Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 07:56 AM

2,818 posts, read 2,285,892 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I noticed that nobody has mentioned Albany. Conceptually, I would think it would have more going on over Troy or Schenectady (given that it is bigger)?

It is interesting how Albany/Troy look very traditionally Northeastern, Buffalo and Rochester look very Great Lakes/Mid-Western and Syracuse looks like something of a hybrid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 08:24 AM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Thanks for all the great suggestions! I noticed that nobody has mentioned Albany. Conceptually, I would think it would have more going on over Troy or Schenectady (given that it is bigger)?

It is interesting how Albany/Troy look very traditionally Northeastern, Buffalo and Rochester look very Great Lakes/Mid-Western and Syracuse looks like something of a hybrid.
It might due to you already mentioning Lark Street, in which people generally refer to the Center Square neighborhood portion of the street. Delaware Ave maybe another area that you may want to consider as well.

A lot of people say that about the cities in Upstate, but I don't think there is too much of a difference in regards to the culture/people in any of those areas.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:47 AM

The lists on this page will have some places in Upstate cities that you may be interested in too: https://www.planning.org/greatplaces/

Scroll down to view information from previous years.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:38 PM

Here's another small city Downtown with some interesting history:
http://goo.gl/maps/bkZBp

Paddock Arcade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

World Record Attempt: Longest Saftey Pin Chain - Watertown New York 2015

https://www.watertown-ny.gov/DocumentView.asp?DID=338

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-16-2015 at 05:54 PM..

Old 10-20-2017, 10:45 AM

Another small city Downtown that has seen some investment/development is Downtown Auburn: Auburn Downtown BID
https://goo.gl/maps/gP2YuBQAq9n
Auburn Luxury Apartments – Luxury Living in Auburn, New York
Logan Park Lofts | Maintenance Free Living | Auburn, NY

Old 10-21-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
An easier street view: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9308...7i13312!8i6656

Old 10-22-2017, 03:56 PM

Here’s one in Downtown Binghamton: Welcome -The Gorgeous Washington street Association

https://m.facebook.com/GorgeousWashington/

Ithaca’s Collegetown would fit as well.

Another small city Downtown: Dining, Shopping, Services - Destination Downtown Oneonta, NY
Map of Main Street, Oneonta, NY
GOHS Historic Downtown Oneonta Walking Tour | Oneonta NY
Interesting article: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/07/2...nitiative.html

Old 10-27-2017, 02:40 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,677,766 times
Quote:

Troy's downtown is really nice. Downtown Schenectady is ok, but not my favorite. The Stockade area of Schenectady definitely feels very Northeastern, like something you'd see out of Boston. Center Square in Albany feels the same sort of way.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:38 PM

5,705 posts, read 4,095,453 times
I was thinking maybe Corn Hill would be a nice walkabout. (Rochester)
Mt. Hope Cemetery is also a popular "neighborhood". UofR's Collegetown is adjacent for the entertainment.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:45 PM

387 posts, read 515,705 times
Quote:
I'm curious what the most vibrant, walkable areas are in Upstate NY? Basically, I'm looking for areas where there would be interesting architecture, good people watching and a nice mix of retail. Nightlife options are fine, but I'm more interested in places to walk on a nice Saturday afternoon.

I'm particularly interested in:
How are the big city downtowns:
Albany-
Syracuse- Armory Square
Buffalo- Main Street/Chippewa?
Rochester- East End?

How are the urban residential neighborhoods:
Albany- Lark Street/Central,others?
Syracuse- Marshall Street, others?
Rochester- Park Ave, Monroe, others?
Buffalo- Allentown/Elwood Village, others?

How are the vibrant downtowns of the smaller cities:
Downtown Ithaca-
Downtown Saratoga Springs-
Any others? Troy? Schenectady? Binghamton? Utica?

If you could only visit one or two places, which would it be?
Post is a couple years old..but here goes...I've been to all the areas mentioned over the years. If I had one choice it would be Buffalo. It's been getting a lot of State funding to boost the area. Weather is my only concern, not for everyone. Amenities include; quiet city, Pro hockey,& Football , Airport, Day trips to Canada, a lot of house for your money, beautiful summers, & a very large lake...Saratoga is also nice. Not knocking the other choices at all, they all have pluses. Just giving you my choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York