40 min to Syracuse where there are a bunch of colleges. Oswego is an amazing place to raise a family. In the winter months there is a winter festival that helps break the winter blues. We are a smaller community (about 25,000) but there is so much to do. Take a look at Oswego.com or DiscoverOswego.com. The average family makes around $35,000 a year. We bought a gorgeous Italiante house in downtown Oswego for $70,000. All my family from Saratoga comes and visits and says that the house would be worth $250-$300 in Saratoga. Ithaca is a great town, but it is a bit far away from everything. There is quite a bit to do as far as eating, shopping, and being outdoors, but the traffic is horrible and the town is infiltrated with a lot of college students all year round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York