U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 19,625 times

Advertisements

We live in NJ and are looking for a place we can actually afford to buy a house and still commute into the city. We've heard good things about Monroe in Orange County, but I was curious if anyone on here had anything to say about it. The houses look nice, but what is the community like there? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2006, 08:34 PM

302 posts, read 1,329,267 times
Thumbs up I'm in Monroe

Monroe actually is a very nice community. Schools are excellent, Woodbury Commons for outlet shopping, Museum Village and lakesif you like swimming or fishing. We have the 'cheese festival' every year as velveeta was invented here. crossroads are NY State Thruway and 17. Drawbacks are taxes and Kiryas Joel which is a very large ultra orthodox Jewish community that has continued to grow unchecked. People are generally nice and friendy.

Old 11-10-2006, 08:03 AM

4 posts, read 32,794 times
Default Monroe is OK

Monroe has one of the best public school systems in NY. The school system has outstanding facilities. Lots of good stuff in Monroe that make the quality of life better than NJ where I grew up 30 years ago. Our first home was in Monroe, we have sinced moved to Chester, next town over. Some Chester residents qualify for the Monroe Schools, my kids go to Warwick which is also great.

We moved to Orange County for the ability to own a home. I did a Quantative analysis of the factors. Maybe this works for you. I took a metro map, then put a dot on my office location, same for my wife. Then make a 25, 35, 50 mile circles. Look for the overlaps. Score each town for positives schools, taxes, parks, access to highways, recreation, anything that makes sense to your household. Also mark negatives. For us positives included easy access to Harriman State Park. Within the towns look at the price of homes, and taxes. That pushed us to Orange County.

For homes we scored houses based on number of bedrooms, baths, full basement, yard, age, sewer, for sale by owner, etc. Some homes we looked at before this "scorecard". We developed emotional unqualified easons for liking different houses. When we appied this scorecard from a math teacher friend, it made a lot of sense. We ended up buying a house that my wife wouldn't initially visit because of the color, which we changed.

After about 2 years we sold that home, and built a new house in Sugar Loaf.

Good luck!

Old 01-21-2007, 10:59 AM

4 posts, read 36,464 times
I live in monroe agree with sugarloaf. monroe is too grown,and growing, High school is maxed out going to need more schools with the growth higher taxes. I feel you can get more in surrounding towns.Do your home work,

Old 02-04-2007, 08:36 PM

24 posts, read 115,836 times
Stay away from Monroe, Chester, Blooming Grove, and connecting areas. The taxes are insane and its loaded with the Hasidic Jews which are overtaking, plus its very crowded. Hope this helps

Old 02-04-2007, 09:21 PM

287 posts, read 1,374,254 times
No..I wouldnt do it. Way to overcrowded and half the people cant drive.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:54 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,169,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reej View Post
monroe has a huge hasidic community. thats neither a positive or negative factor. it is just true.
Well, let's be honest. You're property value may go up as more Jews may want to buy your house. Your quality of life, if a non-Hasid, will likely go down as the areas gets overcrowded and all of the stores turn Kosher, etc. Schools will get worse as they take over the board and vote down spending...as their kids go to their own schools. They take over areas. Take a look at 5-Towns on LI. There's big issues there, and that's only Orthodox, not even Hasids.

Go into Williamsburg, Brooklyn and let me know if they want you on their turf.

I don't have any issues with them, as they don't affect me. I do business with many of them. Fine people, but it's certainly not a zero sum gain if they move to your town.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:51 PM

127 posts, read 480,186 times
There he goes again. Of course, if a town is predominently Irish Catholic and many of them send their kids to parochial schools, that, of course, is perfectly fine.

Any other religious or ethnic group predominating is clearly un-American.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:52 PM

11 posts, read 64,425 times
Default Great area

You can definitely get a lot more home for your money here. All of lower Orange County offers reasonable commutes and better pricing. In addition to Monroe there is Woodbury, Corwall, Chester, Goshen... all within commuting distance. Moderator cut: realtor soliciting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookgirl13 View Post
We live in NJ and are looking for a place we can actually afford to buy a house and still commute into the city. We've heard good things about Monroe in Orange County, but I was curious if anyone on here had anything to say about it. The houses look nice, but what is the community like there? Thanks!

Last edited by bellafinzi; 10-10-2007 at 09:24 PM..

Old 06-30-2010, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 10,141 times
From the comments above you can gauge the general level of intelligence here. No good schools, no intellectual stimulation, no sense of community, no social life, no wonder,--however, if you love the mountains come. If you are looking for camraderie or intellectual stimulation stay away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or