Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2014, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,650 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to open an event site business in the Ithaca area. We are currently looking for a property with barns, so that we can host events such as weddings and other catered events. In your opinion, is there room in the market for this in the Ithaca area? I am from Skaneateles, and it just seems to me (as a very recent bride looking for "rustic" event venues) that the market is underserved.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 07:50 PM

286 posts, read 1,119,645 times
Hmm. I got married locally but don't have any sense of the market for this kind of thing (we had no money and our wedding was a lesson in calling in every favor that two just-out-of-college-kids have coming to them). The main thing I'd think about is how your venue would stand out from these pre-existing venues which provide rustic and/or natural beauty: The Carriage House, the state parks, a winery, the Taughannock Inn, and slightly farther afield, the MV Columbia. I've heard about weddings in all those places and they seem to be a known quantity. Honestly eating and partying in a barn sounds kind of gross to me but clearly I'm not who you'd be marketing to.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:31 PM

102 posts, read 235,297 times
You'll probably want to look in one of the surrounding towns that don't have zoning: Enfield, Newfield, and Caroline.

Like tchemgrrl wrote, there's already a ton of venues for weddings; vineyard/winery tasting rooms, parks, inns, hotels, and the like.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:52 AM

93,649 posts, read 124,375,652 times
Is the market underserved in the Skaneateles and nearby areas in the Finger Lakes? I know that Geneva has some nice venues. So, it may depend on where in the Finger Lakes Region you are in.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:53 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,803,074 times
Ithaca can be a bit navel gazing, it's not likely most folks would go to Geneva for an event. As society evolves it seems church halls and social and fire halls might become less accessible to marrying folks. Maybe some fraction of folks would like a party barn, it seems frequently forgotten even locally that many Cornellians come to the land grant university with an agricultural or country-ish background.

There is a large barn that was restored maybe 20 years ago along NY 13 between Newfield and Alpine Junction (still Town of Newfield) marked "1883" - but it never seemed to find a use, and I think it had a for sale sign on it recently. I suspect the barn might have not much land associated with it anymore (for parking, septic system, etc.) so there could be challenges converting it to an event venue.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:54 AM

1,930 posts, read 2,045,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Ithaca can be a bit navel gazing, it's not likely most folks would go to Geneva for an event. As society evolves it seems church halls and social and fire halls might become less accessible to marrying folks. Maybe some fraction of folks would like a party barn, it seems frequently forgotten even locally that many Cornellians come to the land grant university with an agricultural or country-ish background.
I agree with the above statement. If you price it well and offer the right blend of partnerships with vendors and flexibility to do your own stuff, there's probably a market.

Also, I have no idea how many Cornellians come back for weddings, but you have to consider the huge contingent of them who come from downstate, where this sort of venue is in demand.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:21 AM

2,171 posts, read 3,322,499 times
It happens that I have a picture of the barn Ki0eh mentioned (from 2009):

Old 06-07-2015, 11:15 AM

229 posts, read 317,971 times
That's a beautiful one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York