Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2015, 08:29 PM

23 posts, read 26,804 times

Advertisements

I'm starting to have interviews in Middletown, NY and if I land a job will relocate around there. I don't want to go in blind so want to have an idea of relocation options. Rent in Orange County is too much, and I'm seeing that both Ulster and Sullivan are a reasonable commute from Middletown (looking at about 30 minutes). There are so many different towns to choose from!

My budget for rent is about $750. 1 or 2br, doesn't matter, I don't need a room. Where would I find the best apartments? Clean, safe, maybe H&Hw included.

Of these areas which has the best school district, or private schools?

As far as things to do, I don't mind hiking. Occasionally traveling. I usually have no problem figuring that out. Shopping and what not, I just need a grocery store that isn't overpriced.

So should I seek out a particular town or county, or if I get a job just browse Craigslist and the cheapest apartment wins
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 08:54 AM

40 posts, read 153,411 times
Ulster will be better than Sullivan in quality of life, but rents are unlikely to be cheaper than Orange. If you go to Sullivan, you will have to go over the Wurtsboro hill on 17 to get to Middletown. This could be a problem in the winter although it is a major road. Spots in Ulster to look at are Wallkill (not to be confused with town of Wallkill in Orange County, Walker Valley (near pine Bush) is a nice area. Most rentals are going to be accessory apartments in private homes or rental houses. There are not many complexes and they tend to be expensive ($1000 and up). Most rentals here do not include heat and that can be very expensive unless you are in an area with natural gas service (only in cities). I don;t know a great deal about Sullivan except that it is very depressed with all the old resorts closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: