Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 07:37 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times

Advertisements

Cortland City SD extends into the woods behind Greek Peak.

I guess Syracuse could, if your "rural" environment is the ESF Experiment Station SUNY-ESF: The Adirondack Ecological Center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 08:12 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Cortland City SD extends into the woods behind Greek Peak.

I guess Syracuse could, if your "rural" environment is the ESF Experiment Station SUNY-ESF: The Adirondack Ecological Center
I did think about the part of the Valley neighborhood in Syracuse along Valley Drive from around Webster's Pond south to the cityline and the area around LaFayette Road in terms of being rural. I'm not sure if they would apply though.

I wonder about the Troy City and Lansingburgh SD's in Troy, as both districts cover areas within and outside of the city of Troy. To what extent, I'm not sure though.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:31 AM

149 posts, read 303,089 times
I guess I don't know what you're getting at, ckh....but I guess I was thinking that you wanted to know about districts where the urban/suburban/rural classifications would be identifiable. In Corning, you can't tell...because for the most part, everyone is middle class and white, whether they are from the "city" or one of the surrounding villages. The only difference would be the distance from your house to Wegman's. LOL

Old 04-16-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exploringoptions View Post
I guess I don't know what you're getting at, ckh....but I guess I was thinking that you wanted to know about districts where the urban/suburban/rural classifications would be identifiable. In Corning, you can't tell...because for the most part, everyone is middle class and white, whether they are from the "city" or one of the surrounding villages. The only difference would be the distance from your house to Wegman's. LOL
I was thinking in terms of the city's build environment/form rather than demographics that are associated with the term "urban". Outside of the city of Corning, the village of South Corning and Gang Mills are the other communities with a degree of racial diversity in that school district.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:04 PM

I believe that Watertown City is another area that has all 3.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:48 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I did think about the part of the Valley neighborhood in Syracuse along Valley Drive from around Webster's Pond south to the cityline and the area around LaFayette Road in terms of being rural. I'm not sure if they would apply though.

I wonder about the Troy City and Lansingburgh SD's in Troy, as both districts cover areas within and outside of the city of Troy. To what extent, I'm not sure though.
I think it all depends upon your definition of urban and rural. I think that Troy City and Lansingburgh extend into what I would call suburban rather than outright rural, but I'm not sure how far out the districts go out.

Jamestown Public Schools extend beyond the city line into the towns of Carroll and Kiantone, both of which are actually rural towns with just a modest bit of suburban style housing closest to Jamestown. I'm not sure how far out the JPS extends. Jamestown also has a handful of working farms within the city limits. Do those qualify as "rural" if they have cows?

OTOH, the Fredonia CSD definitely has the suburban and rural covered. I'm not sure if the village of Fredonia can be considered urban, though, although some of its neighborhoods do have an urban feels.

Dunkirk is like Jamestown. It has an urban and suburban aspect but I'm not sure if some of the outlying areas of the school district would be considered suburban or rural, even though some places do have farming activities.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I think it all depends upon your definition of urban and rural. I think that Troy City and Lansingburgh extend into what I would call suburban rather than outright rural, but I'm not sure how far out the districts go out.

Jamestown Public Schools extend beyond the city line into the towns of Carroll and Kiantone, both of which are actually rural towns with just a modest bit of suburban style housing closest to Jamestown. I'm not sure how far out the JPS extends. Jamestown also has a handful of working farms within the city limits. Do those qualify as "rural" if they have cows?

OTOH, the Fredonia CSD definitely has the suburban and rural covered. I'm not sure if the village of Fredonia can be considered urban, though, although some of its neighborhoods do have an urban feels.

Dunkirk is like Jamestown. It has an urban and suburban aspect but I'm not sure if some of the outlying areas of the school district would be considered suburban or rural, even though some places do have farming activities.
Good points and I suppose that it is something that up to interpretation. For instance, this is the area of Syracuse within city limits that I thought about in terms of having a rural character:
http://goo.gl/maps/b9tmV

It looks like Jamestown, Dunkirk and Fredonia would fit. Villages in many cases can look like or are essential urban. A village like Endicott comes to mind and I wouldn't be surprised if the Union-Endicott SD had all 3 environments within its boundaries.

Old 03-11-2017, 02:45 AM

I believe that Auburn is another district that has all 3 environments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York