Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Move Out of New York If You Could?
Yes 29 74.36%
No 10 25.64%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 12:00 PM

149 posts, read 303,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
You might want to look at Buffalo. There's been an upswing in high tech, banking/finance, and health care there recently.

Erie is a nice metro, and you're close enough to Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland to have all the "big city" you want.
Those were exactly the reasons we enjoyed Erie. Plus, I loved the lake!

Buffalo is NOT where I want to be. I grew up close(r) to that area, and honestly, it is too big a city, with too many big city problems. Also, we don't work in high tech, banking or health care... LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
As I said, everything's a trade off. Generally, places that are popular are expensive and crowded but have lots of opportunities. Places that are cheap and uncrowded tend to be that way for a reason: not a lot of opportunities.
True, but where it are it feels a bit expensive and uncrowded. Which means you find minimal opportunities AND you pay through the nose in terms of taxes/cost of living to barely scrape by. :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 12:49 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,006,169 times
Trade off ???? Look I know there's corruption everywhere but come on...Albany is a disgrace. And the indifference by the people in this state are disgusting. I look at all my friends & family that grew up in the NYC metro area, no moved,, and I mean moved out of state, and they are all happier. None of them have moved back. Tells me all I need to know

Old 03-10-2015, 10:29 AM

13 posts, read 20,627 times
Absolutely. I grew up in upstate (southern Tier) but have no plans on retiring here. Cost of living, taxes, etc are just too high. We plan on leaving once the kids are done with school, if not before. And there are little to no opportunities here. We will be heading south someday

Old 03-21-2015, 09:55 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,405,909 times
There should have been an undecided or maybe option.

I've thought of moving out of New York, mainly due to the weather. Just CANNOT stand the cold weather here in New York, and it lasts a while. I feel like that's part of the reason I'm such a homebody.

If I due end up moving out of NY one day, I'm going to either California or Florida. Huge popular states like New York, but with way better yearly weather. However, the downside of moving is having no friends to start off, and moving away from your family.

I could come to NY during the warmer months, and then move back to CA or FL during the colder months

Old 03-22-2015, 05:43 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatheringstorm View Post
I live in the Hudson Valley and, while I find it very beautiful, I think that the cost of living here is just far too high compared to the available jobs and pay rates in the area. It feels draining to me, and it feels like a lot of towns in the area are stagnant. Does anyone else feel this way too?
I have to say yes. We are born and raised here, so are our kids. My spouses company sold out. Good and bad. Good that he left before hand and could get his profit sharing. Bad, he's not found a full time job here in the Hudson Valley for almost 7 years-construction here has totally tanked. He works part time for $9.97hr at 20hrs a week. We are slowly dying. But we are here until June 2016 when our youngest graduates. My job is with a school district and as a support staff, I made only 38K last year. No one can live on these salaries around here. We needed real jobs here and there are none. I won't spend half my life in traffic driving to a Westchester or job below.

We can't wait to leave. It's heart breaking as all our friends are here we grew up with. But my family moved here in the 50's from NC/VA and I am going to join my family finally as my folks have passed. I have no siblings so nothing is holding me here at all.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:29 PM

439 posts, read 357,490 times
In the world? Yes. Québec is stunning and I love the hybrid culture (Francophone/Anglophone).

That being said, I believe New York is the best state in our nation. The proximity to urban centers and rural life is unique. In addition, despite the taxes, residents enjoy high standard of living (access to educational and career opportunities). There's also the obvious entertainment and recreational activities. Yep, it's literally the best state in America. That's not bravado, that's the truth.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:23 AM

4 posts, read 9,975 times
Overpriced, over taxed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York