Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2008, 02:16 PM

306 posts, read 1,620,124 times

Advertisements

Such as Wayland, Cohocton, Prattsburgh, Canisteo, Avoca.

Impressions? Opinions?

Especially in terms of a quaint/stately/peaceful old town with an old housing stock in good shape, good schools--a town that would be good to raise a young family in.

Given the handsome homes I see listed for relatively low prices in several towns throughout Steuben County, I gotta ask: Is Steuben County in general a great bargain, or stuck in economic gloom? Hammondsport, of course, is a gem--but is the rest of the county in decline?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 10:14 AM

4 posts, read 15,597 times
Well we recentely purchased a house in Cohocton and I know that other houses we looked at in Prattsgurgh, Cohocton, Wayland and other areas have all been sold. In my opinion it is starting to be an area people are looking in because of the prices. The school we saw in cohocton seemed fairly new and well kept up( I believe it is an elememtary school)
Well you asked for opinions . We haven't actually moved there yet but those were the impressions I got from our drives and talking to people

Old 08-15-2008, 11:52 AM

862 posts, read 1,050,928 times
All of upstate NY is in economic gloom.Most of rural non-tourist america is.
NY and Illinois have particular problems in that politics are run for the benifit
of their largest city.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:46 AM

10 posts, read 18,553 times
Default nice lake, nice view, nice bit of land

Unfortunately, i cant figure out how to start a thread so I'll just reply to one......sorry.
I currently live in Westchester County which is definitely beautiful but I'm seeking a town that is more relaxing and peaceful. I want a less active town but not in the middle of nowhere. I want to feel safe at home, not like in the middle of the wilderness (meaning,not having problems with undomesticated animals,i know.... i watch too much t.v.) or 10 miles from my next neighbor. I chose Stuben county b/c It seems to have the beautiful lakes nearby and water:lakes,oceans, rivers, etc. brings me a sense of peace that I just can't explain.
Who can give me some info on quietest towns,cities,or villages that is close to the water,maybe even lakefront property that isn't crazy expensive and will allow me to build a small home on the property....like1000 square feet 2bdroom house. I have a son, he's 11 so we'll need to be near or not too far a ride from junior high school and high school. I really do not know where to start. I have a degree in Accounting and I'm currently studying for CPA exam, however I have a wide array of skills and usually find work easily. I've looked at many websites and through the real estate sections. I'm looking for a much smaller home and simplier lifestyle.
Any info is greatly appreciated.
I plan on driving up there this weekend to check out some sites......don't have a real destination in mind.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: