Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2008, 12:43 PM

33 posts, read 124,564 times

Advertisements

Can anyone charaterize the interior (I-81 corridor) and east to the county line of Oswego county? Originally from Rochester now live in the Baltimore area and want to by some land or a small cabin/camp. I know I'm crazy but I want some winter back in my life - pond hockey, skiing, just being out in feet of snow. Looking for a "wilderness" type area within 15min to a town with grocery, pubs, and limited activity. River/lakes for fishing, kayaking, and areas for moutain biking would be great. Obviously Lk Ont. is close to the west for power boating or sailing.

Is the county "woodsey" -pine forests (like Maine) and hilly, or is it more "farmy" like western finger lakes region? Have considered the ADKs but getting in makes it a longer trip and it seems from the searches I've done that Oswego county is a beautiful, less expensive area, with tons of outdoor activities possible. It's also a 5-6 hour car trip from north of baltimore, which we've said is about our tolerable limit. Probably will do some exploring this summer from the north side of Oneida lake up to Sandy Creek then over to Redfield then east into ADKs. Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 05:12 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,227,212 times
You might like Booneville or Camden. They are both small villages, kind of cute, with basic amenities including downtowns and have that near Adirondack feel. There's a great sense of past history and to some degree an isolation that is refreshing amongst vast spances of uninhabited rolling hills, creeks, rivers, and generally peaceful places.

If you want something more water oriented try Pulaski which is equally nice, a tad more discovered, and closer to the lake. It's off Rt 81 for easy access and the short jaunt to the lake is really pretty. There's a state park called Selkirk, not much of a beach but the ones slightly to the north are beautiful and sandy.

Redfield is located to the east of there and is a small place on the Salmon River Reservoir which is good for small boating. This is the most isolated of the four. Lot of hunting camps in the area and people who make their living logging. There use to be an old hotel (I think?) and a restaurant/bar with decent food. Some sections within this entire area I'm describing can seem lost in time. You'd swear you were in the 1890's.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:00 AM

33 posts, read 124,564 times
Are you familiar with Orwell? I keep turning up unbelievable listings (at least for what I'm accustomed to). I imagine based what research I can do from afar that Orwell is nothing more than a place with a post office and a four-way stop sign. Does Sandy Creek have a town similiar to Pulaski?

I guess I'm just going to have to check it out.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:53 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,227,212 times
Sandy Creek is a poorer place than Pulaski, and Orwell is even more so, that's why prices are low. They are also considerably more rural. If you don't care much about amenities and won't become too depressed by the further dilapitation you could be fine with them. There use to be a home for destitute alcholics in Orwell that is now closed. It was on a country road. Not sure they even have a stop sign. It's not a destination spot for me. As many places in the area they saw their prime at least a hundred years ago, probably longer, with nothing much since then.

If your plan is just to have a second place and you can tolerate this kind of atmosphere the countryside is substantially the same as the greater surrounding areas. Personally I'd stick to those I mentioned. Reaching a place would be easiest if you get off at the Pulaski exit on Rt 81 and go east from there towards the reservoir, the Adirondacks, and through the town square in Camden. If you don't mind a bit further up you could consider Chaumont. It's along Lake Ontario and I know it has at least one decent restaurant and a tourist or two from the cottages in the summer. There is a small element of Mennonites (or similar) and the lake drives are awesome. Don't know how the Ft Drum expansion has affected prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York